Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 Old Teachers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
andy9 Posted - 27/10/2013 : 20:00:35
Trying to think of some old teachers from Elmwood/Stable Lane & wonder what they are doing now... Mr Lewis (Geog) Prozzy Powell ( Science) Mrs Ganderton (Maths) Mrs Evans (English) Mouldy Malcolm (God knows) Mr West ( History) Mr Alcock (ICT) I Think!! The art teacher with the goaty beard who used to take us for Footy sometimes cant remember his name. Mrs BREWER ( Biol) Mr Hindley ( Physics) What was the PE teacher that was with Dai Hoyle. Short fella with a beard......anybody else remember the others from this time????
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
milkman Posted - 14/11/2014 : 16:45:27
Hello Muffin, We are a bit young BUT-
I am sure Big Ben was there
W H James
Dickie Dye
Mrs Rosser.
Bonzo
Saunders
Possibly Otto and Brynmor Jones
Muffin27 Posted - 14/11/2014 : 10:35:22
Does anybody remember any teachers at Tredegar County School in the 1930s?
hawkeye Posted - 10/11/2014 : 12:28:45
Mr Lewis retired around Easter time before GCSE's. Mr Saunders went to work for Coleg Gwent in mid 1990's. Mr Pearce did get milder as time wore on and later emigrated to the USA.
ady1927 Posted - 10/11/2014 : 11:54:25
I haven't seen this name mentioned, but can anyone remember a Mr Pearce? He was a music teacher - with a crazy streak. Probably the shortest span of patience I have ever seen in a human being - I always remember him yelling about something at Elmwood by the "Boys" doors. Terrifying, and I remember I was no-where near the scene of the incident and feeling the need to apologise for simply walking on the same planet as him.

This was 1987.

Many Thanks

Ady
ady1927 Posted - 10/11/2014 : 11:14:09
OP - I am guessing we are roughly the same age. I know most of those teachers.

Mr Adcroft recently retired - he taught my daughter. I think he still does some part-time stuff there. I think Mr Lewis is still teaching. Mr Saunders was the PE teacher. I guess all this has already been answered...

Many Thanks

Ady
milkman Posted - 05/11/2014 : 20:04:54
Saunders was known as Poll Saunders but this may have beena mispronounciation of Paul- I cannot recall his name really being Paul.
As a "long in tooth" contributor here are a few new names-
Otto Jones- Latin teacher with whom one didnt mess about
Brynmor Jones- think he taught Welsh; have heard since that he had an affair with wife of another master; she obtained a divorce and Bryn and she were married- Anyone recall who it was.
Peggy Powell- A rather trim, good looking PR teacher who also taught Biology.
Gill Huggett- an even better looking PE teacher. She left to marry Nick Lysaght; head of Lysaght's steelworks.
Mrs Davies from Abertysswg, a good looking blonde who taught Art but also took us down to see the brand new prefabs which no-one had seen before.
Llew Harrhy, Physics and Chem; you didnt mess about with llew (that explains why I had good marks with him)
Mr Hill, A short master with a round face and circular glasses which made him look slightly Japanese (thus nickname of Tojo)
Mrs Rosser- taught English
Mrs Bowen, taught us French but probably did that in addition to her main subject.
Les Alden- A really good Physics master (there only a short while)
Now that has you all thinking- Does anyone have any more?
Incidentally we called all mistresses "Miss" thus I am guessibg as to whether they were married
KenJ Posted - 04/11/2014 : 19:16:24
quote:
Would he be DB Jones who ended up head of tredegar comp?

Yes that's him.
He was elevated to TGS Head after D.J Davies and his deputy head "Ike" Parsons both died tragically on prizegiving night. Can't remember the year but no doubt someone will be able to tell us.
tarkus Posted - 04/11/2014 : 18:48:43
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Chop-chop was named taht because he joined us from the RN. To get things moving quickly they say- "Chop-chop" so he carried that on in his lessons.
This was later shortened to Choppers I believe

Would he be DB Jones who ended up head of tredegar comp?

graham davies Posted - 04/11/2014 : 17:25:13
I started in the grammer school in 1960,alun pask p.e.and keith prosser science had just joined the staff.Mr Scanrett english,Mr Martin music,Dai Hoyle joined us from Blackwood G.S.and played full back for us.
milkman Posted - 04/11/2014 : 14:56:09
Chop-chop was named taht because he joined us from the RN. To get things moving quickly they say- "Chop-chop" so he carried that on in his lessons.
This was later shortened to Choppers I believe
emrys Posted - 04/11/2014 : 03:18:30
I remember Mr Saunders very well. I started at what was then called the County School in 1940 after leaving Earl St which was a boys school.(yes that was a girls school plus an infant school) I had had nothing to do with girls and (at that time) was quite intimidated by them and even more so by female teachers. One time in French class with Lorraine Jones as the teacher the girl in front of me was exchanging notes with a boy nearby. At one point she almost burst out laughing and miss Jones asked what was so funny. Instead of telling the truth she made up a story that I had been playing with her hair an accusation that I strenuously denied.The girl must have sounded very truthful because Miss Jones ordered me to leave the room and wait in the hall. I did this but was still protesting. Shortly after that a female teacher.( forget her name but her brother was Jack Sullivan, headmaster of the tech.) came by and asked what I was doing there. I tried to explain but clearly she wouldn't listen to my account but ordered me to follow her to Saunders office. She gave me no chance to explain nor did Saunders ask me but simply seemed to accept that if Miss Jones had expelled me from her class I must have deserved it, Saunders kept a bunch of canes in his office and after ordering me to hold out my hands gave me two of his best on each hand, then ordered to wait in the hall . One of my hands was bleeding quite badly so I wrapped it up with a handkerchief . As I did so there were four dustmen nearby and one asked what was wrong with my hand. When I told him and showed my hand he barged into Saunders office and raised hell. His mates followed him also raising hell and it turned out that the cane he used had split at the end and he had wrapped it with fine wire and evidently it was the unravelling wire that cut my hand. I hadn't intended to tell my parents what had happened because I didn't want to create more problems and felt that the harassing Saunders had received from the dustmen was sufficient punishment and the matter would have ended there. One of the men knew my mother from playing in Whist tournaments and came to our house that night to report Saunders actions. Not much was said but
I denied doing anything to have warranted being expelled from the class,much less than being caned for. I didn't even know the girls name (and in fact can't recall the name of any of the students I met in that school). The following morning after I had left for school my mother came to the school and demanded to see Saunders. I don't know exactly what was said but later on I was summoned to his office and found him almost grovelling and he was aplogizing profusely while my mother just glared at him. Then as we were leaving my mother said, in a voice I didn't recognize but was very scary to the effect that you touch him again and it will be your last. I stayed in the school 'til the end of the school year and then transferred to the tech.
Over the years I have suffered some injustices here and there but the one described above was, I think the worst because I did nothing wrong but that young girl lied so easily and blatantly. Naturally I have never thought well of the people who caused me so much stress and I am still amazed that not one would listen to my defence. Emrys.
GarT Posted - 03/11/2014 : 19:11:26
There was a woodwork teacher when I was there who was a brutal, sadistic man!
I am a teacher now myself, and can not believe that he got away with his behaviour, it wasn't always the good old days!
keanjo Posted - 03/11/2014 : 19:05:34
Poor old Silas Spider Jones ,we never gave him a chance. What is French for dicky seat Sir ? Le spider, he 'd reply .......howls of stupid laughter. In later years I met someone from the Gwendraeth valley who had been taught by Spider and he thought very highly of him as a teacher ,so who were the losers?
Exbrompton Posted - 03/11/2014 : 17:59:26
More old teachers.
Taff,Mr Wyn Davies.Miss Lewis,Latin.Miss Burge Art.Dickie Wright,Maths. Chuck,Mr Edwards.Miss Caswell,Biology .
Bryan Rendell Posted - 03/11/2014 : 11:56:13
Bonzo's son, Owen lives in Gilwern.

I was in the Grammar School when Mr. Tidwell took over.

I remember Silas Jones - Latin; Mr James - Woodwork; Mr. Martin - Music; Miss James - History; Mr. Dye - Chemistry; Miss Burge - Art; Miss Leeman - Biology; Ken Coleman - PT and games; Chop Chop (Jones) - French; Miss Davies - Cookery; Miss Mainwaring - English; Mr. Scranrett - English; Ike ? - Physics; and of course Harry Hawke.

There are a few others but at 81 the memory has faded somewhat
keanjo Posted - 03/11/2014 : 09:42:10
Any one remember Mr Sanders ,the head in the Grammar School before Walter Tidswell and what about Bonzo Griffiths, a great Geography teacher,or Harry Hawke who among other subjectswas a teacher of RE.
hawkeye Posted - 03/11/2014 : 09:27:12
'Chicken', was Mr Davies when I was in Tredegar Comprehensive. Mr Tom Thomas was nicknamed 'Poopy'. That was in the 1970's.
Perhaps staff had different nicknames given by different year groups over the years?
The Head, Mr Jones was called 'Choppy'. Dept Head, Mr Davies was 'Dai Geog'. David Lloyd was 'Manf'. Ray Lewis was 'Wrangler Ray'. Peter Jones was simply 'PJ'. Mr Puddle (Geography) was 'Splash'.
Daleks Posted - 02/11/2014 : 23:31:24
Ken Coleman (PE master) was my favourite. I believe he was the teacher on yard duty when the incident with Stewart Clark happened.
tredfan Posted - 02/11/2014 : 23:05:17
Chicken who taught maths was Mr Thomas
GarT Posted - 02/11/2014 : 21:12:46
Mr Watkins PE, was another top bloke, a tough little nut as well!
hawkeye Posted - 05/11/2013 : 12:49:38
Thank you Bryan for your reply. The Grammar School is what I call Elmwood Block and the Secondary Modern is St James' Block.
Elmwood was demolished in 1988 and is now a housing site. St.James' Block was demolished in the early 80's and is now the site of Georgetown Primary which was opened in 1989.
Bryan Rendell Posted - 05/11/2013 : 12:18:08
When I was a pupil in the late 40's early 50's the Grammar School was opposite the Tin Chapel. There was also a Girl's entrance from York Terrace.

Opposite the Infants and Junior School was the Secondary Modern School
(in my day). Jack Phillips was Deputy Headmaster, Llew. Harrhy was a Science teacher, before he went to Ebbw Vale Grammar School. Mr ? Turner was a class teacher, Mr Joseph was the woodwork teacher. I think the Headmaster was Llew. Edwards !!. Can't remember the other teachers.

hawkeye Posted - 05/11/2013 : 10:16:23
When you talk of the Grammar School are you talking of Elmwood Block or St James' Block?
Bryan Rendell Posted - 05/11/2013 : 08:19:44
I was in the Grammar School play yard when Steward Clark was injured.

I also met Steward in 1960 when he was doing Teacher's Training at Caerleon College. I was on an advanced year studying difficult children.

As you say he was a lovely bloke.

Both Milkman and myself are eighty.

marwis Posted - 05/11/2013 : 08:11:05
Thank you milkman and smokey! I love reading all the memories you all have of Tredegar. Emrys always makes the little grey cells work bringing back happy memories of Tredegar long ago!

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.