Half a tree
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  13:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went in to St George's Church on Saturday morning, and sometime between 10pm the previous night and 7am on Saturday morning, someone has been in the church grounds and sawn one of the trees in half

The phone lines to the old nursery came down with the tree, and I found a new bow saw on the ground alongside the felled tree.

WHY

Why anyone would want to do such an act of vandalism is a mystery to me.

TYG

83 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  18:03:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Were the police interested? Did they take the saw for fingerprints?

Personally I would look at whose line of sight/view has been improved by removing the tree.

"if God has no sense of humour, I'm in trouble."
Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  18:30:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The police came this afternoon. Took the saw.

I'm not sure why this has been done - if someone had a problem with the tree obscuring thier view all they had to do was knock on the door and tell me.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1137 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  19:05:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hypothesis:

Wood burning stove:
Old Tree:
Sawed it down:
Only noticed wires when they came down:
"Oh damn":
Legged it:
"Where's me bow saw":
"Damn" again.

Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  19:20:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another avenue of investigation:

I've just done some reseach on another post on this site in case anyone had posted 'Today I have mostly been cutting down a tree' but no posts for the 23rd !!!
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  19:54:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine Honeydew

Hypothesis:

Wood burning stove:
Old Tree:
Sawed it down:
"Oh damn":
Legged it:
"Where's me bow saw":
"Damn" again.

They Would Have to Wait 6-8 Months for the wood to season
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  21:08:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God sure works in mysterious ways...
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  21:21:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's the strangest thing I have heard in a long time........

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2012 :  21:55:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Immediate thoughts were that it was obscuring someones view, But thinking again, if there was No tree there, what would the view be ..?? .. the side wall of the church ..?? . It Could be a daylight issue or maybe Noisy birds squawking All night .. ??
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1137 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  12:50:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fredd

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine Honeydew

Hypothesis:

Wood burning stove:
Old Tree:
Sawed it down:
"Oh damn":
Legged it:
"Where's me bow saw":
"Damn" again.

They Would Have to Wait 6-8 Months for the wood to season

.......probably not on the lost of "to-do's" of the type of soul who cuts down church trees. They probably would have burned the leaves as well!!

Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  17:44:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems as if our mystery visitor finished cutting through the tree at 4am, as this was the time that the alarm was triggered at the old nursery site. (when the phone lines were cut)

Still a mystery!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1137 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  19:38:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred's noisy birds theory may have merit Fr John. Any nests in it or crap around the base. Someone driven mad at daybreak each day finally snapped, then

We need proper forensics. Where're the SOCO's!! Photos etc

Come on Watson the games afoot!

Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  21:00:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peregrine Honeydew,

Theories abound, but no hard evidence: The birds, blocking the light or the view, poor TV reception, or just a very big woodpecker.

The investigations continue, and I have informed the Blaenau Gwent Tree Preservation Officer today about the incident.

As you know the police took the saw. I resisted the urge to tell them that I wasn't sure if it had been one, two or tree fellers........ and I also missed a golden opportunity to request that they hand thier investigations over to the special branch!

Good luck with the forensics - the game may be afoot, but the tree is about 30 foot shorter!
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  21:01:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It Certainly was'nt a small tree, I Noticed that Some of the smaller branches were cut off earlier .. Probably to gain access to that distance up the tree ...... .. .. !
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5386 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2012 :  22:08:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do anyone gain doing this ? I hope they find the culprit soon Fr John . Also i would ike to say it was lovely down the park yesterday and what a nice turnout and good speech you give Also well done to all that took part .
Go to Top of Page

Fr John
Advanced Member

349 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  15:13:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peregrine Honeydew,

I've just come back from St James' church. Last night, someone has driven in through the back gates and nicked 18 paving stones from the side of the church.

It seems as if we might be looking for someone with a wood burner and new crazy paving !!!

Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2012 :  20:39:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wood burning, crazy paving loving non Anglican, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1137 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  10:51:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
............who hates birdsong, has a HGV license ( or access to a silent transit) and is invisible to the native residents

Narrows it down a bit........................................or is it two separate, though equally heinous, crimes.

Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  11:43:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's obvious! You don't need NCIS or CIA or David Cameron (he's probably still chillaxing???? what's that when it's at home??????)

IT'S CADW!!!! They're scoping out the church so that they can turn it into a filthy, mouldy ,vanilla blancmange like St. Sannans!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  12:35:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The camp fire is lit and hes paving his way for his great return on 21st december 2012.

The

G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

Howie1966

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2012 :  13:28:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should say this, Theres a guy behind me cutting up a tree, he has all the cut branches stashed alongside his garage. Firewood anyone
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2012 :  14:29:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Fr John for the photos....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.