Serving The Town of Tredegar with News & Information Since 1991  

Tredegar Forum
Tredegar Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 V.E. Day 1945

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List
Videos: Google videoYoutubeFlash movie Metacafe videomySpace videoQuicktime movieWindows Media videoReal Video

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 08/05/2016 : 10:21:48
Do you remember the celebration's in Tredegar. How did you celebrate?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 14/05/2016 : 22:09:20
I wish to add a little trivia, outside Mr & Mrs Griffiths house was a lamp post where as children we would swing around. Mr. Griffiths built the extension on the rear of their property at 12 Edward Terrace. Mrs Griffiths was a Christian and attended Bethel Baptist Church. During the war Irene and her girls Betty and ? returned as evacuees. Mr & Mrs Griffiths were nice people. When Mr Griffiths died, Priscilla was nervous and afraid to sleep alone so a relative of mine slept there. Priscilla was affectionately known as Griff.
ike Posted - 14/05/2016 : 20:14:31
Hi andy9, You are related to me. Wilf your grandad was first cousin to me. My uncle Fred, father of Wilf was my mothers brother. Drop me an E.mail and I can fill you in with more details

andy9 Posted - 14/05/2016 : 08:14:30
Yes goodwitchsilverwitch Fred & Priscilla Griffiths were my family. My grandad lived at 12 Edwards terrace. do u remember anything about them? Or they're children... Their children were Wilfred (my grandad), vulso, Rich (I assume short for Richard) & June.
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 14/05/2016 : 00:29:41
andy9, Harry Griffiths lived in no.3, Fred & Priscilla Griffiths lived at no.12 were these your family members?.
andy9 Posted - 13/05/2016 : 22:56:02
Fascinated by all these stories of the celebrations during the war.. I was born in early 70's but remember my grandfather talking about this. I remember him mentioning Aubrey the butcher. My grandfathers family lived in Edwards terrace, by the police station as he always told me.. His name was Wilfred griffiths. His father was Fred griffiths. I would love to know if anybody on here remembers him or his family
milkman Posted - 13/05/2016 : 21:12:25
Joyce, I was there also, What a great night but I didnt see you.
We sang all those wartime favourites. (Including Lili Marlene)
It really doesnt seem that long ago
joyce Posted - 13/05/2016 : 14:42:22
There were celebrations that evening round the Town Clock. I was there and remember lots of singing and dancing and hundreds of people.

Joyce
goodwitchsilverwitch Posted - 12/05/2016 : 02:07:34
I have a black & white photograph of a V.E. celebration street party that was taken on "the flat" outside Aubrey the butcher shop, sitting amongst the residents where evacuees, Peggy Tooth was one of the girls.
pierre Posted - 08/05/2016 : 11:12:34
Trying to find the rest of it.....

Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.