Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Bedwellty Pits School

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 24/05/2010 : 17:42:26
For more pictures of the schools (old and new) in the town, please visit the school section, here

pierre Posted - 18/07/2021 : 19:14:00
That's a great find :-)

Fairy Posted - 17/07/2021 : 14:19:04
Hi just check out school photo only to find my grandmother Phyllis King back row 3rd left her older sister is 7th think its Gertrude, 3rd row left 4th boy is William dark haired. Second row next to teacher Little girl in black is their little sister Marion probably two more sisters in picture but can't recognise them
ike Posted - 11/01/2015 : 16:32:59
Brenda,

I do recall a pretty young girl living at no 1. Being in my teens one tends to look at the older girls. I remember your father very much, because as a little lad of 5-6 I used to go into No 2 and watch him bathing in the tin bath after a day's shift at Ty-Trist; he'd splash the water over me! Great chap. My sister Mair was bridemaid at your mother and fathers wedding.

I shall keep the Friday date in mind, Ike

n/a Posted - 11/01/2015 : 10:26:16
Ike

Irene (Herbert Jones' daughter) and Billy Albert were my parents. They lived 1 Alex tce. I think you mean Dennis Jones, he was Herberts son. Edith was the other daughter, married Harold Briggs, and Lorna the other daughter lived in Four Rows and married Bomber Wilkins. I will be in Tredegar Library on the last Friday of this month if you want to call in. I help out on the research desk for family history, if you want to trace your ancesters. Brenda
Exbrompton Posted - 11/01/2015 : 09:51:11
Yes she is .still living in Croespenmaen
ike Posted - 10/01/2015 : 20:08:30
Hi exbrompton,
Margaret Sheen (Mrs Mills now) is she your sister? Last I heard of her was living in Croespenmaen Oakdale--

I remember her working at N.C.B Area Laboratory Tredegar.

Exbrompton Posted - 10/01/2015 : 19:33:22
On the school photo
Our mother is 2nd row 4th from left
Our father 3rd row 7th from left
Uncle 1st row 5th from left
Aunt back row 4th from right.
Exbrompton Posted - 10/01/2015 : 19:25:41
Unfortunately I am related!!His younger brother.
milkman Posted - 10/01/2015 : 11:19:56
Hi ex-Brompton.
You are related to Ieuan, I think
ken sully Posted - 10/01/2015 : 07:37:54
and this is why i LOVE tredegar

kdsullivan
ike Posted - 09/01/2015 : 16:41:08
exbrompton,
Thanks for the information; you've done a lot of in depth research on this one. ike

Exbrompton Posted - 08/01/2015 : 18:46:20
Ieuans mother and father as well as an aunt and uncle are shown on the school photo of 1913
Exbrompton Posted - 08/01/2015 : 18:43:18
Ieuan was born at 2,Railway Cottages,Bbedwellty Pits.His grandfather was the signalman at Bedwellty Pits.the Sheen family came from a tiny village in Radnorshire called Glascwm.the earliest family members lived in a farm called Wern Danzy in the 1680's
ike Posted - 06/01/2015 : 17:41:13
Those interested in Bedwellty School take a look at:-

WWW.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/yourvidio/media/pages/ieuan sheen

Beautifully narrated by Ieuan . Unfortunely,the video wasn't working when I looked at it, couple of days ago but, the script is there.
Lump came in my throat!tears in my eyes.So well put together.
Hadn't realised Ieuan was from Bedwellty Pits.

ike Posted - 06/01/2015 : 17:23:03
Trevil boy

No,I did not take over from Basil Tudge he was the unit mechanical engineer,I was ast. group mechanical engineer at Tregedar.

Jim Williams (smiler) I got on well with him. When we were demolishing Ty-trist colliery he came up to blow the washery concrete bunkers,not very successful I must say, however we did at second attempt, bit risky! wouldn't do it to-day.He was a lovely chap,sadly he died a young man.

I'm having MOT tomorrow. I will call round and correct him. might have a whisky.?

trefilboy Posted - 06/01/2015 : 16:12:30
Ike - talked to Lwyn testerday. Told me you took over from Tudge in Pochin - Tudges were great old friends of mine, and regularly keep in touch with their son Alan. Also when Pochin was closing, Jim Williams (Manager), another great old friend of mine, took a few of us kids down Pochin to see what it was like. I also used to go with Lwyn to pick coal off the tip and before we left Tredegar when the miners strike was on in the 70's that was my source of coal.
Margaret - told Lwyn about John Jnr and he had a good laugh.

trefilboy
ike Posted - 05/01/2015 : 17:36:57
harry driftwood,
Interesting,what is the name of your parents? I new Irene and Albert davies and Ron Jones the other children not so sure of. Another sister lived in York terrace but can't recall her name.

ike Posted - 05/01/2015 : 17:24:57
Hi trevilboy,
I have known Llywn since late fifty's when engineer with NCB Tredegar group colliers when we required ground for tipping spoils from Pochin Collery. He agreed provided he could pick any coal in the rubbish. Shrewed man!! I often remind him of this, he justs smiles! Love it.
Next time I see him i'll tell him I've been in touch with you. Any messages i'll let you known.

margaret briggs Posted - 05/01/2015 : 11:59:08
Hi Ron.Talking of Llwyn reminded me of when my mother-in-law,Nancy used to go down Lower Farm to help Auntie Bess with the washing she often took my son John Jnr with her.
When he came home he always said "you arn't to wash me".
Llwyn had written on his arm in Biro,DO Not Wash.And he took a lot of persuading to wash it off for school.

trefilboy Posted - 05/01/2015 : 00:41:48
Hi Ike - yes I'm the one. As you say, Llwyns' memory is remarkable. This is why I love the Tredegar web page - Here we are with a common connection to Tredegar, and it keeps us all together. It's absolutely great reading all the stories about the town.

trefilboy
n/a Posted - 04/01/2015 : 22:37:31
Message for Ike. I am a relative of yours. I am granddaughter of Herbert Jones.
ike Posted - 04/01/2015 : 20:33:34
trevilboy, Had chat with your uncle &Dorothy new's day 2015;wishing them compliments of the season,he told me about the egg and rum plus shells drink for Joyce Cole. I see him quite often,always have whisky and share information of Tredegar; he as remarkable memory and tells me of his nephew in Canada you must be the one. Ike

fredd Posted - 25/11/2014 : 20:35:11
quote:
Originally posted by uncle bob

Can anyone shed some light as to the school being built so far from the village?

Probably because it was on the first flat part of the main road, And that it Would have been Ideal then for Pochin as well ??
uncle bob Posted - 25/11/2014 : 13:56:18
Can anyone shed some light as to the school being built so far from the village?
joyce Posted - 25/11/2014 : 13:29:20
Well he was nearly right - it was eggs and rum, it tasted and smelt foul and I hated it. It was a recipe from a Harley Street doctor and was supposed to be very nutritious. We did appreciate though that the Perkins kept us supplied with eggs at a time when food was in short supply. They were a lovely couple and we were very grateful to them.

Joyce

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.