Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Old Photo of Georgetown - Can you help...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  14:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing strange about the picture below, but I spotted a street that I did not know existed before !

Anybody got any history of the street? Located by the S-Bends at the top of Georgetown hill (white square in top photo, enlarged bottom photo...)

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  14:48:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be Mount Pleasent? i had a friend Malcolm Peck who used to live there (sadly passed away last year). I think it was demolished around early 60s
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  14:57:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking again at the photo i noticed the Row of houses to the left of the said row you are refering to,now that was i am sure Mount Pleasent. I am wondering if there could have been an Upper & Lower Mount Pleasent??
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  15:04:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could it be a part of Mount Pleasant? I recall one row above Georgetown still occupied after the war and the remains of some houses beyond that.On one map I have a "brick yard" is shown in that area but it doesn't seem to have a company name. Can't help but think it was an odd place for making bricks given its location and the obvious need for transportation in the process. I wonder if in fact it was a collection of houses rather than a place to manufacture bricks. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  15:15:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can remember those houses. We used to pass them on the walk to Ebbw Vale. I also used to deliver bread to them when I worked for Reg Fear in the school Holidays.
As Butch said they were demolished in the 60's.
The other houses on the left were also demolished about the same time.

Like you Emrys I've often wondered why they were built so far above Tredegar? Could they have been built before No. 9 as there is the remains of a large lake about 200 yards above the houses. They might have been built for workers who gleaned the iron from the patches for the early iron works.

Edited by - Bryan Rendell on 06/08/2012 15:16:24
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  15:43:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks All
Mount Pleasant it is (look on http://www.tredegar.co.uk/panoramic/1878.htm)

Passed that place a thousand times, never knew it existed, or the brick works to the right.....

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  17:28:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While in the same general area what is the history of the buildings located either side of the Tredegar-Ebbw Vale mountain road nearer to Ebbw Vale ?? They look like they could have been a toll gate except that they are so large. Could they have been military barracks?? but if so why would they have been needed in that area??. Have driven that road many times and never thought to enquire locally. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  17:54:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never knew there was a Brick Works there. Could the houses be those of the workers who worked in the Brick Works?

I've walked that area hundreds of times when I was young, but saw no sign of the brick works.

The photograph shows wonderful views of where I used to live in Georgetown - No. 6 and No.30 Mafeking and also 49 Kimberley Tce.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  19:24:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You moved about a bit then Bryan, i take it you didnt need Pickfords to move you those distances, lol. take care. Butch.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  21:38:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Suppose Brick Works and Brick Yard, could be two different things, It's listed on the Timeline in 1861 as a Brickyard ...
Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  22:35:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having looked at the map, I noticed that there is a quarry marked a distance above the brick works. The workers there could have needed accomodation in Mount Pleasant as well as those making bricks.
I also remember both terraces, known to me as Top and Bottom Mount Pleasant, when they were occupied and have a recollection that the lower row did not have electricity. One resident could often be seen taking a wet battery to J C Charles to be charged.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2407 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2012 :  23:07:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got this postcard too but no mention of a year on it- any ideas approx year / decade? Our house is on there but pic is before my time!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  08:51:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cae,

I've studied the photograph for a long time and I think it might have been taken about 1950.

What makes me think this is that at the end of Mafeking Tce (white Wall) there used to be a garage owed by Mr Smallwood. It was a wooden affair and next door to it Jack Burr also had a tin garage.

We used to play as youngsters Bat and Cattw there and also used the wooden garage to mark up stumps when we played cricket.

The wooden garage was dismantled about 1950.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2407 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  12:02:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks for that Bryan
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  21:22:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember wether I was told, or That I'd read somewhere that, at the end of the top row of Mount Pleasant, was the end of the road from Tredegar at some stage, and that if You wanted to go to E V You'ld have to walk , Apparently there was a gate or style, or both there .....???
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  22:23:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the border line between Tredegar and Ebbw on that road? Is it the cattle grid?

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  22:43:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Where is the border line between Tredegar and Ebbw on that road? Is it the cattle grid? ...................................
That's a question I would'nt know But I know A Tredegar Man who told me that he owns the ground just this side of the cattle grid where the two cottages were on the right hand side from Tredegar, And i Know The E V Man who's now got some stables etc where Mount Pleasant was ....

Edited by - fredd on 07/08/2012 22:45:55
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2012 :  23:36:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The border line between Tredegar and Ebbw Vale is the centre line of the old Manmoel Road which runs north/south between the garage at the top of Sirhowy and Manmoel.

quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Where is the border line between Tredegar and Ebbw on that road? Is it the cattle grid?

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  08:19:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fred,

I've walked to Ebbw Vale many times and back on a Saturday night in the 1950's and played around that area with my pals for many years before that.
To my knowledge the road was never gated, but the road was untarmaced and made up of very rough stones. There was a five bar gate just past the houses which went in to a field.
As you approached the downhill stretch coming into the ourtskirts of E.V. there was a house with a gate which could be used to close the road. By the side of the house were railway tracks coming up from the works - don't know where they went to. Only once did I see an engine and trucks on the line
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  16:35:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving from the topic a bit I clearly recall a locomotive and trucks moving along a railway line on what we knew as the "black tips" between Sirhowy and the old number nine pit. Once found a "latchers" pole by the railway lines. We buried it hoping to retreive it later but despite several subsequent visits to the area failed to find it again Number nine had been then closed for many years by then so clearly coal wasn't being moved. I have since thought the trucks may have been moving shale to the Sirhowy brickyard but can't recall ever seeing a locomotive crossing on Sirhowy hill. I have a vague recollection there was an old and disused railway line embedded in the road approximately in front of the Sirhowy Inn.. Can anyone remember this railway line, if it did cross Sirhowy Hill? and what it was used for?? Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:08:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was born during WW2 and the only railway lines i can recall that crossed the road in Sirhowy was the one via the tunnel (now blocked up) just uphill from the Railway Tavern and the other was via the old overbridge just uphill from Sirhowy Junior School. It may have been the latter that served the Brickworks in Sirhowy. Changing the subject it was near to this bridge that a terrible accident occurred in the late 1940's when a lorry fully laden run away down Sirhowy Hill due to brake failure and crushed a poor unfortunate school girl (Ceridwen Davies) who had been the first out of school that day and if it had happened a matter of minutes later a disaster of Aberfan proportions would have occurred since the bulk of the children exiting the school would have been involved.

quote:
Originally posted by emrys

Moving from the topic a bit I clearly recall a locomotive and trucks moving along a railway line on what we knew as the "black tips" between Sirhowy and the old number nine pit. Once found a "latchers" pole by the railway lines. We buried it hoping to retreive it later but despite several subsequent visits to the area failed to find it again Number nine had been then closed for many years by then so clearly coal wasn't being moved. I have since thought the trucks may have been moving shale to the Sirhowy brickyard but can't recall ever seeing a locomotive crossing on Sirhowy hill. I have a vague recollection there was an old and disused railway line embedded in the road approximately in front of the Sirhowy Inn.. Can anyone remember this railway line, if it did cross Sirhowy Hill? and what it was used for?? Emrys.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:16:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think I'm in the right spot ?

The location known as Mount Pleasant today in 2012

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  20:24:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats about it Pierre. I came down it this morning,and i must say it has a much better surface than Parkville,and most streets in the Town.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2012 :  21:34:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's The Kiddie .. !!
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  00:47:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Daleks. I had forgotten about the railway bridge over Sirhowy Hill. Now that you suggest it the line on that bridge may have carried shale to the brickyard but I very much doubt it was built for that purpose. Did you (or any one else) ever see passenger traffic cross that bridge?? and if so which areas did it serve??. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2012 :  07:50:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emrys,
Like Daleks I remember the railway bridge very well, having been born just a short distance away.
My memories go back to the late 1940/50s but I cannot recall any rail traffic using it and I suspect it was many years previously when it was last used for rail traffic.
It used to be a "dare" for local lads to cross the bridge on the OUTSIDE using a narrow ledge and it was a miracle no-one was seriously injured!

If you look at the 1878 map on this site, the railway line appears to extend to the west directly to the Sirhowy Ironworks.
To the southeast it leads in the general direction of Tredegar Ironworks with many spurs and off-shoots, presumably linking to the many levels and mines in that area.

Incidentally, I remember a stone structure directly to the left of the bridge (looking up the hill).
It was many years later when I discovered it was the remains of a lime kiln - also shown on the map.
Sadly, all traces of this industrial heritage were eradicated years ago - along with Sirhowy School!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.