Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 Trollibocs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ddraig Posted - 13/07/2015 : 11:54:32
I've just seen the new recycling boxes, called "Trollibocs" on BGCBC FB page (If anyone wants a looky-loo)
Anyone know how big they are?
Link
https://www.facebook.com/blaenaugwentcbc/photos/a.459979050686166.122129.135767406440667/1134924673191597/?type=1&theater

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
marjon Posted - 15/09/2015 : 22:06:01
They took my trolley bloc back but told me today I will have 3 bins if I can't use trolybocs how am I supposed to carry them Blaenau Gwent has really not thought this out they are really not thinking of disabled or oap
ddraig Posted - 12/09/2015 : 10:19:59
When I saw these boxes I thought what a waste, they are no different to the trolibocs (without the trolley + with lids, which the trollibocs should have had anyhow) I've seen them in Queen St, as they have no side entrance are they supposed to bring these boxes through the house?? (probably dripping wet and covered with slugs, snails etc) They really didn't think this through at all and should have had feedback from people before they got the darned things.
I saw on Fb that there are meetings across BG to discuss the new system, it's in a trailer opposite the bus stops in Tredegar on Tuesday 15th Sept,(bit late now isn't it?)
https://www.facebook.com/blaenaugwentcbc/photos/a.459979050686166.122129.135767406440667/1170554199628644/?type=1&theater

kay16 Posted - 11/09/2015 : 20:11:38
Well a member of my family had the 3 boxes delivered yesterday,as I noticed so did Woodfield Road and all of Glyn Terrace. Does anyone know why they have had them instead of that other pile of rubbish? Does that mean with Glyn that the back lane is too narrow for the new trucks? If so then I would think that would include nearly all the back lanes down the tip are too small because they are all roughly the same. Also if these boxes are to be picked up out the front of the property where the hell are they supposed to be put? The only place they can go is on the main pavement as there is nowhere on the opposite side of the road (like Woodfield) to put them,that means blocking the pavement so people will then have to walk on the main road, as boxes have to be out by 7 am,that includes children walking to school (great health and safety, guess no one has done a risk assessment because surely this is a hazard?). Also once these boxes have been emptied, what's to say all 3 boxes (especially the lids) makes it back to the right owner? Yep just another well thought out idea by BGCBC--not. Oh and still not had my bags delivered, even after a request it on the website and a phone call to the office.
ddraig Posted - 09/09/2015 : 14:19:12
I just saw this on FB
https://www.facebook.com/blaenaugwentcbc?fref=nf
these look similar to the boxes we had before bags, every time it's windy they blow away

keanjo Posted - 28/08/2015 : 12:02:28
Every Local Authority in Britain have departments designing waste disposal systems and it would seem there are as many systems as there are Local Authorities. Surely they can't all be the best and there must be an optimum solution .Why doesn't the Government ask some Company to design an optimum scheme and introduce it to the whole country.The hordes of LA officers researching schemes could be released to do something more useful and mañufacturers of waste disposal hardware would know precisely what was needed
ddraig Posted - 28/08/2015 : 10:37:49
Well, I wonder who will end up paying these fines which it looks like Blaenau Gwent council will get ...............
Council tax Payers
AKA Us

pierre Posted - 28/08/2015 : 10:22:08
Blaenau Gwent council has lowest recycling rate in Wales
Source: SouthWalesArgus

BLAENAU Gwent council has the lowest recycling rate of all local authorities in Wales according to new figures released.

Provisional figures for April 2014 to March 2015 show recycling rates for Blaenau Gwent council is 50 per cent, below the Welsh Government's target of 52 per cent.

The Welsh Government has warned if these provisional figures do not change then the council could be liable to fines.

Provisional data shows the recycling rate has improved to 56 per cent in Wales for the 12 months to the end of March 2015. The Welsh Government’s current waste strategy “Towards Zero Waste” has set a target of 70 per cent recycling/composting of municipal waste by 2024 to 2025.

Cllr John Williams, Independent member for Rassau, said: "I think it's terrible. Blaenau Gwent are trying to get to grips with it by issuing the residents all new wheelie bins but the Trolibocs is not suitable for everybody in Blaenau Gwent because of where we live."

"It is so important that we get up to scratch on this. We don't want to get to 2020 when we could be fined in the region of £450,000."

Cllr Williams said he had received a number of complaints about the introduction of the Trolibocs which is a stack of three recycling boxes on a wheeled trolley unit to recycle paper, household metal or plastic packaging and glass and cardboard. The council say these along with new recycling lorries will enable material to be sorted at the kerbside in order to comply with European legislation.

Cllr Williams said he believes the closure of all but one recycling depots has contributed to the low recycling rates along with a policy which won't allow flatbed tippers to recycle material in the centre.

A Blaenau Gwent council spokesman said they were expecting a drop in recycling during 2014/15 due to charges for green waste and a reduction in food waste collection.

He said: "It is very disappointing to see the recycling rates decrease. However we are making changes to our services aimed at improving our recycling rates including educating consumers about recycling efforts."
Share article

Waste and recycling services will be changing from October 26 where black bins will be emptied every three week, a new nappy and hygiene service will be introduced and materials such as textiles, batteries and small electrical equipment will be collected in the weekly recycling.

Weekly food waste collection will continue as normal and the fortnightly green waste service will continue every year between March and October.

marjon Posted - 27/08/2015 : 01:28:36
They have finally collected my trolybocs mind you I had to fall getting past it for this to happen luckily it wasn't serious but it could have been well I hope they have collected it and it hasn't been stollen they didn't knock door to tell me
kay16 Posted - 26/08/2015 : 20:28:08
Hi ddraig thanks for the info.No not had mine but I will be ringing them first thing in the morning to get them delivered.Thanks again.
lilly Posted - 26/08/2015 : 13:19:51
Big thanks thanks for the info ddraig.
I too phoned to order new recycling bags many weeks ago, but never received any.
Glad to know I will soon be able to collect some.:-):-)
ddraig Posted - 26/08/2015 : 10:48:41
Just seen this on FB

quote:
Important Notice: Recycling Bags (Blue / White & Food Waste Bags) – Collection Point

From September 1st 2015, residents of Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council will be able to pick up recycling bags (Blue/ White and Food waste) from libraries within Blaenau Gwent, each household will be provided with ONE PACK of each. Please note that this doesn't include Garden Waste sacks or Food Waste caddies. If you are unable to get to your local library, you can still request bags/bins by calling C2BG on 01495 311556

Did you get yours Kay16?

kay16 Posted - 17/08/2015 : 10:33:56
Thanks fizz,it's annoying me now. The council harp on about how we need to recycle more but they are not helping. I now have a black bag full of paper/cardboard that normally I would recycle, I've held on to it thinking I'd get my bags and can sort it out when they come but it's looking more like if they come not when. So come tomorrow, bin day, it's all going out.
darole Posted - 15/08/2015 : 20:01:26
I don't believe that we actually recycle our waste !!!!!!

You may well be thinking that's a strange statement to make.

How can we be recycling when both blue and white bags of segregated waste are both compacted together in council refuse lorry. The pressure applied by then to push the waste to the front will ultimately burst the bags open and in doing so mix the waste.

I for one don't believe our Councillors when they say our waste is then resorted prior to disposal.
It makes a mockery of the the whole system .
fizz Posted - 15/08/2015 : 17:43:20
I haven't received mine Kay. I haven't recycled for about a month now since mine ran out.
kay16 Posted - 14/08/2015 : 13:55:28
Just wondering if anyone who has recently asked the council for more blue/white bags have received them yet? I did read on here that they had problems but wondered if they had sorted them out yet. I requested white bags on the council website about 3/4 weeks ago and still haven't received my bags so I can't recycle anything that goes in them so I've had to put it all in my black bag which I really hate doing but got no choice at the moment.
barryt Posted - 14/08/2015 : 11:08:34
As a non-resident of Tredegar can I tell you how our local council operate in Birmingham. We do not have trollibocs or whatever they call them, we have wheelie-bins which are about twice the size of the old dustbins but on wheels, one for household refuse, emptied weekly and one for recycling, emptied every other week, In this one you put your bottles and cans and there is a separate box inside it for paper. You can also pay for one to take garden waste but of course most of us just dump the grass cuttings down the river bank - yes, we do have rivers in Birmingham, three of them but the total outflow is only about the same as the Sirhowy river. Like yours, they have to be weeled to the road to be emptied. My friend in Tredegar has a driveway at the back of her house but only for cars, you wouldn't be able to drive one of those 30-ton trucks down it so unless she wheels it out into there and then to the main road she will have to drag the trollibocs through the house. When I was a lad the dustman used to come up the back entry and empty the dustbin into a tin bath he then carried out to empty into his electric motor driven van - talk about pprogress!
Gareth Posted - 11/08/2015 : 17:01:25
quote:
Originally posted by keanjo

3 weeks is a long time.The rats will have a field day.I'm beginning to think Local Authoritis have had their day,The larger services - Education, Social Services , Highways could be run from Cardiff and libraries ,public toilets etc could be run trusts or sold to private Companies. Sharp end jobs would remain but the LA autocracy could be binned or trolliboxed.

I agree 100% keanjo - as an ex council employee I am certain that bigger is better where these services are concerned, and it would give the Welsh assembly something to do for their living !
Snowy Posted - 11/08/2015 : 11:58:09
When we are remembering the cost of the STUPID boxes, lets not forget the fleet of SEVEN lorries needed for them that we (indirectly) paid for as well.
carol mary Posted - 11/08/2015 : 11:38:33
Well it is only now the rat problems are settling down after the demolished the old denex factory and the old bakery (LCR) in Charles street. Now the furniture factory is coming down we will be over run again. I wash my dog food tins before recycling them but you can't always get rid of the smell, it's the same with salmon tins. What bothers me with the trolley box is they have gaps in the sides enough for a rat to get in. I rather keep to what I'm using , bags that are stored in a wheely bin.
ddraig Posted - 11/08/2015 : 10:48:55
Richardhead, when the three weekly collection starts you can get a weekly nappie collection which could help, (check out the BG website)some have them already, don't know the eligibility for them now.
I also have steps and if anything these trolithingies are more awkward than the rubbish wheelie, (which I only use to store my black bags)
I will give it a go, but I foresee many problems. (I sound like yoda)
I have to admit I get more trouble with birds attacking and breaking into my black bags than rats etc and I know the council say that if you use the food bin you shouldn't attract rats but I put in empty cat food pouches and, boy do these stink, in fact anything with food residue on would attract rats, so they have that wrong, I don't envy large families
On a saving money note, I received a register your vote letter from the council, two double sheets, one in Welsh one in english, plus return envelope, all of which went into the recycling as I did it online. I did tick the box to say I would prefer to get this sort of thing by email (or text) lets just hope they take up this, think of the money it would save.

keanjo Posted - 11/08/2015 : 08:02:04
3 weeks is a long time.The rats will have a field day.I'm beginning to think Local Authoritis have had their day,The larger services - Education, Social Services , Highways could be run from Cardiff and libraries ,public toilets etc could be run trusts or sold to private Companies. Sharp end jobs would remain but the LA autocracy could be binned or trolliboxed.
marjon Posted - 10/08/2015 : 23:30:05
Any grant from the eu is funded by the contributions that the uk pays in so in reality we are paying for the stupid trolliblocs it's time we all realised nothing is for nothing
richardhead Posted - 10/08/2015 : 19:26:43
Before I share my opinion on these new ' trolliblocs' I would like to point out to the many people here complaining its a waste of our taxes that this wasn't actually paid for by us. It was grant funded by the EU.

The trollibloc itself in my opinion is a complete waste of any schemes money though. Right now I have 2 bins that I purcahsed myself which I put my recycling in and are used in conjunction with the clear and blue bags that we are issued. These bags can be removed if more waste is produced and stored next to the bins. It works fine. My biggest concern is how am I going to fit a weeks worth of recycling in the paper and plastic compartments of these new boxes? I sometimes put 2 or 3 bags out a week. Looking at the new boxes I can barely fit a bags worth in the spaces provided! I also have steps up to my front door so now I have two wheel mounted objects to shift up and down. Many of the houses around Tredegar also have this problem and I really don't know how those was dreamt up? If the rubbish collectors don't stack these boxes correctly and I find myself having to pick them up from various spots up my street, I will be phoning the council on a weekly basis.

The next problem is the refuse collection has been extended to 3 weekly intervals! My wheelie bin as it stands usually has the lid sticking up anyway after 2 weeks full of rubbish and babies nappies, yuck. How are we supposed to fit another weeks worth on top of what we have already? I can't recucle any more than I already do as just about everything is sorted into recyclable waste as it is. Will we get an additional wheelie bin? Probably not as the incentive behind every 3 weeks is to encourage us to recycle 'more'. It's a complete joke and no doubt the people who thought this out have the perks of having extra bins in any case.

I have a feeling the council are going to get fed up with the complaints over this one!
dutchjohn Posted - 07/08/2015 : 08:20:22
quote:
Originally posted by marjon

I have asked for my trolley to be taken back as I cannot lift it up steps if it is pinched while waiting collection who is responsible

Hi marjon ,
I think you,ll probably find that once the trollybox has been delivered to your address the Gwent councill holds you responsible for it even if its been stolen , I don,t know this for one hundred % sure , but going on past behaviour of the councill , well I,m sure you have your own thoughts on that good luck with the box anyway , looks a bit cumbersome for old and possibly infirm people could create more problems than it solves
dutchjohn
marjon Posted - 07/08/2015 : 00:32:30
I have asked for my trolley to be taken back as I cannot lift it up steps if it is pinched while waiting collection who is responsible

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.