Tredegarís Cholera Cemetery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  08:42:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me? Having seen the Gwent Gazette article about the cemetery it reads as though Blaenau Gwent Council get all the credit for everything? They described it as a project? Well I think Bryan is the one they should be patting on the back not themselves! Just my thoughts....
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  09:37:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Cae and Pierre for your comments.

I'm very pleased that the work is finalized and if the powers to be want to take all the accolades, so be it. B.G. had been thinking about doing something - I was the spur that egged them on.

This morning I have E mailed CADW asking them to record the stones and fill in the spaces that have been dug out by horses and sheep etc. also, if possible to put in place some of the stones which are lying flat and record any inscriptions that are on them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  09:56:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I knew you'd be very modest about things Bryan! But no- in this case- the praise should go to you- I believe in credit where it's due. So again- well done that man!
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2008 :  12:16:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hats off Bryan.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2008 :  22:20:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cholera Cemetery link is now updated, which includes pictures sent in by Bryan.

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/cholera/

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  19:37:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the letters page of the Gwent Gazzette dated Thursday 7th August 2008

Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  19:58:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yey! Nice one!

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  15:58:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have received the below message from Florent Herremans who lives in Belgium....

It is nice to know this beautiful place is finally protected.

We are from Belgium and visited this place several times.

It always gave us mixed emotions coming here. The view is breathtaking. The cemetery brings you in an instant 150 years back .The horses coming to have a drink in the pond.

But it shocked us as well that nothing was done to take care of this place. A historic monument colonized by sheep. And also in the pond and around: lots of litter. We as tourists were lucky that our family knew of this place. Because nowhere you could see a sign to this pond and cemetery. And it is certainly worth a visit.

Good work Bryan to make local people realise the importance of this. If you sit on a diamond, you can forget how special it is.

bye Hilde
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  12:42:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tredegar Cholera Cemetery.

I'm still busy trying to get the stones recorded and in some cases erected, due to the damage that the cattle have done to them over the years.

This is an E mail sent to CADW and reply received today:

Thank you for letting us know about the completion of this scheme and the service. This should be a helpful scheme in protecting the cemetery from damage.

Cadw is not in a position to carry out works directly to the monument. However, we would be happy to consider supporting a conservation project with grant, normally at 50% of the total cost, although we can pay up to 100% when appropriate. If you use volunteers to carry out the work, the value of this in-kind labour would be regarded as match-funding. Possibly this is something that Frank Olding may be able to help with getting underway. If you would like me to send you an application form, please let me know.

Similarly, we would not be the right body to carry out the recording. However, the cost of this could form part of the grant application. Alternatively, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales is the body charged with recording the historic environment of Wales. If they have not already made a record of the stones, they may well be interested in carrying such work out. They can be contacted via their website at http://www.rcahmw.gov.uk/HI/ENG/Home/
Richard W Kevern
Gweinyddu Henebion, Cadw / Ancient Monuments Administration, Cadw
Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru / Welsh Assembly Government
Llinell Uniongyrchol / Direct Line 01443 336098
P Helpwch yr amgylchedd - peidiwch ag argraffu hon os nad oes gwir raid
Help our environment - only print this if really necessary.

-----Original Message-----
From: rendell73@talktalk.net [mailto:rendell73@talktalk.net]
Sent: 09 September 2008 15:33
To: Burr, Laurence (DH - CADW); Kevern, Richard (DH - CADW)
Subject: Tredegar Cholera Cemetery

Please see attached photographs of the fencing around the cemetery and Service of Commemoration.

Would it now be possible for CADW to record and erect some of the fallen stones.

I would appreciate your comments.

Bryan Rendell
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2008 :  13:15:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent a copy of E mail to Mr. Frank Olding:

See his immediate reply:

The responsibility for any further work to the cemetery lies squarely with the owners, I'm afraid. We have now spent the funding we secured from Europe on the project we undertook to do.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  00:47:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the Council coughing up a few quid? Are there any other organisations that can be approached? Is there anything WE can do, it doesn't seem right to leave it all with Brian after all the effort he's already put in?
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2008 :  07:33:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be worth applying for a Lottery Heritage Grant? http://www.hlf.org.uk/English/HowToApply/OurGrantGivingProgrammes/AwardsForAll/
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2008 :  22:15:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article on the Cholera Cemetery appears in the Blaenau Gwent Council magazine, Connect.

To see the article, please click here

Copyright remains with BGBCC.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  20:24:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

We have received a photo of the Cholera Cemetery taken a few days ago by Bryan. All looks good, and the fence and plaque still in place, well done all....

Now with the fence in place, the natural grass cutters (id, Dia's sheep), are no longer keeping the grass in control (see the picture below).

Any thought people ?

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  21:40:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about someone who is on community service cutting the grass
There must be enough of them to allocate a regular team to do it.

Val

Go to Top of Page

bodi

25 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2009 :  17:33:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i visit tredegar every 3to4 weeks visiting my brother, when we were both agile & could walk over to the Cholera Cemetery, it was a sad sight so neglected, but now after Bryans hard work theres a nice fence around the site so Bryan thank you for all you have done, it would be very fitting to have all the names on one large stone,I maybe speaking out of turn, but it would be great if the track leading to the cemetery could be leveled or the pot holes filled in, as age has caught up with us,& its impossible to walk or drive over the track as it is now,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.