Printed from: Tredegar Forum
Topic URL: http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7553
Printed on: 02/09/2014

Topic:

Topic author: andrewhill07
Subject: Yabsley family
Posted on: 22/12/2010 18:32:45
Hi
Anyone know anything about the Yabsley family in Tredegar . Lottie May Yabsley of Commercial street(can t make out the number on certificate) daughter of a baker , John Allen Yabsley, married Hubert Hill in 1916 in
the parish church bedwelty.
Would appreciate any info
thanks
andrew

Replies:

Reply author: Bryan Rendell
Replied on: 22/12/2010 21:51:21
When I was in Tredegar Grammar School in the 1950's there was a boy in my class - Graham Yabsley. If my memory serves me right the family had a business in Tredegar. Was it a butchery business?

Reply author: emrys
Replied on: 23/12/2010 02:20:32
The Yabsley family were once well known in Tredegar, prominent at Tredegar Horse Show from the 1900's until at least the late 1940's.There is a photo of Jack Yabsley taking first prize at a horse show in the book "Tredegars Yesterdays" By W.C. Lewis.I knew many of the family including Lottie and her husband,(who lived on Market St at one time), Cyril, and Colin. Colin and I attended Earl St school together in the 30's and I played many times in his house on Bournville Terrace. The Yabsleys had a store on Commercial st, believe it was a dairy business, (the photo shows Jack Y in a cart holding a large milk churn) but also had a bakery in Red Lion Square.
If I remember correctly the bakery was directly under a billiard hall. Another Yabsley was a prisoner of war with the Japanese and in poor shape when he returned home at the end of the war. Emrys

Reply author: morgan.m
Replied on: 23/12/2010 07:09:06
The only remaining member of the family from Bournville his Terry Yabsley now living in the Rassau Ebbw Vale

Reply author: Bryan Rendell
Replied on: 23/12/2010 09:39:37
I've found a photograph of Graham Yabsley when he was in my class in Tredegar Grammar School in the 1950's. I will send it to Pierre to put on the net.

I wonder if anyone can recognize anyone else?

Reply author: KenJ
Replied on: 23/12/2010 09:47:23
quote:
Another Yabsley was a prisoner of war with the Japanese and in poor shape when he returned home at the end of the war.

That would have been Ray Yabsley who worked in the Personnel Dept. at RTB Ebbw Vale in the late 1950/60s.

Reply author: fredd
Replied on: 23/12/2010 10:10:24
I did read elsewhere on the forum that Ray Yabsley was a member of the Tredegar Thespians.

Reply author: morgan.m
Replied on: 23/12/2010 15:10:01

As a boy in the early forthies I would help on the milkround with Desmond Davies covering the Dukestown area serving from churns of milk from the Horse and Cart through all weathers, the stable was at the back of the shop which was Mount St.
The family of 5 Sons Ray, Cryil, Colin, Graham and Terry Yabsley

Reply author: emrys
Replied on: 23/12/2010 15:11:36
Kelly's Directory for 1914 show a John Yabsley and Son operating a confectionery shop at 35 Commercial st. Emrys.

Reply author: pierre
Replied on: 23/12/2010 19:41:29
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

I did read elsewhere on the forum that Ray Yabsley was a member of the Tredegar Thespians.

Ray lived in Ashville in Georgetown till his death in the 80's. His wife died just last week. Ray was a very nice man. Spent many hours talking to him when I was a young boy.

Replied on: 24/12/2010 23:21:38
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

quote:
Originally posted by fredd

Ray lived in Ashville in Georgetown till his death in the 80's. His wife died just last week. Ray was a very nice man. Spent many hours talking to him when I was a young boy.

..I didn't know Mr and Mrs Ray Yabsley they sounded like lovely people,! That is sad news !! ....And back to ashville I remember visiting Old Mrs Hunt and I beleive her next door neighbours Mr and Mrs Evans , they were all lovely people !..

Replied on: 27/12/2010 19:38:53
Big Thanks to Bryan for the picture

Bryan added "Graham is in the middle row, 6th from the left - a nice looking dark haired boy. I'm on the end of that row"

Replied on: 27/12/2010 19:43:56

quote:
..I didn't know Mr and Mrs Ray Yabsley they sounded like lovely people,! That is sad news !! ....And back to ashville I remember visiting Old Mrs Hunt and I beleive her next door neighbours Mr and Mrs Evans , they were all lovely people !..

The Evans family are still in the same house, and the hunt family was in number 2 until a few months back. Remember Mr. and Mrs Straddling at number 1 Ashville ?

I went Christmas singing at that house when I was about 8. They asked us all in, sang for them for about 45 minutes, to be given 1p each. We did'nt go back the next year

Replied on: 27/12/2010 20:33:50
That's soooo..!!.. Funny Pierre ! My sides were splitting..!! and back to number 1 , I didnt know them, but back in my memory banks I can remember having a teacher called Mrs Stradling in Earl St School, who from memory I was told that Her family run a Green Grocers shop in Tredegar , And thinking again on that Note Maybe there was a method there ??

Reply author: cupcake
Replied on: 27/12/2010 20:50:41
Pierre,are we talking about 1p or 1d ?

Replied on: 27/12/2010 21:14:26
quote:
Originally posted by cupcake

Pierre,are we talking about 1p or 1d ?

..That's interesting Cupcake ,With the Old Penny [ 1D ] We had 240 of them to a pound and with the New Penny [ 1p ] We had 100 they called it decimalisation That was just another SCAM !!....

Reply author: salop
Replied on: 30/12/2010 22:09:38
I've been very interested over the Christmas holiday reading the thread "Yabsley family"in your genealogy forum.It brought back many memories of the wonderful people who filled my childhood in Tredegar.I was born in 1933 in Hill View and Ashville of course was directly behind us. My best mate was Ron Hunt,who sadly passed away last year and he lived at No2 with his parents, six brothers and two sisters.They were a fantastic family. It took a phone call today, to my sister, who still lives in Tredegar, to get the names of all the families in Ashville at that time from Mr Stradling at one end to Billie Price at the other. Carry on the good work.....it's a wonderful site. Best wishes to you all for a peaceful and healthy New Year.

Replied on: 30/12/2010 23:28:03
Well thank You Salop for the Two Excellent Posts Youve Posted and remembered and shared with us , and I'm Looking forward to Many,Many,more of your Very,Very Interesting memories and by the way I was very freindly with Alfie Hunt .

Reply author: lynne b
Replied on: 23/07/2011 15:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by andrewhill07

Hi
Anyone know anything about the Yabsley family in Tredegar . Lottie May Yabsley of Commercial street(can t make out the number on certificate) daughter of a baker , John Allen Yabsley, married Hubert Hill in 1916 in
thanks
andrew

Reply author: lynne b
Replied on: 23/07/2011 15:10:20
quote:

Hi
thanks
andrew

Hi Andrew, I have a great deal of info on the Yabsley family as Lottie was my great aunt and I lived in Tredegar for 17 years. I have been researching the Yabsley tree for many years. I would love to hear from you. Regards, Lynne(probably a cousin of ours)

Reply author: garyw
Replied on: 15/04/2012 23:42:19
I was at Tredegar Grammar School 1961-1968.Geraldine Yabsley was in the same class during the earlier years,

Reply author: hawkeye
Replied on: 16/04/2012 09:25:40
No 2 Ashville I beleive is still occupied by Michael Hunt? Is Mark Evans in No 3? Who lives in No 1?

Replied on: 16/04/2012 14:17:42
Stranglings were at number 1 Ashville, Mike Hunt did live at number 2 until a few years ago.

Reply author: mowser
Replied on: 19/04/2012 09:07:37
Iwas also in school with Geraldine and many years later worked with her in Carmarthen

Reply author: Lisa Evans
Replied on: 10/05/2012 19:31:30
quote:

Hi
thanks
andrew

John Yabsley... as well as having a daughter Lottie, had a son who in the First World War was a gunner in the Royal Field Artillery. He was one of many unfortunate soldiers that were gassed by the Germans.
His photo can be found on a website run by Shaun Maguire, but here is a direct link...
http://mw.shaunmcguire.co.uk/images/tredegar/yabsley_ja_tredegar.jpg
Believe he was John Yabsley, Gunner 138422, Royal Field Artillery

Reply author: Geraldine
Replied on: 11/06/2012 13:49:30
I am Geraldine nee Yabsley formerly of Tredegar . I live in Germany and have done so since I married my German husband nearly 40 years ago. I still teach English but just part time.It's strange to see my family being written about. My father was Ray Yabsley (ex Far East P.O:W:) and Welfare Officer for RTB Ebbw Vale.
My grandfather was Jack Yabsley, who was "gassed" in WW1 but survived and lived until 1963.
My name has also been mentioned by various contributors. Yes I did attend Tredegar Grammar School but definitely didn't work in Carmathen!!
Best wishes to all who knew me or my family.

Replied on: 11/06/2012 17:14:12
Sorry obviously another senior moment on my part! It was over 40 years ago

Replied on: 11/06/2012 18:51:15
Must have been Bev!!

Reply author: Geraldine
Replied on: 12/06/2012 12:53:30
For your information my sister Beverly has never worked in Carmathen either.

Replied on: 12/06/2012 15:26:45
Oh well!!

Reply author: maxdog
Replied on: 11/01/2014 19:24:16
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeye

No 2 Ashville I beleive is still occupied by Michael Hunt? Is Mark Evans in No 3? Who lives in No 1?

g edmunds

Reply author: maxdog
Replied on: 11/01/2014 19:38:10
Mrs Strangling lived at No1 with Mrs Hunt in No2 Mr and Mrs Corckly No3 and Mark Evens parents at No4.
All the best
Gazza

quote:
Originally posted by hawkeye

g edmunds

Replied on: 13/01/2014 10:04:10
Some more info from MaxDog

I lived the other end of the street on the opposite side in the dormer bungalow with parents and my younger but not better looking brother Michael who runs Mikes taxis in town. Great place to live at the time with a good bunch of kids to play with.

Tredegar Forum : http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/

© www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd

Close Window