Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  13:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bedwellty House and Park to be restored to former glory

One of Wales ' most historic sites, Bedwellty House and Park, Tredegar, has achieved the first stage of funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) to enable major redevelopment of the site.

The stage one pass* means that HLF has earmarked £3,599,000 for the project, which will be rolled out if more detailed plans are approved. The proposals aim to restore Bedwellty House and Park to their former glory for community use.

A £253,000 development grant has also been awarded to help Blaenau Gwent Council and partners progress the plans, in order to secure the full £3.6 million funding.

Bedwellty House is a Grade II listed building that was home to Lord Tredegar, whose Iron and Coal Works were the principal local employer for much of the nineteenth century. In 1901 the ironmaster handed over ownership of the 26 acre park to the town and the house subsequently became home to the local council until 1974. In that time the council chamber witnessed the first political activities of a young Aneurin Bevan, who became a local working class hero as architect of the welfare state.

The house and park are still used for functions, meetings and events, but are not the hub of social and recreational activity they once were. The proposed project will help to position the site as a focus for community activity once again.

Proposals include the restoration of the house and its conversion into a multi-use facility. This will include offices, workshops and educational space, as well as a café to encourage the local community to use the house for group meetings, social events and lectures. Within the house there will be exhibitions and interpretation panels to help bring the industrial and social history of the site to life for all visitors.

Plans also include the restoration and enhancement of the Grade II parkland. Within the park there are a number of significant Grade II listed structures including the icehouse, the bandstand, the boundary stone, the war memorial and the world famous Great Exhibition block of coal - 15 tonnes hewn in a single block! All these help to attract visitors to the park, in addition to other historically important features such as the long shelter, kitchen garden, fishponds, grotto and cast-iron fountain.

This major project will include everything from restoring the historic structures to the introduction of seating and lighting, the opening up of the nature conservation area, improved planting and the restoration and restocking of fish in the ponds.

The scheme will also create three full-time post to oversee the restoration programme and plan community events, expanding the use of the house for educational purposes and recruiting volunteers from the local area. Volunteer guides will be trained and sports clubs and schools will be encouraged to use the facilities.

Dan Clayton Jones, Chair of the Committee for Wales at Heritage Lottery Fund, says: "The aim of the project is to open up this fantastic house and park for thousands more people each year. The park is Tredegar's main heritage site and this proposed work would play a key role in the town's economic regeneration, transforming Bedwellty into a key destination for the local community as well as creating a tourist attraction for the area."

Councillor Steve Thomas, Executive Member for Health and Wellbeing - Healthy Living, for Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, said: "We are extremely pleased that the first stage of funding has been secured from the Heritage Lottery Fund to help restore and develop Bedwellty House and Park to its full potential. We will now be working with our partners to hone the plans in order to see the release of the £3.5 million. It is a fantastic facility that has such an important historical story to tell and we hope that the restoration will once again see it as a hub for community use, as well as attracting visitors from outside the area."

Thanks for Steve Thomas for this great bit of news

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 22/12/2007 20:51:00

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  13:44:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great, bring back the witches hat
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  16:07:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I reckon the money would be better spent on other things!!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  16:13:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/6503823.stm
Go to Top of Page

bodi

25 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  12:35:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the entrance hall of bedwelty house there used to be a recess with a glass door containing a wooden casket of earth brought back from Burma after the second war, the earth was from a hill where tredegar men were killed fighting the japanese,so many died there, it was called tredegar hill , i was told as a child, that a light was kept burning in the recess at all times. its about 30 years or more since i last visited the house. can any one tell me what has happened to this Burma memorial, is it still in the house or been moved for safe keeping else where ?
Go to Top of Page

Wilson101

10 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2007 :  14:06:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
swahili sheila
Its because of people like you that our town is the way it is. At least it will attract the right kind of people for once and have somewhere to enjoy the summer. WHat exacly would be ideal to spend the money on then Sheila?....Come on, u tell us?

CLWILSON
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2007 :  14:16:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ME
Go to Top of Page

SoTired
Advanced Member

150 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2007 :  14:27:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is great news. I spent a great deal of time in the park when I was younger and I would love it if my children could enjoy it the way I did.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2007 :  19:01:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's worrying is, will all the money be spent on Bedwelty park.
Or will there be some newly appointed "fat cat" positions at the Civic centre, each creaming off £300,000 a year?
Go to Top of Page

bugsbunny

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  01:50:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is about time that some money is spent in Tredegar..
I loved the park as a child and I did write to the council about the
state of the place.

I had a reply back that was not encouraging blaming the youth of
today and vandalism - it said that it was likely that no money would be spent because of this.

I want to see the park FULLY RESTORED...it was a nice place to escape to if you needed some time away from the rat race of life.

Bugs
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  10:13:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WILSON 101
I reckon the money should be better spent on employment and somewhere exciting for children to go. Im not saying spend nothing on the park but 3.7 million is alot of money for one thing. And there is people like you WILSON 101 who want tredegar to stay the same and not move with the times!!! A good cinema, bowling alley or something would attract alot more people!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  11:40:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£3.6 million funding for the park. It's great news

Sure, we need more, but this is a great start.

As soon as we get more info on the project, I'll post it up on the site !
Go to Top of Page

Wilson101

10 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  20:48:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shawli....Maybe THEY r GOING to put something like a bowling alley into the park. So i think you need to correct yourself there. And why would i want Tredegar to stay the same if im agreeing on the money being spent to make the park a better place. If i wanted Tredegar to stay the same i would say thats its a rubbish idea and not to spend money on Tredegar at all. And another thing. There did used to be a cinema in Tredegar. So now whos the one who wants 'Tredegar to stay the same' hmmm?

CLWILSON
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  10:52:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilson 101, its swahili not shawli by the way. As I said previously 3.6 million is alot of money im not saying not spend nothing on the park £1 million i reckon is plentiful. When Tredegar had a cinema the town was more busy attracting people from other towns this is what we want to attract people to our town. And did you read the first statement there is no mention of a bowling alley, so I dont think I need to correct myself!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

bugsbunny

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  12:16:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets hope that this is the start of further investment in the town, it does need a major
development...I am really happy, I just hope the park will be orientated towards children as it used to be.

Bugs
Go to Top of Page

Wilson101

10 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  18:06:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WILSON 101
I reckon the money should be better spent on employment and somewhere exciting for children to go. Im not saying spend nothing on the park but 3.7 million is alot of money for one thing. And there is people like you WILSON 101 who want tredegar to stay the same and not move with the times!!! A good cinema, bowling alley or something would attract alot more people!

LOOK ABOVE swalli, what eva your name is

CLWILSON
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  20:04:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep it less hostile, PLEASE!
Go to Top of Page

Wilson101

10 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  01:36:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Pierre but it gets to me that 1 minute people moan 'Oh Tredegar hasnt got anything here, no1 comes here' blah blah blah but when they try and spend money on some places they arnt happy with that. Sorry Pierre, had to get my view across.

CLWILSON
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  08:18:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bottom line is that 3.6 million is being spent on an improvement to our town. It's fantastic news!

Positive motivation is needed by all to keep up the momentum we will have from this high investment

So what are we saying that the town needs next?

Improvement in the house stock?
Cimema ?
Or simply a higher profile ?
Go to Top of Page

bugsbunny

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  10:38:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed...it is brill..we need to advertise the town positively, to get people to invest...We also need to teach the younger generation to appreciate what they have and not vandalise it. Tredegar needs a postive advert, only the town can do this.

Any news on the work on the town clock to get that working?

Bugs
Go to Top of Page

bugsbunny

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  10:42:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the Lido will be restored?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

swahili sheila

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  19:21:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree to, that 3.6 million investment to our town is fantastic but other things need to be improved to thats why I am saying spend some of the money on other things!
Go to Top of Page

ohaganfamily@bigpond.com

Australia
122 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  01:18:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps a little of the money could be spent on the preservation of the cholera cemetery. This is an important historical landmark that is going to disappear altogether if not cared for.

annette o'hagan
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  09:55:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully this is just the beginning for Tredegar. Perhaps this grant will open the doors for further Government spending and commercial growth. My GrandFather was sent (from his sisters, Phyllis, Christina & Alexandria) a small glass paperweight depicting a statue of a soldier at Bedwelty Park War Memorial. Does this statue still exist?
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:05:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes the statue is still proudly standing there.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:21:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou 'OldCefnLad'... My grandfather would be glad to hear that, as am I. He told me many stories of growing up in Tredegar, of playing in the park and the bandstand and swimming in the baths (now gone i read, sad it is). He left Tredegar in 1928 and lost contact with his family during WW2, but was always proudly Welsh. Thanks truly again....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.