pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  09:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anther photo of Mill Farm by Cyril Rogers

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  17:36:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pic tredegar looked a lot better without all the poxy trees we now have obscuring everything

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  18:43:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to say I think Tred' looks 100 times better with all the beautiful trees.
A lot of the "Landscape" in that photo is man-made spoil - good riddance.

A great historical photo non the less.

Oh, and keep them sheep out!!

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  19:32:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See your point PH but i think nature does a prety good job herself of taking back the spoil tips,
adds a bit of character to the place.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2012 :  21:02:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

great pic tredegar looked a lot better without all the poxy trees we now have obscuring everything

.. Must Agree with You Tarkus, A Lovely Old Photo, but Your Right about the trees Everywhere What a Waste of Time and Taxpayers money Maintaining them all the time, We Have Nasty Wind and they fall on peoples cars etc, Trees are Great in woods or forestries, and that's where they should stay .. ..
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
304 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  02:37:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This brings back memories which I assume our members will have the answers - I remember asking many many years ago. Why was it called Mill Farm? - I assume there was a mill there at some time - What sort of mill, and when?

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  04:59:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the millstone,(perhaps one of a pair) is or was in or near Bedwelty House so I assume it must have used for grinding grain of some kind and possibly driven by water diverted from the river. I was very friendly with Obie Burr and his brother who lived at the farm many years ago. Now that you've raised the topic I'm hoping there are others who know of its history. Have to say the photo in black and white looks a bit dismal but exactly as I remember it. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  13:39:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A nice bit of work by Uncle Bob, "Sheep, What Sheep ?"

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  14:06:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much Better ... !!!
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  14:41:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Mutton do that Uncle Bob.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:39:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lloyd family lived thre about the turn of the century. At that time it was a working farm but I believe the mill had ceased by then. As Emrys says the millstone in the Park is from there.
(I would guess also that it was for griding grain).
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  17:13:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
uncle bob, you promised me those sheep,i had already taken orders. did someone outbid me? lol.
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  07:30:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trefilboy

This brings back memories which I assume our members will have the answers - I remember asking many many years ago. Why was it called Mill Farm? - I assume there was a mill there at some time - What sort of mill, and when?

trefilboy

From Oliver Jones' Early days of Sirhowy and Tredegar:-

quote:
Y Felin (The Mill) was another important place in days gone by. It stood on the site of the present Mill Farm and was one of the two grist mills then serving the top end of the valley, the other being at Nant Melin (Brook Mill) on Twyn Sirhowy. In its heyday Y Felin was renowned as a "gossip shop" where the local inhabitants were wont to meet to discuss their affairs and to hear the news of the outside world. There, too, the eagerly awaited annual "gathering" was held, the nearest the Glyn ever knew to a holiday when the time would be given over to singing, dancing, impromptu sports and games for the children for them, never to be forgotten occasions.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
304 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2012 :  18:18:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Mike - I remember reading Oliver Jones'book probably 50 years ago, so details are hazy, but you answered my question as to why mill farm.
I also remember walking up the river (and under the road bridge)in my early teens and looking for a mill.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.