Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2014 :  09:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great photo of the town.

Gareth
Advanced Member

672 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2014 :  11:52:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is indeed a good photo - I can identify lots of still existing buildings, but I'm puzzled at the two rows of houses in the foreground. It should be the row which I remember as "transport" but in my memory there was only one row of houses with a wall on the other side of the road, Looking at this photo I assume the road runs between the two rows of houses ? would the photograph have been taken from York Terrace ? anyone got any ideas ?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2014 :  14:52:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It is indeed a wonderful old picture of Tredegar.

At the top left can be seen No 8 pit and to the right can be seen the Deighton Iron Works.

Shop Row and all the other features I can remember as a boy.

The two row of houses (transport) as I too, remember it is a puzzler.

My thought are that one of the row of houses were demolished to make way for the road that we remember.

I should think that the photograph was taken from Victoria Terrace.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  09:30:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My take is that the camera was slightly further north.
The two rows are Edwards and Alexandra..
If you think of the extreme right of the houses then they must be at Georgetown Hill.
If that is so then Georgetown was still being built.
But a great photo
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  09:58:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father took a several shots back in 1990 from about that location (the piggy, behind Mafeking Tce) which I later found and stitched back together. The full shot can be seen here.

I have taken a cut of the photo (not the best quality), and you placed it below the 1909 picture for you. 81 years "gap"

Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

672 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  10:44:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think milkman is on the right track - but looking at the 1873 map of Tredegar, Georgetown as we know it, is already built, so could the date of the photo be wrong ? I cant reconcile to the fairly large space directly in the foreground.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  15:13:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of Mafeking came later. It was built in two stages. My grandfather bought No 30 mafeking from Dai Bowen around 1902. I have the old bills somewhere. My father was born there in 1904.

Therefore the old photograph could have been taken before 1909 from the Mountain above the extension to Mafeking in the 1900's

Still a puzzler?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  15:53:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry but the pit at the top of the picture was No.7 pit - the deepest water balance pit in Britain, at that time.

I'll try and find out when No. 7 pit was closed, as it supplied most of the coal for the Deighton Ironworks.

The coal line ran through the now Castle hotel nearly to Park Place.

See old photo on this web site.

You could well be right Milkman. The photo might be very early and as you say Georgetown Hill might not have been built when the photo was taken
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  16:10:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eureka !!!!!!!!

I've managed to find the following information.

The Pit at the top of the photograph was No 7 Pit - Mountain Colliery.

It was sunk in 1841 and was the the deepest Water balance pit in Britain having a shaft depth of 630 feet and the shaft diameter of 10 feet.

In 1888 it was working a seam of Engine Coal of 45 inches, The yard seam of 26 inches and The Old Coal seam of 37 inches.

The pit closed in 1897 and only employed 7 men doing surface work in 1900.

Coming back to the old photo to my mind it must have been earlier than 1909 as the pit seems to be working.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.53 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.