New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  22:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone installed windows 10 yet? Or do you consider it to be early days to do so.

I was forced into buying a laptop with windows 8 last year because windows 7 was no longer available, and now they seem to be dumping it, just my luck

I downloaded Classic Shell which gave me back the start menu and some other familiar features we all liked with windows 7. This made it much more user friendly for me. Would I need to uninstall classic shell before installing windows 10?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks lilly

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2378 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  00:01:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
too early to give advice on this they need to sort out some bugs before i have a go at windows 10
Go to Top of Page

keith

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  00:42:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have downloaded and installed, all has gone well so far very nice compared to windows 8, much more user friendly and they also give you the choice when installing whether to keep your files from your current operating system or make a clean install. Lilly you should be able to install without removing classic shell before going ahead but there are plenty of review from other windows 10 users online should help you decide whether or not to upgrade.

Edited by - keith on 30/07/2015 00:44:39
Go to Top of Page

barnboy

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  18:49:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installed Windows 10 today have tried it out for approximately 5hrs and up 'till now all has been O.K (fingers crossed)!

jmce
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2015 :  21:24:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been using the beta versions in a VM for the last few months. Not going to upgrade till the first batch up updates are released (there will be loads of them!)......

Go to Top of Page

keanjo
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
787 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2015 :  22:17:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, I wonder whether you could give the computer illiterates like me , a nod when you think it is the right time to download W10.
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  18:44:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for delay in responding. I have trouble with my Sky broadband, the connection keeps dropping out and I'm left looking at the orange light for a couple of hours. Sky monitoring it now for me, so fingers crossed.

Glad to know that it has been successful so far for both keith and barnboy, that is very encouraging.
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2015 :  20:10:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have installed windows10 this week. No problems at all so far, I like it.
User friendly and uncomplicated to install. Much better than windows8 I think.

Go to Top of Page

keanjo
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
787 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2015 :  22:14:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After some initial problems, windows 10 installed and after a week or so of use I can confirm the positive comments of other forum members
Go to Top of Page

ddraig
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
703 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2015 :  09:22:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had windows 10 now for three weeks and to be honest I can't see much difference, it took me a while to find everything (it's like having a husband who puts everything back where it wasn't) I do think it's probably more useful for tablets and phones because of the apps but it's fine, although to tell the truth I was happy with xp and only had a new computer because it was defunct.
Couldn't transfer my bookmarks from firefox to the edge though, anyone know how to do this?

Go to Top of Page

silverback
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  12:57:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Microsoft Spying on Windows 8.1/8/7 Users

Microsoft may be 'giving' Windows 10 away for free to Windows 8.1 and 7 SP1 users but they are still expecting payment. Only it isn't a payment in cash instead they are collecting much more data on the users of their operating systems.
They've clearly taken a leaf out of Google's book, who make their money by tracking user activity on the web, then using that information to show targeted advertising.

No doubt Microsoft are hoping to do something similar with everything they find out about Windows users. Google left them behind a long time ago in this regard but the release of Windows 10 could change that.

This data can include how long you use apps and which features you use the most, snapshots of memory to investigate crashes, and so on.

But what happens if you don't fancy Microsoft collecting your details? You may think that the answer is to simply stick with your existing Windows system and not make the switch to Windows 10.

Alas, that won't work. Microsoft are using the latest round of Windows patches to push out updates to Windows 8.1/8/7 that will also start collecting data on what users do.

If you've got Automatic Updates turned on, they may already be on your PC.

While the data is anonymous, it is still a cheek that Microsoft expect to be able to collect this information without mentioning it to you especially as you bought and paid for your Windows 8.1/8/7 system a long time ago.

Fortunately, the nosey updates can be removed once they have been installed. Simply open the Control Panel, then click on Programs and Features.

Click on the View installed updates link on the left-hand side, then scroll through the list and find the updates below:
KB3068708
KB3075249
KB3080149
(check the update number given in brackets at the end of the update name).

Click each in turn, then click on the Uninstall button to remove the update. This will ensure that Microsoft are not performing Windows 10 style data collection on your Windows 8.1/8/7 system.

S.B.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  17:10:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true Silverback, the problem is that you cannot (like other Windows versions) switch off auto installing on Windows 10, so they will be installed again.

This is a game stopper for a large IT department who need to check what the patch does before going live with it.....

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  10:22:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
install a non-microsoft firewall and block traffic to/from microsoft

sean
Go to Top of Page

Blobby

United Kingdom
132 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2015 :  19:53:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just upgraded my main pc to win 10. No problems, except for not recognising my till network at first. a reboot sorted that. I had problems installing software i downloaded before, now able to download and install.Programs seem to launch quicker.
Go to Top of Page

barryt

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2015 :  10:58:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using Windows 10 for about three months now and had one or two minor problems at the start but managed to sort them out in the end. For instance it wouldn't let me use Google Chrome as my browser which I prefer because you don't get all these pop-up ads that plague Internet Explorer. At first it would not let me use my Samsung laser printer either but I solved that by uninstalling the original software and downloading new free from Samsung so on the whole I am quite happy with it now.
Go to Top of Page

silverback
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
403 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2015 :  12:24:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get Ready for the Next Windows

It might seem only 5 minutes since Windows 10 was first released but it is actually getting on for 4 months.
Microsoft haven't been letting the grass grow under their feet in that time, they've been hard at work on the next update for Windows 10.

Code named Threshold 2, the new update doesn't provide any new features as such to the operating system but rather fixes a number of problems that Microsoft should have sorted out before Windows 10 was released in the first place.

The fixes include the removal of black tabs when opening a page in the Edge browser, improvements have been made to the Windows Store to make downloads more reliable and also saved login details will no longer be lost.

The new Windows 10 version also cures a problem on the Start menu when shortcuts simply disappear if you have too many programs installed.

Furthermore, Microsoft's OneNote notebook tool is better integrated with the Cortana personal assistant in this update.

Microsoft have already released this updated Windows 10 to their 'Windows Insider' previewers and you can expect it to be pushed out to all Windows 10 users via the Windows Update service in the near future.

At the same time, Microsoft are also working on a more far reaching update to Windows 10, code named Redstone, which is due to be released by the end of 2016.

Details of Redstone are sketchy at the moment but it seems that Microsoft are planning to use the update to unify all of your devices running Windows 10, so that the same application will run on your PC, tablet and phone.

They've also stated that they don't plan to release any more versions of Windows in the future Windows 10 will be the last.

Instead, they will release updates to Windows 10, the first being Redstone, which will introduce new features.

So, if you're wondering whether it is worth making the switch to Windows 10, the answer is yes if you qualify for the free upgrade Microsoft are offering to Windows 8.1/7 users.

Doing so will ensure that you have access to future Windows updates from Microsoft.

S.B.

Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

315 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2016 :  22:46:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone who missed the boat on the free upgrade to Windows 10, can still access a free upgrade via a loophole for assistive technology users. No idea how long this service will remain live, but might be worth using if you missed the deadline:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade?tduid=(3d0a9b914f4e1448707e8ed162c69bb7)(266696)(1503186)(skim33330X911647Xa68e5caea18d748c47809d1b2ce9d04b)()

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.