13899 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  18:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Market Street ?
Or Another Tredegar ?

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  08:37:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's Market Street - that large gable end doesn't look right, and there is no sign of Saron Chapel at the top of the street.

The caption is very blurred (the picture format being JPEG doesn't help) but as far as I can make out it says "tredegar folks waiting for their potatoes at olney <something>".

The use of the word "folks" suggests to me that it is American, and indeed there are several Olneys in the USA.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:07:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Mike provided the photograph he describes I can't find it but I am wondering if he is referring to a photograph to be found on page 68 of Philip Prosser's volume number two of "Old Tredegar"?
This photo shows, in part,"folks are lining up for potatoes at Oakleys shop on Coronation St". Bill Oakely was quite a wealthy man at one time, and had a grocery shop on Castle St,(I think the same shop had a rear entrance on Coronation St) just about opposite the Castle hotel. I once worked with his son, also named Bill and he told me that his father was the first man in Tredegar to own a car but it was so unreliable that that when George Watts, who started the Red and White bus services looked for investors Bill, (senior) refused to invest saying that it would never be profitable.
After the Oakelys gave up the shop on Castle St, it was taken over by Bryn Owens. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:42:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I have described correctly the photo Mike was referring to, the large gable end on the right side of the photo was that of the Ebenezer Welsh Wesleyan chapel opposite the Freemasons Vaults(where the fire station is now) and the chapel l attended in the 1930's. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:53:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not a photograph I supplied and I don't know where it came from.

I'm not sure why Pierre's original link isn't working properly, but you can find it at http://www.tredegar.co.uk/gallery/gallery/Historic_Photos/Historic_Photos_Gallery_1/Tredegar_1917.jpg

Mike
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  19:24:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Have A Photo of a " Crowd " of people waiting for their potatoes, outside Oakey Bros shop in 1917 .. It says it's in Commercial St Tredegar, I'm Sure That i've seen A similar Photo In Castle St, Or Even The Circle, back to the photo that Mike supplied Could that be the back of the Cong in the background ..???
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  20:11:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go along with Fredd this being Upper Coronation St with the Cong in the background
Go to Top of Page

prof

89 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  20:36:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Upper Coronation St.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  20:39:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pic of Oakeys was during the potato shortage in WWI
(Sorry, but I wasnt there)
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  21:02:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
( Sorry Nor Was I ) .. !!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2012 :  11:47:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and more on the potatoes

Many thanks to Dalex41 for this, also dated 1917 ?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.