Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Picture Quiz

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KenJ Posted - 05/05/2012 : 12:52:26
One for the older members:
Where was this location?

20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cae Posted - 22/05/2012 : 13:05:17
Regarding Workmen's Hall shows -I've still not been able to identify a young lady in a photo - she's the only one in that group that I've still not got a name for - despite being in the group myself I have absolutely no idea who she is. If anyone would be kind enough to take a look - could you click on link and it's the very first photo in 1976 - she's the girl in middle of front row- with her hands clasped. I'd say she'd be around early 40s now- does anyone know who she is? Worth another try!

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
theduch Posted - 15/05/2012 : 20:12:29
One of those seats downstairs has my initials carved in it by an over eager admirer during the sat morn pics, needless to say I was not impressed and moved seats.
KenJ Posted - 13/05/2012 : 00:13:54
Anyone remember the pledge?
Kids would be called up on to the stage to recite it.

A great honour....

"I promise to serve my town, my country and the world."
philg Posted - 12/05/2012 : 21:31:55
I'm a little surprised that nobody has commented on the Saturday morning film shows for children.
The noise bafore the lights went down was always tremendous until Mr. Price, the Manager appeared on the stage. One or two shouts from him always seemed to have a calming effect on the screaming hordes bafore the programme of short films, including an episode of a serial with a "cliff hanger" ending.
I also remember the annual trips for the children who attended these matinees, organised by the Workmens Hall, to places like Bristol Zoo, Porhtcawl etc. There would be a fleet of buses parked down the bottom of the "Prom" to accomodate all the children. In the weeks before the trip there seemed to be a lot of trading in tickets so that friends could travel together.
A simple pleasure during happy times.
Cae Posted - 12/05/2012 : 19:49:07
For those who haven't seen it - plenty of photos of the Workmen's Hall stage in full use on site below - the Starlight Parade shows were held there until 1981 and there's also more "golden oldies" in the "In The Beginning" page.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
butch Posted - 06/05/2012 : 23:43:04
many a worldwide artiste of yesteryear performed on the stage of the workmans hall,also choirs,brass band contests,and was of course the home of the wonderful operatic society when they had sellout shows five nights on the trot. if the national lottery had started a year or so earlier i think that wonderful building would still be standing.
fizz Posted - 06/05/2012 : 20:21:20
Oh what memories these pictures bring back. I remember my Mam taking me to see the Starlight Parade on Christmas and, to me, a Westend show couldn't have been better than that. That huge (well it seemed huge to me at the time) stage and those big curtains. I remember going to see Grease about seven times with my friends. Berniece (if I remember correctly) was the lady in the ticketbooth.
tarkus Posted - 06/05/2012 : 17:58:38
bobby buttons

indarkistplumstead Posted - 06/05/2012 : 10:56:43
you forgot strawberry mivies,orange maid the drink on a stick.please please bring back corona cherryade(made in wales)
KenJ Posted - 06/05/2012 : 00:28:05
quote:
I Also remember them Women with the torches Who had great Delight shining them in Our faces

Yeah - guardians of local moral values.
No undue display of affection allowed...
fredd Posted - 05/05/2012 : 22:54:21
quote:
Originally posted by KenJ

....a permanent haze of cigarette smoke, Pearl and Dean ads and the playing of God Save the Queen at the end of show.

..... Yep .. !! There Was Plenty of smoke. The Pearl and Dean ads, I'd Probably Scarpered, by the time god save the queen came on .. I Also remember them Women with the torches Who had great Delight shining them in Our faces .. .. .. ..
KenJ Posted - 05/05/2012 : 21:09:32
....a permanent haze of cigarette smoke, Pearl and Dean ads and the playing of God Save the Queen at the end of show.
Peregrine Honeydew Posted - 05/05/2012 : 20:35:03
...............and a Westlers Hot-Dog. (pure minced lips and gizzards) Yum!

tarkus Posted - 05/05/2012 : 19:44:24
And the kia-ora

fredd Posted - 05/05/2012 : 19:38:55
Gosh .. !!, Memories of them Chipmunk Oxo Crisps are flowing back .. .. .. !!
Snowy Posted - 05/05/2012 : 16:08:47
Smashing pics, lovely memories, & I'm sure I speak for lots when I say it should still be here !!!!
pierre Posted - 05/05/2012 : 15:21:15
Used to love the hall

KenJ Posted - 05/05/2012 : 14:25:33
Yes ..too easy I guess.
Here's another reminder of what used to be a great local venue:

milkman Posted - 05/05/2012 : 13:59:48
Foyer of "The Hall".
You could buy ice cream there
(A mezzanine floor before you got "upstairs")
uncle bob Posted - 05/05/2012 : 13:10:35
upstairs of olympia cinema?
but could well be workmens hall cinema?
was a long time ago when we had good summers and real winters

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.