Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Bridge Street - 1982

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 25/01/2013 : 16:02:02
Glyn Bennett has taken some real cracking photo's of the town over the years, and these of Bridge Street are no exception !

Thanks Glyn

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
milkman Posted - 30/09/2013 : 21:53:32
Hello Nanty, I lived there in the early 50s; (but I only really visited during the holidays).I did know the lucas family.
There is a paperback on Tredegar's part in WWII which mentions Harold-
"... Jimmy Tranter was shot and Harold Lucas was wounded in the arm but when he heard that Jimmy was shot and hadn't been brought in he went out for him. The Japs were waiting with a machine gun"
This is a transcript from a letter sent to his mother by Sgt J butler of Iron St.
I know that there are Butlers of this family still in the area; one was a paramedic at Nevil Hall but may possibly be retired.
Do any other readers know of them?
nantybwch Posted - 27/09/2013 : 10:13:08
'Milkman' : I'm interested in what you say about what you said about Blan Lucas and the shop. What period are you talking about there? 40's, 50's? And would that have been No. 30? I'm trying to find more info about his brother, Harold, the one killed at 'Tredegar Hill'. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me about him and the family. Many thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

So many replies and all are right.
Park Cafe at top
Annie Bernstein just below (I was told that she, or sister, was left alone during Jewish riots since she was always good to thoswith little money)
Then Fears the baker (Ron Gregory photographer had one of these two shops for a few years)
Opp was YMCA where Will John was the manager. table tennes, snooker and a card school most nights
Lippiards Fish shop below
Opp was Jack Jayve the cobbler; he served in bicycle m/c gun regt in WWI
Frank Blunt was on the Corn St corner (He had a place just above the Transport at one time)
Ruby Hughes (Tranter) had the Womans Hair Dresser
Russell the butcher next down from Blunt
Florrie Bartlett's sweeet shop
Blan Lucas ran the florist, fruiterer opp Florrie (His brother died at Tredegar Hill, Burma)
A gap then with a large sweet shop (name forgotten)
Pembreys sweet shop just below
Mizpah chapel--- Thats about it.
Bryan is almost right about me; I actually lived there for about 8 months but did spend holidays there
TUDC had compulsay purchse to develop the area BUT they never did

nantybwch Posted - 27/09/2013 : 10:06:30
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Park Cafe at top
Annie Bernstein just below (I was told that she, or sister, was left alone during Jewish riots since she was always good to thoswith little money)
Then Fears the baker (Ron Gregory photographer had one of these two shops for a few years)
Opp was YMCA where Will John was the manager. table tennes, snooker and a card school most nights
Frank Blunt was on the Corn St corner (He had a place just above the Transport at one time)
Blan Lucas ran the florist, fruiterer opp Florrie (His brother died at Tredegar Hill, Burma)
Bryan is almost right about me; I actually lived there for about 8 months but did spend holidays there

butch Posted - 31/01/2013 : 22:39:31
Glad to be of assistence, but, Mary would not be far short of my age at an educated guess late 60s
milkman Posted - 31/01/2013 : 15:46:26
Absolutely right, Ruby's daughter was Mary.
I fancy she became a nurse but I could well be mistaken
Daleks Posted - 30/01/2013 : 23:43:54
That rings a bell with me since my late father always said that he was a relation to the Danters family who for many years ran the fairground that used to be in Brynmawr and there was also a connection with the Hughes of Bethel Avenue. He also said that they possibly emigrated to South Africa ?

quote:
Originally posted by butch

Would Ruby's daughter be Mary Danter?

butch Posted - 30/01/2013 : 21:13:43
Would Ruby's daughter be Mary Danter?
milkman Posted - 30/01/2013 : 20:19:16
Hi Daleks, The answer is a probable "Yes".
Ruby (second name Pearl) was from Bethel. Her mother was Polly and they lived in the bungalow at far end on the left. Later occupied by Carpanini of Cosy Cafe fame.
I never knew a Mr Hughes but the other details seem to tie up.
Ruby had a daughter, whoce name is on the tip of tongue, She would be about 60 and I believe left Tred to work. I would think she would be contactable since they were a very sociable family.
It is possible that Ian MacPherson, who was a neighbour, and who lives (I believe) in Merthyr would know her whereabouts
Daleks Posted - 30/01/2013 : 17:14:21
milkman - do you know is/was Ruby Hughes the Womans Hair Dresser in Bridge Street related to Hughes Coal Merchant (Bethel Avenue) and does she have any relatives still living in Tredegar ?
butch Posted - 28/01/2013 : 15:09:08
Hello Milkman,thank you for your reply. I am now a lot less confused,I was beginning to think there was another dairy in Bridge St. And thank you Morgan for putting me straight.
milkman Posted - 28/01/2013 : 11:43:12
Hi Butch, Yes I did live in Oak Villas nr The Royal Oak,
As it was I mentioned Florrie Bartlett in Bridge St. We took over her premises but I didnt mention that since it could have been confusing.
On reflection I think it was BG council that purchased Bridge St (not TUDC).
Much of the street was in pretty good condition but they didnt want to know- KNOCK EM DOWN
Oddly enough both the New County and Siloh were saved. I wonder if BG knew they would have a huge fight to demolish either of those.
butch Posted - 27/01/2013 : 23:08:14
Hi morgan, I knew Trevor's brother from a long time ago,but did not realize he is the milkman who posts on this forum,because it was only Trevor I can remember that delivered to the shops in town. My apologies for speaking as if you are not in the room milkman, but I am pleased that I now know who you are.Am I correct in saying you married and went to live in what was then,a new house next to the Royal Oak pub?. Regards Butch.
morgan.m Posted - 27/01/2013 : 21:37:31
Hi Butch
Don`t know if you are aware that Milkman his Trevors brother
fredd Posted - 27/01/2013 : 20:10:56
Gosh Butch, Clarry Rogers that's going back a bit .. .. .. !!,
butch Posted - 27/01/2013 : 19:40:15
I can't remember Annie Bernstein being in Bridge st,but she did have a shop in castle St.about four shops up from J.A. Rogers and Sons Butchers shop which is where I served my apprenticeship and worked for ten years 50s to 60s. Perhaps she had two shops?. I remember Trevor Jones the milk and his father had a dairy,which is where they also lived.Trevor's father got fed up of being knocked up after they had finished deliveries,so had a milk vending machine installed in the shop doorway,it came in waxy cartons,and was ice.
cold,it was delicious. I hope you will read this post Trev.
milkman Posted - 26/01/2013 : 21:41:06
Park Cafe at top
joyce Posted - 26/01/2013 : 15:30:46
The children's clothes shop referred to by Phil G was kept by Annie Bernstein. At the top of Bridge Street on the left hand side was Berni's cafe, where we used to gather on a Sunday night for coffee. Opposite Berni's was Blacks the Chemist ( Harry Black, I think) and there were always gorgeous coloured glass bottles in the window. That shop was taken over later by Ron Wilcox.

Joyce
Bryan Rendell Posted - 25/01/2013 : 21:03:53
Milkman would know of all the shops and who lived in the houses before they were demolished.

Am I right Tom!!!!

I can name some but you lived there and have a better memory than me.
emrys Posted - 25/01/2013 : 20:41:20
A Mr Blunt had a tinsmith shop on the corner of Bridge and Coronation St.(a third of the way down on the right side of the first photograph) He made all kinds of tin boilers but also water "jacks" and "boxes" for colliers.
My mother belonged to a ladies club held in the Y.M.C.A.before the war and I met my future wife there in 1938. It wasn't love at first sight but that came later. Emrys
philg Posted - 25/01/2013 : 20:01:15
If I remember correctly, Bridge Street had the YMCA. Jack Jayne's shop(cobbler/shoemaker), a fried fish shop, a butchery, a dairy, a ladies hairdresser (? Mrs Danter), a fruit and veg. shop (Blan. Lucas ) a childrens clothes shop and two sweet shops.
Again, my memory could be faulty!
prof Posted - 25/01/2013 : 19:40:30
A big thank you to Glyn for these! I have recently been talking about the shops in Bridge Street and now I have the photos to back up my memories. I hope Mr Bennett has more shots like these of areas around Tredegar to share with us?
Polo6 Posted - 25/01/2013 : 19:23:21
Yes it was Mizpah. Also known as the 'Raggedy School'
darole Posted - 25/01/2013 : 19:18:17
Somewhere in the back of my mind I think there was bakery about half way up bridge street
morgan.m Posted - 25/01/2013 : 19:15:07
http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606&SearchTerms=Mizpah,Hall
philg Posted - 25/01/2013 : 18:59:58
I can remember the building to which Emrys refers being used as a practice hall or similar. The name Mizpah Hall comes to mind, although my memory is not what it was.

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.