New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13018 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2012 :  21:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Susan, for sending in the information on her late husband, Brian Whipp. Brian, from Tredegar, is also going to be included in the famous people section of the town website.

Brian Whipp(1937-2011)

Brian Whipp, who died on October 20th 2011, was an internationally-renowned exercise physiologist. Born in Tredegar, he attended Earl Street School (1942-48) and then Tredegar Grammar School (1948-55). After conscription into the RAF, he entered Loughborough College to train as a Physical Education teacher. Even as a schoolboy, his sporting prowess was evident: he was twice a Monmouthshire Schools shot-put champion and represented Tredegar in the Welsh Table Tennis league. He continued with RAF representation at Table Tennis and Athletics, and at Loughborough he gained University Athletic Union honours in Table Tennis and was Welsh AAA champion for the 120 Yards Hurdles and the Decathlon.

Brian set out on his chosen career path, first as a Lecturer in Physical Education at Dudley Technical College and then at the Prince of Wales College in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada. However, he was drawn to physiology and – with the support provided by the award of a Danforth Fellowship – completed undergraduate and Masters’ studies at the University of Florida in Gainesville, followed by a PhD in physiology in 1967 at Stanford University. Following a National Institutes of Health Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship at the Harbor-UCLA (University of California at Los Angeles) Medical Centre in Torrance, California and one year as a Lecturer at University College Cardiff, he returned to Harbor-UCLA where he proceeded through the academic ranks to become Professor of Physiology and Medicine and Vice-Chairman of UCLA’s Department of Physiology.

In 1992, Brian returned to the United Kingdom as Professor and Chairman of the Physiology Department at the University of London’s St George’s Hospital Medical School - from which he retired as Emeritus Professor in 2001. His retirement was virtual, however, as he continued his academic activities largely unabated, working from his home in Crickhowell.

Brian’s research interests centred on respiratory physiology during exercise in health and disease, with seminal contributions both to basic mechanism and to clinical application especially in lung and heart disease. In addition to more than 350 research publications on these topics, he was author or co-author of nine books and monographs. Among his academic honours, he was awarded: a Doctor of Science by Loughborough University in 1982; a Citation Award of the American College of Sports Medicine in 1990; Chairmanship of the Respiratory Commission of the International Union of Physiological Sciences from 1997-2002; the 2002 Joseph B. Wolffe Memorial Lectureship of the American College of Sports Medicine; the 2007 Distinguished Scientist Honor Lectureship, American College of Chest Physicians; the 2008 American Physiological Society Honor Award (Environmental and Exercise Physiology); and, most recently, the 2010 J-C Yernault Lectureship of the European Respiratory Society and the 2010 D.B. Dill Lectureship of the American College of Sports Medicine.

He leaves his children from his first marriage, Laura and Brian, and his wife, Sue.

milkman

United Kingdom
1075 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  17:09:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian was at Earl St and the Grammar School with me although many years younger. I believe that he lived in Queen St.
He did amazingly well in his chosen field. I am sure that whilst Susan is very sad she must also be so pleased in his achievements in his career.
As you say he certainly deserves to be ranked in our Hall of Fame.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6190 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  20:34:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.. I Must say that I Did'nt know Brian, But I did some Research. And Was Gobsmacked With what I found ... !! .. What A Top Man .. !!
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6190 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2012 :  21:47:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..I Was recently told that Brian's Family Shared a small end House with, Their Cousins in , High Street Tredegar
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.