Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  14:08:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie has contacted us with a question on a photo she has, Jackie wrote:

"Hi. I wonder if you could help me identify a photograph that I have. It is of a shoe shop called J Baker & Sons. I originally thought that it could have been taken in Merthyr, but when I contacted the Merthyr website I was directed to your website instead. My family were from Tredegar and the Merthyr site thought that there may have been a branch of this shop in Tredegar. I would be grateful if you could have a look at the attached photograph and try and place it for me.
Many thanks"

Anybody got any info? Ring any bells ?

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  15:42:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On page 18 of Phil Prossers book (Volume One),"A Look At Old Tredegar" there is an excellent photo showing "BAKERS BOOTS" dated 1917. Photo includes hanging sign. A few doors away from Fras,Geo, Hutchings, (dentist)who was located at number one hundred Commercial St. Then in the 1914 Kellys Directory,James Baker & Sons, Boot Makers, are shown at number 86 CommercialSt. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2012 :  15:56:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emrys, you are a star

Thank you.....

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

JackieC

1 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2012 :  19:13:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Pierre for posting this photo for me, and thank you so much Emrys for giving me the above information. I'm now going to try and find a copy of the book mentioned. I believe the young man on the left of the photo is my great great uncle, George Perry..
Many thanks once again.

Jackie
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  23:00:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello JackieC,you can try and get a copy from the Publishers,here is the name & address> Old Bakehouse Publications, Church St. Abertillery,Gwent, NP3 1EA. Telephone No. 01495 212600. If you dont have any luck let me know and i will get in touch with the author,Phillip Prosser and maybe he will be able to help you. Good Luck, Butch
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2012 :  23:59:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've Got the book in Question , and Must say that, The Shop is Definitly the same shop that Emrys told You About, but the photo was taken from north to south down Commercial St, With a very clear sight of the Bakers boots sign ... The Only thing printed below the photo was " Commercial Street in 1917 " Phillip told me that the book Was ,Only a Brief History of Photographs ..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.