New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

butch

United Kingdom
1972 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2013 :  22:39:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to be of assistence, but, Mary would not be far short of my age at an educated guess late 60s
Go to Top of Page

nantybwch

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  10:06:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

So many replies and all are right.
Park Cafe at top
Annie Bernstein just below (I was told that she, or sister, was left alone during Jewish riots since she was always good to thoswith little money)
Then Fears the baker (Ron Gregory photographer had one of these two shops for a few years)
Opp was YMCA where Will John was the manager. table tennes, snooker and a card school most nights
Lippiards Fish shop below
Opp was Jack Jayve the cobbler; he served in bicycle m/c gun regt in WWI
Frank Blunt was on the Corn St corner (He had a place just above the Transport at one time)
Ruby Hughes (Tranter) had the Womans Hair Dresser
Russell the butcher next down from Blunt
Florrie Bartlett's sweeet shop
Blan Lucas ran the florist, fruiterer opp Florrie (His brother died at Tredegar Hill, Burma)
A gap then with a large sweet shop (name forgotten)
Pembreys sweet shop just below
Mizpah chapel--- Thats about it.
Bryan is almost right about me; I actually lived there for about 8 months but did spend holidays there
TUDC had compulsay purchse to develop the area BUT they never did

Go to Top of Page

nantybwch

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2013 :  10:13:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Milkman' : I'm interested in what you say about what you said about Blan Lucas and the shop. What period are you talking about there? 40's, 50's? And would that have been No. 30? I'm trying to find more info about his brother, Harold, the one killed at 'Tredegar Hill'. I'd appreciate anything you can tell me about him and the family. Many thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

So many replies and all are right.
Park Cafe at top
Annie Bernstein just below (I was told that she, or sister, was left alone during Jewish riots since she was always good to thoswith little money)
Then Fears the baker (Ron Gregory photographer had one of these two shops for a few years)
Opp was YMCA where Will John was the manager. table tennes, snooker and a card school most nights
Lippiards Fish shop below
Opp was Jack Jayve the cobbler; he served in bicycle m/c gun regt in WWI
Frank Blunt was on the Corn St corner (He had a place just above the Transport at one time)
Ruby Hughes (Tranter) had the Womans Hair Dresser
Russell the butcher next down from Blunt
Florrie Bartlett's sweeet shop
Blan Lucas ran the florist, fruiterer opp Florrie (His brother died at Tredegar Hill, Burma)
A gap then with a large sweet shop (name forgotten)
Pembreys sweet shop just below
Mizpah chapel--- Thats about it.
Bryan is almost right about me; I actually lived there for about 8 months but did spend holidays there
TUDC had compulsay purchse to develop the area BUT they never did

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1631 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2013 :  21:53:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Nanty, I lived there in the early 50s; (but I only really visited during the holidays).I did know the lucas family.
There is a paperback on Tredegar's part in WWII which mentions Harold-
"... Jimmy Tranter was shot and Harold Lucas was wounded in the arm but when he heard that Jimmy was shot and hadn't been brought in he went out for him. The Japs were waiting with a machine gun"
This is a transcript from a letter sent to his mother by Sgt J butler of Iron St.
I know that there are Butlers of this family still in the area; one was a paramedic at Nevil Hall but may possibly be retired.
Do any other readers know of them?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.