General Discussion - Tredegar
 trefil railway
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ldando

1 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  12:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone has any photos or maps of trefil railway. My dad worked on the railway and took me on a trip to the quarry when i was a kid. Great experience for a 7 year old travelling on the footplate of a steam engine.

milkman

United Kingdom
1625 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  20:44:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the main gallery under " trains" there is a photo of the last train leaving Trefil.
There is also a pic of a Tredegar to Trefil train on flangeless wheels, which I am sure is in somewhere.
If you cannot find it I will unearth a copy for you.
Go to Top of Page

bluebird2008

United Kingdom
104 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  00:43:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ldando

Just wondering if anyone has any photos or maps of trefil railway. My dad worked on the railway and took me on a trip to the quarry when i was a kid. Great experience for a 7 year old travelling on the footplate of a steam engine.

My dad was a "latcher" on this line, and like you I also had a few rides on the loco's when I was a kid, great times and memories. My dad may have a few photos with us on the footplate, see if I can dig them out. Imagine what the Health and Safety officers would think of this
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  10:05:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Bryan for the photo, Bryan added:

"I was informed that it was a relative of mine - Uriah Randall - who was the engine driver. He was an engine driver in Tredegar Iron Works. His son was also Uriah and he followed his father, being also an engine driver. His son was Roy Randall who lived in Shop Row. His son lives down Brompton , Tredegar.

When I was quite small my father took me down to the Iron Works and Uriah let me pull levers and drop sand onto the track."

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1625 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  15:42:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the pic I referred to, Bryan. Glad you had it.
I didnt know of Roy's family history as Loco Drivers
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  11:09:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Dalex41 for the pictures below

pem-y-lan farm trefil in the background.

....and look at the car on the right !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.