Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  10:38:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See news item for July 29th 2007 for main story.
Please use this thread to post comments on the story.

Thanks for Brian for bring this to every bodies attention.

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  14:20:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been up to see the cholera cemetary a couple of times and it is disgraceful the condition it is in. i don't think the council will care too much, same as the clock.

sean
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  17:03:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was surprised to hear most people didn't know about the place? Hope folk do- I remember being told about it as far back as primary school- I visited the site a while ago- some very sad inscriptions- but what is even sadder are those whose inscriptions are no longer readable or incomplete.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  17:47:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is another thing the council hopes will fade away and people will not notice.I had no idea that the cemetary was proteced by law.
Go to Top of Page

Bubbles

31 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  20:01:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the primary schools teach about it now and most of them includea visit. Hopefully the next generation of adults will now about it.
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2007 :  23:06:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out Sirhowy lads site, a bundle of information

http://www.geocities.com/jenks436/cholera.html
Go to Top of Page

ohaganfamily@bigpond.com

Australia
122 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  03:47:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, do you have a link for the story, please? I was up there in 2005 and was appalled that such an important part of our history is disappearing. I did get in touch with the Council....... but had no reply. This is a site that should be preserved. It's probably too late now to rescue many of the stones as they have eroded beyond recognition. I assume the National Museum of Wales is aware of this site, couldn't they bring some pressure to bear? What about CADW?

annette o'hagan
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  09:34:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad to read what's left of the inscriptions:- http://www.cefnpennar.com/tredegar/cefngolau.htm

BGCBC doing their bit:- http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/8025.asp

Complain?:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/UserComplaint?h2g2ID=12787419
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2007 :  14:59:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if they could put a fence around it similer to the old iron one that used to be there only with a few more struts to detere the animals.
One thing i dont think is needed there is a wall it would just change the landscape.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  13:55:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TARKUS

It would be nice if they could put a fence around it similer to the old iron one that used to be there only with a few more struts to detere the animals.
One thing i dont think is needed there is a wall it would just change the landscape.

I visited the cholera cemetery on Sunday afternoon, yes it has become dilapidated over the years, but that is now part of the cemetery's history. A wrought iron perimeter fence similar to the original would suffice, and perhaps a plaque. I see no point in restoring the cemetery to it's "original" condition, but it would be great if it could be preserved to help prevent any further deterioration.
On another note, I also visited the farmhouse next to the pond, and was dismayed to find that it has been destroyed by the mindless chav scum of Cefn Golau. I fear if the cholera cemetery is preserved, then it too may be targeted by vandalism.

Edited by - Chris on 01/08/2007 13:56:07
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  20:49:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know it was the mindless chav scum from Cefn Golau who destroyed it, or are you jumping to conclusions
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  03:04:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

How do you know it was the mindless chav scum from Cefn Golau who destroyed it, or are you jumping to conclusions

On Sunday, there were a gang of youths hanging around the farmhouse, throwing bricks and breaking the roof slates. Now unless they are doing "vandalism excursions" nowadays, these youths were most likely have come from the nearest housing estate, which is Cefn Golau.
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  07:06:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy that, the kids may have been from aany part of Tredegar.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  12:56:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

I don't buy that, the kids may have been from aany part of Tredegar.

But also a 90% probability that they were from Cefn Golau.
This was late evening, so I doubt they had walked far.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2007 :  14:20:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
kids these days dont go far unless mammy or daddy take them in the car so your probably right
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2007 :  21:54:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The article is now on-line at:-

http://www.thisisgwent.co.uk/display.var.1596414.0.death_in_the_time_of_cholera.php

Thanks to Brian for the link.

www.Bath-in-a-field.co.uk
www.Gamesroom-online.co.uk
www.Tredegar.co.uk
www.Tredegar.co.uk/techboard

"I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk - alcoholics go to meetings"
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2007 :  21:31:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have E mailed Blaenau Gwent Council on numerous occasions about the condition of the site and have been informed that the E mail has been passed to the relevant person. The relevant person, whoever he/she is has not had the manners to reply.
I have E mailed CADW tonight asking them to intervene. After all it is an Ancient Monument, protected by Law
We can but hope that some progress will now happen.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  02:25:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work, Bryan.
I think the ill-mannered, 'relevant-person' you speak of also looks after The Clock.
Keep up the good fight.
Someone, somewhere, someday must listen to The Towns concerns.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2007 :  14:49:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I E mailed CADW and Blaenau Gwent again I have had two replies from Gwent and CADW.
Blaenau Gwent:
At present we are unable to erect a fence around the cemetery, due to financial restrictions. To my knowledge no vandalism has taken place at the cholera site in recent years. Any problems please ring me on 01495-3555843.
Thanks
Paul Hayden

From CADW:
Mr. Rendell thank you for your e mail. I was sorry to read of your experience with contacting your local authority.
You do not say with whom you have been trying to engage in the authority but the best approach would be to contact the council's Heritage Officer Frank Olding. Frank's contact details are:
Heritage Section
Anvil Court
Church Street
Abertillery

01495-355972

frank.olding@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

I hope this is helpful. There are grants available from CADW for the conservation of ancient monuments and we should be glad to work with the owner if a suitable scheme can be devised.

I hope this is helpful.

Laurence Burr
Designations Section
01443-336056

Note: from Bryan Rendell - perhaps he might be contacted about the Town Clock!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  16:10:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
29th. August, 2007.

[b]Great News.

I have received the following E mail today from Mr. Frank Olding.

You may not be aware that the Cholera Cemetery is owned by Tredegar Rural Estates (based in Newport) and is not owned or managed by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council. It is also a legally protected scheduled ancient monument and any works(including the erection of a fence) will require scheduled monument consent from Cadw.

Despite the fact that the Council is not the owner and has no legal responsibility for the site, we have made efforts to secure its preservation. The site is included in a funding bid currently being considered by the Heritage Lottery fund for heritage projects in the Sirhowy Valley. If the bid is successful, a new fence and some discreet interpretation will be put up and repairs carried out to the stones themselves. If the bid is not successful, we have also included the cemetery in another bid for funding from the European Union. Hopefully, one or other will result in our securing funding for works at the cemetery.

I share your evident concern and frustration with the condition of the cemetery. However, it is important to stress that responsibility for the maintenance of the site lies squarely with the owners, not this authority. having said that, of course, I am hopeful that we will be able to contribute to the preservation of the site as I have outlined above.

If I can be of any further assistance, or if you would like to discuss these matters further, please do not hesitate to contact me on 07971 081647

Frank Olding.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2007 :  17:09:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is a result!
Nice one Bryan :-)

I wonder what else "Tredegar Rural Estates" ownes ?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2007 :  18:57:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have contacted Frank Olding and he has given me the name and address of Tredegar Rural Estates.

Tredegar Rural Estates
R.E Phillips and Partners
23a Gold Tops
Newport
NP20 4UL

I have written a letter to R.E. Phillips asking them what other properties they own in Tredegar.

As soon as I get a reply I will post the information.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2007 :  20:09:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work Bryan :-)
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  15:45:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre,

R.E. Phillips state that a list of their clients holdings is not available. So we still don't know what Tredegar Rural Estates own.

I have received a letter today from R.E. Phillips asking me:

If I have checked the registered boundry of Bedwellty Common?

also

Is the cemetery within the area over which there are commoners who can exercise Common Rights?

I have written off to Gwent Records Office re: above and as soon as I get replies I will contact R.E. Phillips and post the answers.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:06:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

Common rights on this type of land (as I understand it) normally extend only to a right of air and exercise on foot or horse. Access to the site is over such command land as far as I’m aware. Not sure about the actual site that the Cemetery is on, but I thought Tredegar Rural Estate owns it?

Not sure on the actually boundary of the common

I’ve taken some more photos of the Cemetery in respect of its position on the common and to the other Cemetery. I will post this soon.

Hope that helps.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

clive

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2007 :  10:39:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heard about the cemetery when I first arrived in Tredegar 5 years ago and went to give it a visit but was totally put back because of what I saw. For a monument it was a complete mess with sheep rubbing their arses up against the headstones.

To erect a fence around the graves to protect them will not require”scheduled monument consent from Cadw". A fence can be erected on the surrounding land that is not part of the monument but part of the common. Even if it is a Temp fence it will help to keep animals as well as vandals from causing further damage.

To me this monuments is important as it reflects the conditions people were forced to live and work in and is just as an important part of Tredegars history as the town clock or the old iron works

It seems to me that the owners of the monument just don't care about the site nor what it means to many residents old and new. Not much of Tredegars history is left standing today and what there is should be preserved for future generations to look upon and reflect, it will help them understand the suffering of the lower working classes of that time and the hardship they endured.
I take my hat of to you Brian for your efforts and would gladly help in anyway I can in helping to save the cholera cemetery.

What I would like to see is one Stone monument with all the names on it of all the people buried there and a fence around it. I would gladly lay flowers at the site if I were to know that the cows or sheep would not eat them.

quote:
Thanks for Brian for bring this to every bodies attention
nicely chosen word pierre :)
Brian please keep us updated on all developments on this, TY. :)

Clive
www.griffin-internet-computing.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.