New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  00:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems the councillors have now approved closure of the home.

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  08:12:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pound to a pinch of s***, it will be knocked down and new houses put on the site. Quick, somebody phone Shinko up ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  09:01:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gutting for the residents there though- and their families.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:54:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valleys care homes: how your councillor voted
By Hannah Mlatem - from Argus website

A MAJORITY of Blaenau Gwent councillors voted to axe four residential care homes.
The homes will be replaced by sheltered accommodation and more schemes to keep elderly people in their own homes longer.

Here is how the councillors voted:
AGAINST closure:
Steven Bard, Abertillery Liberal Democrat Keith Barnes, Cwm Independent Denzil Hancock, Six Bells, Independent Des Hillman, Blaina, Independent leader John Mason, Nantyglo, Independent Clive Meredith, Badminton, Independent Lyndon Moore, Nantyglo, Labour Cheryl Morris, Cwmtillery, Independent Jason Owen, Georgetown, Independent John Rogers, Ebbw Vale North, Independent Don Wilcox, Ebbw Vale North, Independent John Williams, Rassau, Independent.

FOR closure:
Gill Clark, Cwmtillery, Labour Brian Clements, Ebbw Vale South, Labour Nigel Daniels, Abertillery, Labour Keith Hayden, Georgetown, Labour Mark Holland, Cwmtillery, Labour John Hopkins, Brynmawr, Labour leader Paul Hopkins, Tredegar Central and West, Labour Dennis Hughes, Llanhilleth, Labour Graham Hughes, Beaufort, Labour Hedley McCarthy, Llanhilleth, Labour Jim McIlwee, Lanhilleth, Labour Ainsley Morgan, Blaina, Labour Jennifer Morgan, Ebbw Vale North, Labour Derek Morris, Tredegar Central and West, Labour Brian Scully, Badminton, Labour Barrie Sutton, Brynmawr Labour Steve Thomas, Tredegar Central and West, Labour Hayden Trollope, Tredegar Central and West, Labour Jim Watkins, Six Bells, Labour Roysten Welch, Abertillery, Labour David White, Beaufort, Labour David Wilkshire, Rassau, Labour.

Thanks for the info (you know who you are ;-) )
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  09:59:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Please thank your councillors :

Keith Hayden
Paul Hopkins
Steve Thomas &
Hayden Trollope

For voting to close all the old peoples homes. I'm sure when the residents are kicked out and are in their own home for 23 hours alone a day (some of them will, come on....) they will want to thank the councillors personally !

All the Independents voted to keep them open.

Nice one Labour (again.....)....
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  18:32:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from the cradle to the grave[with plenty of aggro in between]
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  19:27:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  19:51:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
theres a few for the mantlepeice[keep the kids from the fire]
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  20:18:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CHRIS!!!!!!!! .........................
Love it!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  21:30:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 03/12/2006 : 09:59:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Please thank your councillors :

Keith Hayden
Paul Hopkins
Steve Thomas &
Hayden Trollope

For voting to close all the old peoples homes. I'm sure when the residents are kicked out and are in their own home for 23 hours alone a day (some of them will, come on....) they will want to thank the councillors personally !

All the Independents voted to keep them open.

Go to Top of Page

James1

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2006 :  22:23:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tipacle A case of follwing like sheep
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  16:21:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange how they can do sad things like this BUT NOT get the drunks, yobs, off road bikes, boy (girl) racers, muggers and the like off our streets mind theres no in that kind of crime and not as easy to do.
So wheres the going to come from to pay for all the extra home help thats going to be needed??? or are the above going to go around all the needy people everyday to look after them ? me think not. Mind one day they will be old so tell you children who they are now so they can make them suffer in time to come. O yessssss I know im a B*****d no need to tell me. but what comes around goes around.
Go to Top of Page

The Godfather

119 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  18:03:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

Strange how they can do sad things like this BUT NOT get the drunks, yobs, off road bikes, boy (girl) racers, muggers and the like off our streets

Maybe this time next year we will see our grannies and grandads as CSO's walking around the place. That should deter them.

Maybe that's their idea - "bringing the elderly into the community" remember....

Edited by - The Godfather on 04/12/2006 18:06:05
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2006 :  20:56:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I'll e-mail them all and ask why they voted the way they did.
It would be interesting to see what they have to say for themselves !
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  08:04:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thats the last time Mr Trollope and is cronnies will get my vote.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  10:54:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I think is needed is more help for those who do want to stay in their own home and have friends or family to help and support them- but - keeping the homes like Cartref open as well. For many elderly people the homes are their only source of companionship- their children may have long moved away and there's no-one around to take care of them. As Pierre said- with the new scheme planned many would face the majority of their time alone. In the residential homes they make friends, have a cuppa and a chat- even a sing-song- compare that to staying all alone in their own homes. It would be very interesting to hear what the councillors who favour that have to say! Pierre- let us know if you do hear anything!
Go to Top of Page

ohaganfamily@bigpond.com

Australia
122 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  21:24:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the old folks whose homes have been sold/demolished? Where are they going to go? Perhaps each councillor would like to take in an oldie?????
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  18:59:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right,

Everybody please pop off to

http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/Feedback/internet/councillor_email.htm

And send an-eail off to:-

Keith Hayden, Paul Hopkins, Steve Thomas & Hayden Trollope why they voted to shut the old peoples homes !

If you get any reply, please post back here !
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  19:06:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also an article in this week's Gazette about the closures.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  19:10:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold everything. You are unable to send a e-mail off via their send-mail page.

What a great tactic
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  19:22:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
~Does the article give any more details why they are closing the homes ?
Go to Top of Page

bodi

25 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  20:41:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so more care homes are to close, its a fact the distress caused to the elderly, about moveing from familier surroundings will cause some deaths,& for what? to save a few thousand pounds , there is already a shortage of home carers, so what happens to the people who havent convienently died, a small flat or tiny bungalow,? then what ?? will there be more carers employed ?? i doubt it because then there wouldnt be any money saved, think about it these elderly are the ones who lived through & fought in the second world war, they paid the country taxes, & national insurance stamps, so they would be secure in their old age, makes u wonder whats in store for us when we get to old to fight for what we need
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2006 :  21:30:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre- whole article is very interesting- but in answer as to the reasons given- it says members of the council staff said the current care homes are not up to standard and closing them now would save enough money to build state-of-the-art care homes in the near future.
The opposition put forward the comment that it is unreasonable to close the current homes until the new ones are in place.
Councillor John Mason said he's had to tell residents of the Hywel Dawel home in Nantyglo that their home is closing and that they were in tears. They are saying things like "Where am I going to go- I don't have a home."
Another councillor claimed the proposed site for one of the new Sheltered Housing schemes by Ysbyti-Tri-Chwm is unsuitable as it does not meet some of the council's guidelines set out in their Unitary Development Plan. (Info taken from this week's Gazette.)

Edited by - Cae on 06/12/2006 21:31:20
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  00:41:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's one word, that describes those, that voted to close the old peoples home, "heartless".
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  10:27:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they had given any real consideration to updating the current homes- I know it may not be regarded as cost-effective but surely weighed up against the amount of distress the closures will cause residents and their families it would have been a better consideration. They don't want Buckingham Palace- just homes that are comfy and suitable for their needs. Saving money isn't always the most important factor - the upheaval and uncertainty it's causing the residents isn't worth penny-pinching. I have to agree with your sentiments Chris.
Go to Top of Page

skippy

92 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  18:42:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pity the council did not take the same view about the drug centres that are in tredegar and ebbw vale i think it should keep cartref aneurin bevan home open as this is somthing worth while and shut the drug centres down as this is self inflictive the oap's have done somthing in there life like work and fought in the second world war to be treated like this by a labour council i bet aneurin beavan is spinning in his grave like a top and looking down on them with great shame i hope the people of tredegar protest and take to the streets just remember when the elections come round who not to vote for
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.