Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 TOWN NEWS
 Local Evelections 2012 thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 15/04/2012 : 19:11:09
News, views ,information and comments about the local elections for Blaenau-Gwent thats taking part on May 3rd 2012

Tredegar Candidates

Georgetown
Keith Hayden Labour
Brian Jones Independent
John Morgan Labour

Tredegar Central & West
Nita Hobbs Labour
Mandy Moore Independent
Jason Owen Independent
Kenneth Sullivan Plaid Cymru
Steve Thomas Labour
Hadyn Trollope Labour
Bernard Willis Labour

Sirhowy
Malcolm Cross Labour
Tony Gregory Independent
Dennis Owens Labour
Diane Rowberry Labour
Brian Thomas Independent

All comments (non personnel) are welcomed on all of the candidates/party(s).

If you have any information in the form of flyers or posters pushed though your door, please send all copies to webteam@tredegar.co.uk.

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toniedcooking Posted - 15/06/2012 : 10:04:39
Need to keep this topic live for a while. Regards, TG

tg
Webteam Posted - 11/05/2012 : 12:54:49
COUNCIL ELECTIONS: Blaenau Gwent police probe leaflet 'libel'Source: SouthWalesArgus

POLICE are investigating a claim that campaign leaflets distributed by Labour candidates in Blaina contain "untruths" about former council leader Des Hillman.

The sitting independent councillor for Blaina says information endorsed by Labour candidates Lisa Winnett, Nicola James and Bob Pagett, stating he was sacked as council leader is false because he resigned.

He also says that claims on the same leaflet saying a Welsh Audit Office investigation found a senior manager was paid a six-figure redundancy package based on false information given by him is wrong, because, he says, the report found the decision to award the payment was lawful. Cllr Hillman claims the comments along with the headline "Des(aster)" are damaging to his reputation and this was the latest attempt to turn voters against him.

He said: "They are trying to damage my name. It's libellous. If what they have written is a lie, it is illegal. I am disgusted with them that they have stooped this low."

Cllr Steve Thomas, deputy leader of the Labour party in Blaenau Gwent, who printed the leaflets, denied Mr Hillman's claims that the information was false.

He said the party stood by what it had printed because it was a matter of public record, and they were complying with police enquiries.

A spokeswoman for Gwent Police confirmed officers were making enquiries into an allegation that a false statement of fact had been made relating to a candidate in the Blaina area.

Webteam Posted - 11/05/2012 : 12:51:08
A hat trick for Labour in Blaenau Gwent as the party regains the councilSource: WalesOnLine

A resurgent Labour completed a hat-trick of election victories to reclaim Blaenau Gwent with a landslide victory over the Independents.

Buoyed by the last elections to Westminster and the National Assembly, Labour were confident they would take back a council they had lost for the first time in 2008.

But members said even their own expectations were exceeded by the results, as Labour gained 15 seats for a commanding 33-9 majority.

Speaking on the podium as his own seat was secured, Labour leader Hedley McCarthy described it as a “great day for Blaenau Gwent, and a great day for the people of Blaenau Gwent”.

Several high-profile cabinet members in the current administration lost their seats, including Executive Members for Regeneration (Don Wilcox), Leisure Services (Jason Owen), Social Services (John Rogers).and Resources (John Taylor).

However, the departing council leader, John Mason, escaped the fate of his compatriots in Merthyr Tydfil, Ceredigion and others as he retained his seat in the Nantyglo ward.

That axe fell instead on former leader Des Hillman, who was ousted from his Blaina seat by Labour candidates.

Mr Hillman resigned in October after what he described as “skullduggery” and “dirty politics” from his own ruling group, after a report from Estyn – who placed the borough's education in special measures – led to mounting political pressure to step down.

Speaking after the results, an emotional Coun McCarthy said a string of seats being taken in the Ebbw Fach Valley, a strip that includes Abertillery, Cwmtillery and Six Bells, had been particularly pleasing as the borough had “returned to normality”.

“We did suffer a bad defeat four years but I feel we've more than made up for it tonight. I'm just very pleased and very pleased for my colleagues who were elected”, he said.

“We're all very pleased with the result and the majority. We were expecting to take control of the council, but whether we expected to take it on this scale is another matter. It does slightly outstretch our expectations.

“ I want to run an inclusive council, I'm hoping we can run a happier council than previous.

“In a peculair sort of way although I feel we've wasted a lot of time during the last term, opposition has taught me some lessons.

“I intend to avoid repeating mistakes that have been made previously and I'm a firm believer in two wrongs don't make a right, so I'm not looking to retaliate for anything that's gone on previously.

“I think we'll be looking at the structures of the council and how we can make scrutiny more effective and robust. We're going to need to discuss these things with senior officials. What I also expect to be able to do is to talk to colleagues at the Welsh Assembly, to have a relationship with colleagues at Westminster and indeed in the European Parliament wherever we can see it will benefit the people of Blaenau Gwent.”

toniedcooking Posted - 09/05/2012 : 23:38:46
I rest my case on the backlash as it was nationwide not just in Sirhowy. And my posts never made any promises as I wouldn't promise some thing I didn't know I could deliver. However if I said I would try and do something, then I would do everything in my power to do it. Regards, TG

tg
miss Kizzy Posted - 09/05/2012 : 17:47:55
I was trying to kind, so muppits it is. Ha Ha, One do look like kermit the frog.
GOM Posted - 09/05/2012 : 15:37:09
Didn't you mean the MUPPITS miss kizzy

The

G.O.M.

miss Kizzy Posted - 09/05/2012 : 15:05:03
I hope things will get better. However, I'm feeling uneasy when there is one party who have complete control in all of the wards in Tredegar. Animal farm comes to mind.
XXXmiltonXXX Posted - 07/05/2012 : 20:49:29
Yes GOM I do agree :-)

XXXmiltonXXX
GOM Posted - 07/05/2012 : 20:43:16
Each to there own time will tell.

Just remember it wasn't just the bankers that got this country in such a mess the LABOUR party had a hand in it to.

Mind Cameron and cohorts are just a bunch of arrogant school boys any wonder why people couldn't vote.

The

G.O.M.

XXXmiltonXXX Posted - 07/05/2012 : 20:31:36
Why would you assume that the Sirhowy block votes were obviously a backlash against the present government? It is quite possible that the people of the Sirhowy ward wanted to vote Labour, hence voted for the 3 Labour candidates. It was not only in the Sirhowy ward that this occurred, it happened in other wards across BG.
TG – your comment that it is much easier to make a promise than to bring it to fruition, was this part of your election campaign? And would you be saying this if you had been successful?
I happen to think that all three of the elected Labour councillors in the Sirhowy ward will make great representatives.

XXXmiltonXXX
toniedcooking Posted - 07/05/2012 : 14:11:10
If anyone has or knows someone who has, an idea for a new business, the person to get in touch with is the enterprise facilitator. His name is Moe Forouzon and contact details. Tel 07554423267. Email moe@bgeffect.com .There is a lot of help and information available. Regards,TG.

tg
toniedcooking Posted - 07/05/2012 : 14:05:39
Sorry I haven't been on before this but had a chest infection and felt pants.Thanks to everyone who voted for me. The labour group in the Sirhowy ward had a block vote of around 580 which was an obvious backlash against the present government. Congrats to Malcholm ,who I think will make an excellent representative. I'm bitterly disapointed not to get elected but will still try to put constructive ideas forward.
There was mention of councillors making promises before the election. Let me remind you all of a few that the Labour group made in writing.
ZERO TOLERANCE to anti social behaviour.
Protect services while keeping council taxes low.
Take bold action to protect homes, jobs and businesses.
Everyone make a note of these and remind their councillors every couple of months. Its much easier to make promises than it is to bring them to fruition.

tg
XXXmiltonXXX Posted - 07/05/2012 : 12:38:40
I do agree with points you are raising and i hope that the councillors who have been successful in the recent elections support their wards well. Good luck to them xxx

XXXmiltonXXX
Fluffpants Posted - 06/05/2012 : 13:32:43
Kay, what you don't realise is that Tredegar is set to have a revamp with investment in the town centre (its already started with grant funding you may have noticed the Cambrian). A hotel in bryn Bach parc and continued investment in the Park. This is from the last four years not the next five. But I am sure that your councillors will take credit for the hard work others have put in before them. Say what you like about Jason, but he worked hard for all of Tredegar.

I cant wait to see your future remarks about your new councillors, lets see what they do for you....

I'm not having a nasty dig, but better the devil you know..
kay16 Posted - 06/05/2012 : 12:49:13
Hi XXXmiltonXXX, you think i got strong views lol believe me i am a ***** cat compared to how some people feel down here. I know they are human and make mistakes but this wasn't a mistake [as in fail to understand as meaning in a dictionary] he understood exactly what was going on,how we felt and then totally disregarded everything he swore to do which was fight for our rights.And like is said it shows no matter how hard you have worked before or all the good work,which he has done over the years,all counted for nothing by his one lack of judgement because of his personal view.
Going forward as he is no longer a councillor i don't have to judge him now but all i can say is the Jason i knew years ago was a good,decent,honest bloke [as i have always said]but over the last few years [head turning influence's i don't know, maybe?] he has changed and sadly i'm not the only one to say this.
Hopefully now tommysmith04 there will be a better distribution of money etc into not only Tredegar but also the other towns who like us have been sadly neglected over the years and maybe Ebbw will stop being the be all and end all of B/Gwent. Fingers crossed.
tommysmith04 Posted - 06/05/2012 : 12:08:57
Lets just give them all a chance. I agree with milton,
XXXmiltonXXX Posted - 06/05/2012 : 11:24:22
Kay, you obviosuly have a strong opinion, did you not stand as a candidate?
I think we have to remember that all councillors are just human. Yes they are paid to do a job but we as the public have to be flexible because at the end of the day we are all human and mistakes can be made. Are you going to judge Jason Owens on this going forward?

XXXmiltonXXX
kay16 Posted - 05/05/2012 : 18:17:49
To be honest Pierre we only had 3 people standing so i don't think the result was much of a suprise do you?
kay16 Posted - 05/05/2012 : 18:14:14
Pierre,Do you honestly think if our new councillors don't play fair by us i would not behave the same?It doesn't matter to me if they are Independents,Labour or anything else,if they don't represent us as they should then i will have enough to say.
pierre Posted - 04/05/2012 : 20:51:30
Hi Kay16,

Must say I did think of you when I seen the result for Georgetown,
Wonder what type of "normal " job you go back to after being a councillor?

kay16 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 19:31:45
Well what can i say about last night's result?
The only thing i will say is that most of the people i have had dealings with regarding Woodfield have all been kicked out,Jason,Hillman,Rodgers,Wilcox. Am i happy-yes for 3 of them but for Jason i'm sad because he started off years ago with the correct attitude--to be of as much help to all us residents down here as he possible could and he was,couldn't fault him but the further up he went the more he forgot about what was best for us and seemed to only remember what was expected of him by the controling independents[or doing what he's been told to do maybe,who knows] and by doing this and forgetting about doing what his voters wanted he has now lost everything,all those years of good work lost!Yes i'm sad for him but he has NO-ONE except himself to blame,he knew our feelings and totally disregarded his duty as our elected councillor to fight for us, so there is no point in him blaming anyone else except himself for his lost seat!
I hope this serves as a warning for all councillors who were elected yesterday---- Please don't ever forget who you represent because one mistake and the voters definatley won't forget, no matter how much good work you have done before.
So good luck to them all and hopefully they can put right some of the mess that the previous council caused and we not only as a town but as a county can see a big improvement. Fingers crossed.
PS can we have our park back now?
Fluffpants Posted - 04/05/2012 : 15:14:03
Do you honestly think that the people were voted in, it was the party that people voted for.....most people just want to send Cameron a message. Not all the Labour candidates voted in last night do thier job well, if at all....
morris1975 Posted - 04/05/2012 : 14:36:17
Standing in line marking time--
Waiting for the welfare dime
'Cause they can't buy a job
The man in the silk suit hurries by
As he catches the poor old ladies' eyes
Just for fun he says "Get a job"

That's just the way it is
Some things will never change
But don't you believe them

They say hey little boy you can't go
Where the others go
'Cause you don't look like they do
Said hey old man how can you stand
To think that way
Did you really think about it
Before you made the rules
He said, Son

Well they passed a law in '64
To give those who ain't got a little more
But it only goes so far
Because the law won't change another's mind
When all it sees at the hiring time
Is the line on the color bar

Brian Jones Posted - 04/05/2012 : 14:02:31
I would just like to say "Thank You" to the people that did vote for me yesterday. Hopefully the people of Georgetown will get the support that is needed to make it a better community and something can be done about the issues that have been raised, for example the state of the roads, lack of parking and increased facilities for young people. I will, however, continue to try to make a difference and support the residents.
XXXmiltonXXX Posted - 04/05/2012 : 13:25:03
:-) :-) :-) happy happy happy. wat a great night! I am a very happy Lady, not only for a special someone but for Tredegar as a whole. Great results all round, RED Tredegar :-) well done to you all, you fought well for your seats and you deserve them. I am proud of Tredegar and i put my trust and faith in the elcected to represent me :-) xxx well done all xxx

XXXmiltonXXX

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.