Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  09:40:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Snowy for this one

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  10:10:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snowy, Thank you,from 1955 to 58 this was my means of transport from Blackwood to Newport,change at Crosskeys I left to join the Navy on possibly this train,coming home on leave and returning to my ships I served on.I sure missed it,having to catch the bus instead,no more train warrant's to Blackwood
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  18:25:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the station in the photo ?
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  20:06:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwjames40

Where is the station in the photo ?

Nantybwch Station,
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  20:21:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tarkus,, can You remember the makes of them three bicycles .. ??
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  20:23:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ffred
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  21:12:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwjames40

Thanks ffred

No problem, !
Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  21:19:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When did Tredegar lose it's passenger train service, was it as a result of the Beeching cuts to the railways in the 60s?

It is ironic now that a lot of these branch lines that were closed in the 60s with the dash for the car are now being re-opened to get people out of the car & onto public transport.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  22:41:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Davey, The loss of the railways in Tredegar Was Not long before good old dr beechings cuts. But that " Clever dick " Must have cost this Country 100s of millions of pounds
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1632 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2014 :  20:52:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasnt only Beeching.
Just think-we hada comprehensive tram network; so we tore them all out- our european neighbours still have them. (We are now rebuilding them- Nottingham, Manchester, Edinburgh etc)
We replaced them with trolley buses; a lesser network but very quick and low cost- so we tore them down; Cardiff finished in late 60s.
We replaced them with motor buses- then we had the Petrol "wars" of the 1970s and fuel shot up.
Sometimes we seem to plan ahead to such an extent that nothing is left behind.
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
542 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  15:42:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre, I misled you on the actual date, according to the one DVD it was Jan 5th 1958 not 1960.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  19:41:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Smoky, Will amend that one :o)

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1632 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  19:44:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was the last train on MT and A line.The last train on the Sirhowy line was in 1960.
I have a feeling that it did not go to Nanty but Trefilboy was on it and can probably confirm.
Go to Top of Page

smokey
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  20:35:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre looks as if you are getting me mixed up with Snowy
Regards Smokey

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  21:20:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, this small phone keyboard and my fat fingers are playing tricks again :-)

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  22:00:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another Lovely photo of Nantybwch Station that I've borrowed,

Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  23:38:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MM - unfortunately I can't find the vidoes I took of the last train ride, I think I may have left them in Lower Farm, and my memory must be failing me because I thought it went to Nantybwch, but now I'm not sure it did.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2014 :  23:45:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same loco in both photos - Number 3634.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  02:39:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a video, (courtesy of Pierre) entitled, THE LAST TRAIN FROM ABERGAVENNY TO MERTHYR 5TH JANUARY 1958.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  07:46:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thinking Emrys, will dig that up and stick it on-line for all to see :o)

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2014 :  22:10:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen Two photo's today that shows that it was still running, in 1960.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  04:17:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We seem to have the "last train to Nantybwch" running in two seperate columns, this one and also with photographs etc. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  09:35:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Emrys, Will have a go at merging the two topics :o)

Hope to get the video on-line today.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  10:19:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
542 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  10:38:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the back of the above photo I had written (many years ago) that it was 1960, but on the "TREDEGAR TOO" DVD a gentleman train enthusiast named Gerald Davies says that the last time a train went over the Nine Arches Viaduct was Jan 5th 1958 so I took it to mean that was the last train out of Nantybwch as well.
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
542 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2014 :  10:49:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Trefilboy, I'm wondering is the Lower Farm you talk about is the Perkins farm down by Pochin?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.