Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  10:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a lovely walk around the lake this morning, but I noticed a fence around the one side of the lake. Cannot be to keep the ducks in the lake (big gap at bottom), so maybe a health and safety thing maybe?

Anybody know ?

More photos and video of the link in the Tredegar on-0line gallery, here.

nairod

United Kingdom
147 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  10:44:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checked with a member of staff and it is to stop the ducks - Perhaps they forgot they can fly :-)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  12:05:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks nairod, maybe I should send them the photo - look at the right of the bench, its one of them duck things :o)

Go to Top of Page

Leathers

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  12:57:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is absolutely ridiculous kids have been feeding ducks since Adam was a boy my daughter for 1 enjoys going up there and feeding them what is the world coming to
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  13:15:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leathers,

below is a picture of what has been placed on the fence.

As long as the geese cannot get under the fence with their young in a few months time, I think its a good positive step in the right direction. Some big gaps under that fence mind so time will tell.

Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  14:43:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up the lake this morning feeding the ducks , and as you stated the geese flew over the barrier, personally cannot see it being effective however time will tell
Go to Top of Page

Bird man

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  15:41:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take a look at Slimbridge they won't let you feed anything other than approved feed ! Some people do know better!

J Hargreaves
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  17:54:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was up there on Sunday and I think the fence looks awful. It spoils the whole look of that side of the pond I think. People will still feed the ducks regardless. I myself loved taking my own children when they were little and there were toddlers up there Sunday feeding them and having a lovely time with their families. The duck Population does not seem to have been harmed by generations of bread feeding.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  21:17:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your right Fizz but they do prefer Hovis half and half.
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  21:24:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

Your right Fizz but they do prefer Hovis half and half.

Blooming heck they've got expensive taste. Its a Tesco value or nowt from me. No wonder they swim the other way when they see me coming, they recognise the bag. I can hear um now. 'oh here comes the crazy woman with the value bread. Lets wait for Butch and his Hovis".
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2014 :  23:18:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fizz, you really made me laugh with your comment, but, i have been upstaged, the ducks totally ignored me today,there was someone up there today feeding them freshly baked Lidles rolls. Now we can't top that, lol.
Go to Top of Page

rule34
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
185 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  09:31:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fence looks a real eyesore and bungling council/park officials obviously forgot that waterfowl have wings.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  09:44:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told this morning that the big wigs up the park have been listening to peoples complaints about the amount of poo that the geese deposit on the picnic areas, and are going to try and entice the geese to use the land on the other side of the lake for jhand feeding (with correct feed) and that they will start the feeding process themselves.however I have no way of knowing if this is factual
Go to Top of Page

mrbigbeak
Advanced Member

222 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  13:40:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a message from the council on facebook regarding this matter...
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  14:30:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, this is what they said:

"The fencing is part of the recommendations from a report we had done last year by a consultant to deter the Canadian Geese from landing on the grassed areas used by the public.

Following complaints last year in regards to geese faeces on the paths and the grassed areas being turned into mud baths making them unusable by the public. In order to try and solve this issue BGCBC employed a consultant who submitted a report with in the report he outlined a strategy which we are now imposing to try and alleviate similar problems this year"

Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2014 :  12:07:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by darole

I was up the lake this morning feeding the ducks , and as you stated the geese flew over the barrier, personally cannot see it being effective however time will tell

Hi Darole,
I,ve had a butchers at the fence, what a joke , the geese can get under or over it , a compleat waste of money, public money at that,
even if they covered the whole spanse of water ,the geese would just land next to it , i,ts what geese do and Always have done no consultation on this planet will change that,
hope you are well by the way,
dutchjohn

p.s
the only good that fence is that it prevents young children running into the water, but that is a safety factor that should have been taken into concideration anyway, d,j

Edited by - dutchjohn on 20/03/2014 12:10:55
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  09:31:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that taking action to keep the geese off the path up the lake is a positive step forward, and will be lot safer for the birds, but I'm not sure the fence is suitable for the job.

It is a standard crowd control fence, and the gap at the bottom is simply too big,

Picture taken the other day up the park. I seen the geese get on the grass by passing under the fence.

The second picture shows the gap at the bottom of the fence, you can see the gap in proportion to the people standing by the side of it. It is a lot wider in some parts due to the uneven ground.

Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  10:19:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh they are limbo geese!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13895 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2014 :  11:00:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uncle bob

Oh they are limbo geese!

Aye, think you might have it there UB

Go to Top of Page

peterpan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2014 :  20:30:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a knee reaction to a councillor complaining about bird poo. Its a wildlife park not a public park. Its like saying " if it was not for the sand i would love the beach" Erecting a very expensive fence is silly and dumb. Move the picnic site , advise public to wear boots Water+countryside =birds Birds +People = bread + Poo What do people expect
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  09:12:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by mrbigbeak

there is a message from the council on facebook regarding this matter...
[/quote
Why engage Consultants at considerable cost for such a matter.?They are paid high salaries to sort out such problems. Didn't anyone in the office have the common sense to realise that geese have wings - the things attached to their sides which enables them to fly .God,there is no hope.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  12:57:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot on keanjo, but don't blame the consultant nobody told them geese could fly
Go to Top of Page

Bird man

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  18:08:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed whirlst walking around the Parc last night the fence is doing its job and moving MOST of the birds to the far side of the lake thus keeping them of the grass! Well done BBP staff

J Hargreaves
Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  14:20:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The barrier around that section of the lake looks terrible & is a bit of an eyesore just when Bryn Bach is approaching the peak visitor season. It would be better suited to crowd control not wildlife control.

Edited by - Davey81 on 05/04/2014 14:22:10
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2618 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  17:14:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The barrier around the lake not only looks unsightly it is also unsafe quite a few of the barriers have been unlinked and are not on level ground.

Go to Top of Page

Laura1984

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2014 :  23:55:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The barrier looks awful I was taking a walk when it was being erected silly idea. I personally have a problem with the pain that is the Canadian geese they hiss and snarl at you especially when they have new limitless off springs. The poo is a big problem my daughter finds it difficult riding bike or skates as they are always in the way
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.