New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  08:10:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Roderick for uploading this excellent photo into the on-line gallery. The photo was amongst some family photos.

Anybody got any info on it ?

joyce

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  15:31:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1940s and 1950s, there were two bakers, one at the back of Rawlinson Terrace and one at the bottom of Glyn Terrace.
The Rawlinson Terrace bakery had a shop in Glyn Terrace and was called Jones and Porter. We took our turkey there to be cooked one Christmas when my mother had an accident. A lot of people used to have their Christmas poultry cooked at the bakers, and you had to mark the tins for identification.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  16:16:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was also a bakery at the rear of Charles St. and similarly everyone had their Christmas poultry there. There was also a large bakery between the tram road and Charles St - the Coop which eventually put the smaller bakeries out of business.

DKJones53
Go to Top of Page

RoderickWilliams

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  19:12:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the photo of M H Hugh's Bakery van. I have no idea of the date perhaps 1920's as a guess. It was a postcard with no info on the back amongst old family photos. How my in-laws obtained it is a mystery? We live over at Talgarth and the in-laws were at nearby Bronllys where the old TB Sanitorium was. The inlaws, surname Patterson were originally Scottish but the 19th century saw them living in Herefordshire and later in the 20th in Breconshire. As far as we know there was no history of coal mining in the family at all, mainly agriculture work. As i recently investigated their family history I can find no connection with the photo whatsoever.
I am glad you like the photo, Regards, Roderick Williams.

Edited by - RoderickWilliams on 20/02/2013 19:14:07
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  19:35:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cats Whiskers, Absolutely Brilliant .. !! Thank You Roderick, Welcome to the Forum, And keep them pictures coming .. .. ..!!
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  12:43:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Bakehouse that i can remember down the tip was a Braces at the lower corner of top Walter St. behind Derrick Carters shop. Like most people we took our Goose there to be cooked, but the Baker would only cook them after he had baked his bread for the day. Joyce mentioned Jones & Porters, they were quite a big concern, having severel shops in most valley towns, there were three that i knew of in Tredegar, top corner of Glyn Terr. bottom corner of Queen Victoria St. and i am fairly sure there was one in Butleigh Terr.Dukestown. their headquarters and main Depot was in Newbridge, where Mr.Jones & Mr.Porter lived. their vans were orange & black. I hope this piece of useless information has evoked memories for some of you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.