Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Tredegar no1 Signal Box

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 23/05/2011 : 14:25:14
Many thanks to Uncle Bob for sending in the picture of the No1 Tredegar Signal Box.

UB added "Tredegar no1 signal box looking north,dhdavies show room being built in background now all gone"

For more images of trains, loco's and stations of Tredegar Past, please goto here.

milkman Posted - 24/05/2011 : 17:38:52
Mike, They had a chap with a red flag who "lived" in a little brick shed just to the N of crossing.
He would come out and stop the traffic with his flag; it wasnt necessary to have two men in those days.
For much of my young life it was Mr Williams who lived in Harcourt Tce; his daughter Connie bacame Mrs Morgan and their son Barry was at TGS with me
mike Posted - 24/05/2011 : 08:45:14
The NCB shed is at the left of the picture. If you look closely you can see a couple of coal trucks outside, and two wheels on an axle.

IIRC the shed was mainly used for repair and refurbishing trucks. There always seemed to be lots of oxy-acetylene torches and arc welders on the go when I walked past on the way to and from school.

A separate railway line ran from the shed down towards Ty Trist pit. It crossed the road at an "open" crossing between The Prom and the main level crossing. I can't remember what happened when a train wanted to cross - presumably they had banksmen either side to stop any road traffic.

Mike
uncle bob Posted - 23/05/2011 : 20:21:37
when you next visit the severn valley railway take time to visit the museum at kiddyminster railway station ...look up high in the roof inside the museum and there is the sign from tredegar no1 signal box!
a long way from its home but still servives
the severn valley railway is a brilliant place to visit, on a sunday, you can have sunday lunch on the steam train
milkman Posted - 23/05/2011 : 20:02:59
A memorable photo. The cattle pens were just behind the box.
The gates were opened remotely by a wheel in the box overlooking the gates. When passenger traffic ceased the gates were opened by hand but without the mechanism the gates took a lot of man-handling.
Just think the line was in operation for about 130 years in total but has now been closed for 51 years

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.