New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

emrys
Advanced Member

577 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2013 :  21:45:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the photograph interesting but I am puzzled by the licence plate number. Plates starting with AWO were issued in the early 'thirties. My fathers plate in 1937 was BWO and I believe eventually CWO plates were issued but I can't recall any plates staring with DWO .Any comments??
Go to Top of Page

smokey

110 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2013 :  22:35:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emrys
As you know all plates starting with ?WO were registered in Newport I would think using the alphabet AWO------ WITH THE EXCEPTION OF I Q and Z I can recall a number of trucks with SWO Plates
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

577 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  05:06:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Smokey.
I'm only guessing that the car in the photo was about a nineteen sixty or nineteen seventy car. What puzzled me was the three letters AWO followed by a numeral and TWO LETTERS. When the Newport AWO registration started in the '30's it was followed by three NUMERALS, i.e.1 to 999. This was followed by BWO 1 to 999, which in turne was followed by CWO 1 to 999 etc. It seemed to me that with each nine hundred and ninety nine registrations (vehicles) the first letter on the licence plate, always a letter, would go to the next letter of the alphabet. When I lived briefly in Tredegar 1961 I owned a vehicle with the licence plate bearing the letters SWO followed by three NUMERALS .In my early years I had occasion to visit the Newport registration office more than once and it was then situated at "Stelvio" Bassaleg Road, Newport. That was about 66 years ago and probably has moved since then. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

577 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  06:09:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
P.S. Believing that the AWO registration ended in the 'thirties it came as a bit of a shock to see the licence plate in the recent photograph. However on reflection it would seem likely that the combination of registrations including WO and three numerals was eventually exhausted and at that point the authorities started re-using the WHO prefix followed by a combination of letters and numerals. I can see why the WHO on fairly recent cars would be no surprise to a local resident but being away from the town for so long it struck me as odd. At first I thought it might be a vanity plate or one carried over from an older car but now think there was nothing extraordinary about this plate. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

mowser

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2013 :  12:01:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's me in the co-drivers seat with Dave at the start of the Girling Rally starting from Cwmbran in I think 1972/3. No problem regarding the registration number AWO 2K.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2013 :  21:21:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mowser, Another Picture of AWO 2k with the Western Mail Stickers On It Posted Soon ,,
Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  18:35:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

mowser

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  15:58:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the photo Fredd, probably the Welsh Rally?
Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2014 :  22:22:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Right it was The Welsh Rally, With Malcolm at the Steering Wheel..! 1972 ..

Edited by - fredd on 08/01/2014 22:31:20
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
12133 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2014 :  13:44:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what I make of this.....

linky

Go to Top of Page

fredd

5664 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2014 :  13:57:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Not sure what I make of this.....

linky

I Looked at That Yesterday ...... Looks Fun but it looks like a bottomless money pit he is saying it doesnt run 100% it needs a lot of tlc It Needs Painting Inside And Out And How The Hell Would You Insure It
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
221 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2014 :  18:55:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough enough doing the engine/transmission swap, but to fit the Subaru fully independent AWD suspension on a car not built for it is something else.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.