A building now gone
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GOM

United Kingdom
3716 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  18:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dose anyone know the history of what was Gwent Bar Queen Street before it was knocked down for houses.

As I understand it it was once an undertakers.

How old was the building was it used as part of the chicken ranch, was it anything to do with the cottages near now long gone.

The

G.O.M.

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  19:12:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was Nothing to do with the chicken farm, Apart from it belonged to ( Sam's ) Brother, Obviously You Know who Sam was, It was an Undertakers, If You take the time to look at the windows above the front doors, about six doors down the terrace in queen st You'll see the a Leaded glass window with the Guys name and profession,
Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  21:17:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can You remember Trevor with the GSD,s .. ??
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2013 :  21:29:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew Trevor with his German dogs was also a Judge of German Sheperds travelling around the country, his brother Sam was also a well known building contractor who done quite a lot of work on my house in the fifties
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3716 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  09:22:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that yes interesting and I do know about the house with the window a part of history that i hope survives and doesn't get removed.

No I didn't know about Trevor and the dogs or where he lived was he local? Am I right in believing one of them was also a butcher?

I also understand that the old house about to be demolished any time soon was also in the same family.

Back to the building any idea when it was built and what other uses it has had?

Any history on the old cottages just up from there that are long gone.

The

G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  13:01:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi GOM
Trevor lived in Walter Conway, there was another brother Lou whom had a son Brinley who lived in Bedwellty Pits and I believe he was in the meat business
Go to Top of Page

milkman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  15:00:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading Mike's comment this was probably Brinley Gunter who ould now be 81.
Is he still around?
(I also recall Sam Gunter)
Go to Top of Page

elynedd

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  18:00:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi.My uncle married [I was bridesmaid aged 6/7] a lovely lady called Delma Gunter and around 1963 I visited her folks to see all the chicks in a big 'heated by light/infra red' pen.Does anyone know if this was her family?
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3716 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  18:37:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has become a fascinating story despite not finding out much about the building.

I understand that the Gunter family were related to Avril the lady that was murdered by a young lad she was looking after/adopted?

This leads me to yet another question as to why and when the old house came into disrepair and dereliction, and was it the Gunters that built the building (ex Gwent Bar)? I guess it was long before the housing estate (Cefin) was built.

Any old pics would be interesting

The

G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  19:00:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Avril was the Daughter of Sam Gunter
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3716 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2013 :  20:00:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your input much appreciated its fascinating common peoples history and stories of there life have always interested me and far better that some king or queen that we only know what they want us to.

The

G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  23:39:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly, I read Yesterday that Trevor Gunter Has Very Recently Past away, and His funeral is on Thursday .. .. 21 / 2 / 2013 ..
Go to Top of Page

tomboy

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2014 :  02:17:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the boy that murdered avril was her adopted son Darren. Avril married burrs the newsagents that sold papers out of his garage. the building if i think is the one you are talking about was the gwent bar fitters just below the chicken farm.
Go to Top of Page

coop
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2014 :  07:31:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All
I lived by Trevor for many years and found it fascinating listening to him talk of his family. Trevor's ex-wife Gwyneth still lives in Walter Conway and I am sure she could answer many of your questions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.