New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2013 :  20:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another classic from Mr. Keith Jones, this time of the Grammer School Rubgy 1949-1950. Keith Added:

"I have most of the names :-
Back row :- R T Baxter, ?, Graham Pascoe, Ray Thomas, Jeff Thomas, G Bowditch, Clive Jones, John Meyrick, Keith Jones,

Front row:- B Rickards,Tom Jenkins, Glyn Evans(capt), Walter Tidswell( Headmaster), John Arnold, Alun Lloyd, Roland Evans.

Those still with us will be about 80 by now - it would be interesting to hear from them !
"

For more pictures of the grammer school, please click here

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2013 :  16:49:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next to Roy Baxter is David (Dai) Phillips.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  18:30:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another photo, kindly sent in my Keith

Keith added, ". The names as far as I remember are:-

Back row ( l to r):-J H Phillips, John Davies, Glyn Evans, Jeff Thomas, Leighton Jenkins, Clive Jones, Roy Price, Keith Jones.
Front row:- Walter Tidswell(headmaster),John Meyrick, Graham Edwards, E G Powell, Roland Jones (capt.), Alwyn Walters, Ray Thomas, Tom Jenkins, Mr Jones( PE master) ."

Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  20:19:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leighton Jenkins - is he the same as the one who played for Newport and Wales ? How many caps did he have ? I think that he lived in Butleigh Terrace and his father was a Policeman in Tredegar during the 1950's. I wonder what became of him ?
I also played rugby with Graham Edwards (now deceased) for Trefil during the 1960's and he was a lovely bloke.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  21:25:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dalek's, you are correct , Leighton did win a few caps and his Father was a policeman , a sergeant as I remember.

DKJones53
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  23:02:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leighton Jenkins played at No.8 and won 5 Welsh caps between 1954 and 1956.
Daleks may remember his portrait photo which was displayed (along with many other school photos) in the central corridor in T.G.S.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1630 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  17:03:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leighton lived in the street immediately above Arnolds Hole (I think). In talking to Bryn Meredith he thought that Leighton (who was an RAF officer) was later in charge of the RAF rugby team
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:08:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right Tom. I met him in Tred just after he joined the R

DKJones53
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  13:11:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AF and he played for them for some years before becoming team manager.

DKJones53
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  10:55:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi KenJ - I wonder what happened to all the old photos and House Competition shields that used to line the old school corridor - plus where's all the Victor Ludorum plaques and cups gone ? I should have a part claim on them since I won them at all levels Junior. Middle and Senior for MYNWY under my mentor Dennis Evans (where's he now?)and I've still got all my badges and cups stored away somewhere in the attic next move the skip I suspect.

quote:
Originally posted by KenJ

Leighton Jenkins played at No.8 and won 5 Welsh caps between 1954 and 1956.
Daleks may remember his portrait photo which was displayed (along with many other school photos) in the central corridor in T.G.S.

Go to Top of Page

LeightonHJ

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  10:23:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, this is Leighton himself, still very much alive and not quite kicking.

I was so pleased to be able to find this website and to look through the old photos and memories from my younger days of Tredegar.

I now live near one of my sons in North Lincolnshire but am up and running on the internet at last.

Leighton
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  13:11:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leighton ,glad to know you are still with us. What part of Lincolnshire are you . I worked there for a couple of years and played for Market Rasen for a couple of years .Nice part of the country with very pleasant friendly people. Great to read your post, cheers ,Keith Jones.
Go to Top of Page

rhyd boy
Advanced Member

New Zealand
166 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  18:32:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I to played rugby for Trefil in the mid sixties and remember Graham Edwards as the gentleman you say. Graham also acted has trainer and refereed some games.
quote:
Originally posted by Daleks

Leighton Jenkins - is he the same as the one who played for Newport and Wales ? How many caps did he have ? I think that he lived in Butleigh Terrace and his father was a Policeman in Tredegar during the 1950's. I wonder what became of him ?
I also played rugby with Graham Edwards (now deceased) for Trefil during the 1960's and he was a lovely bloke.

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1630 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2014 :  20:57:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graham was a great bloke.
That is why he revelled in the nickname of "Gracious"
Great to see that Leighton has joined the happy throng.
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  20:33:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember you well playing for Trefil and I believe you went from there to the Ironsides about the same time or perhaps a little later after my brother Frank. I also remember playing the same time as your brother Alistair - great guy. Happy days !!

quote:
Originally posted by rhyd boy

Hello, I to played rugby for Trefil in the mid sixties and remember Graham Edwards as the gentleman you say. Graham also acted has trainer and refereed some games.
quote:
Originally posted by Daleks

Go to Top of Page

LeightonHJ

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2014 :  21:05:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am just getting to grips with my new computer, so apologies for the delay! I now live near the Humber Bridge in Winterton, but know Market Rasen quite well, having previously lived in Welton Near Lincoln, since moving to the area after leaving the RAF.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  16:48:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leighton , havenít heard from you recently .Are you OK, Keith Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.