New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  19:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another classic by Glyn Bennett. Many thanks for this great (but sad) photo.

Glyn added:

"Here is a photograph of the entrance to the Workmen's Hall cinema shortly before demolition in 1995"

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  20:19:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must have passed it hundreds of times without (a) realising that it was a good example of Art Deco, and (b) even knowing what Art Deco was

Mike
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  20:30:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like everything of Tredegars history the decision was made .........tear it down!
can you imagine a building today that is a cinema, theatre, club dance hall, library,snooker hall,meeting room all under one roof?
we would be the envy of the valleys
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  21:53:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The " New Club ", Must Have been the Best, in the Valleys, Without A Shadow of a doubt .. !!
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2012 :  23:54:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new club was great but they even ripped that down!
and what have we now got? bugg*r all

Edited by - uncle bob on 30/12/2012 23:56:28
Go to Top of Page

charlsey

37 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  00:17:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what a great place to go to always remember the library with he reading room on the left as you entered and all them stairs to the snooker hall
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  08:14:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember my dad taking me to the library when I was little. The room that the childrens books was in seemed huge but was very small really. I also remember being frightened of the long passage (why I don't know)!
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  09:52:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spent many hours there both as a child going to the cinema every Saturday morning then latter in life using the snooker hall upstairs it was better than going to school.

Good memories I was sad when it was demolished such a waste
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  09:47:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to fredd for this one, dated 1979

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2014 :  09:22:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another picture of the Workmans hall from 1979

Go to Top of Page

JulesDrup

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2021 :  20:45:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw many films there when I was little. I was taken by my Nan who would then take me to the chip shop around the corner for a treat afterwards. Wonderful memories.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  09:23:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great memory is playing a young Ray Reardon . Well I broke off and spent the rest of the game putting balls on spots. In fairness he paid the sixpence!
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1625 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  10:57:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who remembers going to "2nd house" in the hall. You bought your ticket then queued in the dark tunnel to the right of the main entrance. There was really no lighting and it smelled of diesel oil. When "1st house" finished ayou would enter through the side door half way down on the right.
Strong incentive to o upstairs but that was a shilling. Downstairs was 7p.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1702 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  12:08:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They used to let everyone out through the "tunnel" after Saturday morning pictures, I remember seeing War of the Worlds (which was an excellent film) and numerous cowboy pics too
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1278 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2021 :  14:16:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember the film. THE BLOB
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.