Tredegar Health Centre G.P.'s
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2017 :  00:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A relative has informed me that they have received a letter regarding Dr. Ahmed and Dr. Khan of Tredegar Health Centre. They have notified the Health Board that they wish to resign their General Medical Services Contract on the 31st March 2017.

Gareth
Advanced Member

446 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2017 :  10:13:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not surprising - they are both in their 70's - Problem is they can't find anyone to replace them.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05
Advanced Member

760 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2017 :  12:28:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have had one of these letters. It says that 'Aneurin Bevan University Health Board will run the practice from April 1st, initially for 6 months to ensure that you can access GP services as normal. Dr Ahmed and Dr Khan will remain as GPs employed by the Health Board. The Health Board are considering all options available for the future of GP services, and will make recommendations on the best way forward. So we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Have_A_Drink_On_Me

5 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2017 :  13:54:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called the health board earlier, they said nothing will change at the moment, just that Dr Ahmed and Dr Khan will work for them instead of practising as independent. During the next 6 months the practice would be up for grabs to another practice to take over. Any changes would be brought to the patients for consultation. I hope that makes sense?
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

446 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2017 :  16:28:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah opportunity here to move the practice to Ebbw Vale ?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  15:54:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few of the Doctors retired a few years from down Shop Row.

Never even had a letter telling anybody that is was happening.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1012 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  22:09:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luckily we still have three Doctors down Shop Row, it's getting to see one when you need one is the problem. You have to make an appointment two weeks in advance hoping you are still not well.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5012 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  21:00:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

Luckily we still have three Doctors down Shop Row, it's getting to see one when you need one is the problem. You have to make an appointment two weeks in advance hoping you are still not well.

I 've been trying to get an appointment for the last week and been told they are fully booked

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2017 :  13:10:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

did you know you can make appointments on-line Butch, Ask them on the receptions and they will give you the details

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1012 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2017 :  13:20:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Pierre, will try that approach in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout

63 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2017 :  17:58:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butch, just to reiterate as it were, regarding Doctor's appointments at Glan-Yr-Afon. (Bottom surgery)In recent months i have found it necessary to present myself at the Surgery door some 10 minutes before it opens in order to book a Morning appointment for that day with the receptionist.All well and good.
However, this morning i did not feel well enough to drive over and wait even 5 or 10 mins in the cold, so my son went over and booked the appointment for me. All well and good.
I was on time for the appointment and after 20 minutes i asked the receptionist if i had missed her calling my name?The receptionist very graciously replied that the Locum Doctor had not arrived yet and they were unable to contact him as to his whereabouts.Thirty minutes later the receptionist called me to explain that the Doctor had still not arrived and very apologetically said that it was out of her hands as there was not even a Practice Manager on duty.But she has given me an appointment for the morning beacause of the fact that i had been inconvenienced.I greatfully accepted.
I have to commend the Receptionist on her professional and patient attitude in which she dealt with other patients who were also inconvenienced this morning.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 23/03/2017 18:00:58
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2017 :  23:49:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your thinking Gareth, syndical but probably realistic, after my own heart!
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2017 :  23:50:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should have read SYNICAL not syndical!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  19:21:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Have_A_Drink_On_Me

I called the health board earlier, they said nothing will change at the moment, just that Dr Ahmed and Dr Khan will work for them instead of practising as independent. During the next 6 months the practice would be up for grabs to another practice to take over. Any changes would be brought to the patients for consultation. I hope that makes sense?

So to sum it up, the 2 doctors are probably in their 70's now (or very close). The NHS has not, or were unable to get somebody in months or even years ago knowing the 2 current doctor's would retire anytime.

They now "retire", leave the NHS but are now contracted to do the same work at what one must think is going to be a lot more money...

Cannot blame the doctors.

.....or I'm I missing something....

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.