Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Sirhowy Rugby Players

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pierre Posted - 13/09/2011 : 18:51:29
Many thanks goes to dalex41 for the below

dalex41 added, "Here's an old photograph taken during the 1950's of a class in Sirhowy Junior School. It was a particularly good year for rugby since at least 4 boys in that class went on to play senior rugby for Tredegar, Ebbw Vale and Cardiff RFCs. One of the players captained the capital city team. Can anyone name them ?"

and here’s some of the same boys and girls attending sunday school at Rehobeth Primitive Methodist chapel a few years later after the school photograph was taken.

Thanks dalex41

keanjo Posted - 12/02/2015 : 19:50:03
With a record like this ,it is tragic that recently the town had to cancel a match because they couldn't raise a team
theclock Posted - 12/02/2015 : 19:35:13
Last Tredegar boy to play for Wales was David Llewellyn who had four caps
smokey Posted - 12/02/2015 : 18:39:37
Marks father was Benny Jones from Scwrfa later moved to Cefn Golau would have been the same age as yourself

smokey
milkman Posted - 12/02/2015 : 17:02:25
Well !!! I never picked up that Mark was from Tred.
Of course he went North since he could make little "extra" from rugby as an amateur.
He was a really good No 8.
Daleks Posted - 11/02/2015 : 16:40:07
Keep a look out for a current up and coming Tredegar boy Luke Garrett who's playing (tight head prop ) for the Wales Under 20's XV and recently beat up until then undefeated champions England up at Colwyn Bay. I understand Luke may be a grandson of Howard Andrews who is on the second photograph above. Great grandson of Cliff Andrews.He is sure to gain a senior cap one day.
lilly Posted - 11/02/2015 : 11:49:04
No, my husband tells me the last one was Mark Jones who played back row. Mark was a Cefn Golau boy.
milkman Posted - 11/02/2015 : 11:07:24
Apologies for mixing the two top notch players.
Living in England I only read about them so it had not made sufficient impact for me to recall it.
It was fantastic that two brothers should have made it to the top. It seems likely that Roger played at the same time as the Gareth Edwards crew so would have had a difficult job displacing Merv, John Taylor or the Glynneath chap who Max Boyce idolised.
Was Stuart the last Tred boy to play for Wales?
dwjames40 Posted - 10/02/2015 : 17:09:05
It was Rogers brother Stuart Lane that holds the unfortunate record of the shortest career of any Lions tourist, having been injured in the first minute of the opening game of the 1980 tour. This injury was a blow to the tourists as it was felt that the pace Lane could have provided in the brakeaway positions would have been a strong asset for the Lions.
Gareth Posted - 10/02/2015 : 17:05:11
No Milkman it was his brother Stuart.
milkman Posted - 10/02/2015 : 16:28:55
I think it was Roger who was selected for the Lions tour of S Africa in 1974.
He broke his leg in the 1st game and returned to UK but nevertheless was an actual Lion.
Daleks Posted - 10/02/2015 : 12:57:37
1st Photo:- Roger Lane,Tony Lewis,Philip Morgan,Malcolm Cross,Jeffrey Cartwright.

2nd Photo:- Roger Lane,Jeffrey Cartwright,Philip Morgan,Malcolm Cross,
also Howard Andrews,Gerald Sturdy.

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.