Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Tredegar Town Council
 Town Clock - UPDATE - SIGN ONLINE PETITION HERE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  11:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Your town clock is the centre of your town and a beautiful and truly unique structure. I have read thru various Welsh News Sites that it stopped working in January due to rain and has yet to be repaired. News of Wales unfortunately is extremely rare if not non existant in Australia and I was wondering if any towns folk can give me any info as to the delays in repairs... Or is it the Local Council that I read so much about in these terrifically informing forums? Thanks for your time.

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 03/05/2007 21:30:22

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:19:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because the clock is going to cost 100,000 to repair it.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  14:02:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swahili sheila

because the clock is going to cost 100,000 to repair it.

100,000 sounds overinflated to me.
Unless of course, the whole top part of the clock, needs to be taken away for repair.
But as we pay more council tax than the other towns in the borough, there should be money available for the repair.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  21:36:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100 grand????? who's repairing it? da vinci?! Will the council take the workings of the clock, place it in the park and use some of the grant money (council clock investigative fund - council clock repair fund - council clock water proofing scheme - etc etc etc)to repair it? Geez that's alota money. It needs to be repaired though.... 4 months not working???? is that right? ...makes one hell of a sundial though, eh councillors??

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 08/04/2007 22:15:10
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  01:27:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem is it's a "listed" structure which means it has to be restored in a manner which does not compromise the original historic integrity.
Hence the high cost involved.
Still, 100 grand seems a bit excessive..
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  14:56:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why dont they take it to gus jones's,or lloydy in the market he'l do it
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  21:41:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superb! we have Jones The Clock and LLoyd The Clock willing to Fix The Clock.... Give 'em the 100 grand! Keep the money local.
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  09:30:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think the grant money is being spent on the clock.:-(
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  11:17:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all reality, I guess the grant money should not be spent on the clock, as it is set aside for beautification for the park etc. However the taxes you good people pay, as you say, should more than cover it. It is THE TOWN CLOCK! Are they using the clocks original builders or a subsidiary thereof? Or has the repair process gone to a tender? Ta...
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  14:56:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure when i read the gwent gazette about a montth ago they said it was gonna cost 100,000 to repair the clock but yet has there been any repairs done?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2007 :  22:37:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gimme the address of the council, see what they think of a letter from 10,000 miles away...
MAINTAIN THE RAGE!
Cheers.

aussiecymraeg
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  09:28:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure of the address but if you send a letter to Municipal Offices, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6XB. Im sure some one will recieve your complaint
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  10:30:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Thanks Swahili. I shall draft a letter and maybe post it on the forum so you and others can tell me if/where I go wrong and any ideas you may have regards the input. Here's a thought.... hows about a petition? Signed not only by towns people but Tredegar/Welsh expats around the world? Lets put the boot into these powerticians, oops sorry politicians. Perhaps nothing will come of it, however if it takes off perhaps the local media might be interested? Please let me know your thoughts... And Pierre? What say you to a Petition Page on the forum? It might be a good place to start as it seems to be the hub of the town. Thanks all....

aussiecymraeg
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:26:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Petition Page - Surething.

We need somebody to come up with:-

Write a short statement of the problem
Clearly request what you would like done
Indicate who has organised the petition (www.Tredegar.co.uk ?)

With the above I can start the ball rolling....

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:55:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!!! As regards Point 3, the organisation behind the petition I think www.tredegar.co.uk is perfect. As for points 1 (myself being ignorant, other than rain stopped it working and councils refusal to free up the necessary funds) & 2 (fix it) how about a 'think tank' with forum posts from all interested persons/parties and then maybe a vote on the best wording-Democracy at work. Or we leave it to Pierre-Autocracy at work. Unless there is a government independant body for the betterment of Tredegar that it could be referred to, that has your trust. Lets get this happening people. Everyone throw your hat in the ring as soon as possible. Pierre, perhaps a time/date limit on the forum topic so we can get this to the people in power asap, as councils are notoriously slow, lets overwhelm them.

aussiecymraeg
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  12:04:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sondsgood. Everybody to add to this thread for the structure of the Petition to get the clock up and working again by say, the end of Monday 25 April - Tredegar Time ;-)

Anybody that wants to add to this but does not have an account with the forum, please sign up now :-

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/policy.asp

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2007 :  23:10:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To sign petition please click on the link below and scroll down. Any positive input welcome.
Thanks...

http://petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=3850

P.S. Thanks to Bugs for the heads up re the petition site.
The petition is also highlighted on the petitionthem.com homepage here - http://petitionthem.com/default.asp

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 26/04/2007 08:30:52
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  10:26:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody needs to sign this petition. Also forward the link it everybody you know that has an interest in the town.
Go to Top of Page

Don Alexander Davies

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  20:53:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The petition needs to be addressed to Dr. John Evans (Town Clerk) since Tredegar Town Council are directly responsible for the town clock and its upkeep NOT Blaenau Gwent CBC.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  21:05:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. Would you have a postal address for Mr. Evans? I can then rectify the petition.

HELP GET THE CLOCK WORKING. PLEASE CLICK THE LINK

http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  22:31:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The below message Cross posted from other forum"

Its a good call Don, and an easy mistake to make. I would still direct the petition to the MD of the local Council. If its going to be passed down to another (if you like sub) Council, so be it.. Always go to the head of the well, its worked for me before (http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18).

My reasoning for this is that it is the council in Ebbw-Vale that gets our money each month in the way of Council Tax !

Also, how come that Blaenau Gwent Council are also using the Town Clock on its own web-site if its is not responsible for the up-keep and running of it ?
http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/7961.asp

Maybe they should add a few things more to it that they are not responsible for ?

On a similar note Don, would you happen to know what else comes under the town council list of responsibilities ? I'm sure we are all keen to know. No mention of ANY responsibilities were mentioned on the councils web-site, or in the documentation provided to all council tax payers with our latest Council tax bill (but sadly, the cost to the town Council via our Council Tax was.......)

Best I shut up now before I explode and pull the plug on the Web-server and move to Bristol !
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  22:46:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't Tredegar Town Council, a division of Blaenau Gwent Council?
As it gets its funding from BGC and has to abide by BGC rules?
So stop trying to pass the buck Don.

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2007 :  22:56:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, Bristol City Council has 300 photos of Bristol on it's website.
The downside, is that they charge between 15 and 30 each for them.

http://buy.bristol.gov.uk/bristol%5Fcity%5Fcouncil%5Fphoto%5Flibrary/

I spot a business opportunity.

Edited by - Chris on 26/04/2007 23:00:43
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  10:08:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good idea. I'll get the camera out this weekend and stick the pic's on e-bay.

All monies to the clock fund.....
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  10:22:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be my bid.... and how does one donate to the clock fund?

HELP GET THE CLOCK WORKING. PLEASE CLICK THE LINK

http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=3850

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 27/04/2007 10:45:27
Go to Top of Page

Don Alexander Davies

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2007 :  11:49:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre, are you a Tredegarite ? Surely you are aware of Tredegar Town Council's Dr. John Evans (Town Clerk) and where he's based ? Have you ever visited Bedwellty House ? He's H.Q.'d there and he's in the telephone book and I'm sure John will supply you with details of what Tredegar T.C. is responsble for.The Town Council's funds are provided for by a separate precept within the overall Council Tax Bill, that's one of the reasons why we pay more than someone else living elsewhere in Blaenau Gwent. I also didn't realise Tredegar T.C. had a website. By the way Bristol is nice !!
NIHIL ILLIGITIMO CARBORUNDUM !!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.9 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.