New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  17:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive just been for a walk down the park and the ponds are in an awful state. All four of them have beer tins, flagons and takeaway cartons thrown in them. It looked awful. Such a shame after all the improvements that were made.

butch

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  18:41:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ponds are so green with algae, I thought they had been grassed over. When I mentioned this to a Town Councillor a few weeks ago I was told that they were waiting for the pumps to be repaired,well, it would seem they have been waiting all summer, because the fountains haven't been working either.
What is that telling visitors, that once again our lovely park is being thrown into disrepair, and being taken over once more by by the youngsters boozing, and smashing their beer bottles everwhere. Where Is the security gone that we were promised after the 5.7m was spent on the refurbishment, it seems to be becoming a waste of time, hard work, and money.
We in Tredegar, pay the highest council tax in Wales,indeed, in the country. A portion of this goes to our local council, who then give lots of small,and not so small grants to local organisations, many of them don't even need these grantS as they are self funding. Would it not be more prudent to use this money to maintain our park and local amenities, where it would benefit the people of tredegar, and therefore be a nicer place for visitors to come to.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2469 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  19:38:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi butch ref your question "where is the security gone that we were promised after the 5.7m was spent on the refurbishment "

Again we the people of Tredegar have been duped with yet another empty promise from our totally trustworthy councillors.

Another one to remember come election time.
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  20:12:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wish I'd had my camera on me and I would have posted pictures. They did look absolutely disgusting.
Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  20:35:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,I did take a few Pic`s a few weeks ago,

These was all of the top pond :(

If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  21:18:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep that's how they looked except they had bottles and cans strewn all over them as well. sad to see.
Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  22:11:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The park ponds look and smell awful at the moment and resemble a swamp with the surface being covered in that stagnant green algae there will be no chance of seeing ducks or swans there anytime soon.

I can never remember seeing the duck ponds in this state before the refurbishment to the park was carried out.

Also the gate to the lump of coal exhibition has been closed and chained up for some time now because of a broken hinge. Such a sad sight to see parts of the park falling into disrepair despite millions being spent there just a few years ago that lets down what is a beautiful park and should be an asset to the town of Tredegar.
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1047 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2014 :  22:35:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why are the pics deleted?
Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2014 :  16:23:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
opps sorry it was my fault the pics got deleted i moved them after i posted the link.

Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1047 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2014 :  21:38:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Mike! Not that I really liked looking at that disgusting mess!Probably aliens in here somewhere! What a terrible indictment on those responsible for the park.
Go to Top of Page

Moses

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2014 :  11:18:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agree with everyone,ventured down to park this morning,the 1st time for awhile and was both appalled and disgusted with the state of the ponds.I saw 6 gardners/workmen doing "easy" work such as blowing leaves off paths and tending to flower beds yet no one was anywhere near the ponds,there were finches and wagtails around the top pond and I am sure that if the ponds were cleaned there would be a lot more there.Why on earth would you spend so much time effort and money to renovate these ponds and then not maintain them.
Go to Top of Page

mrbigbeak
Advanced Member

218 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2014 :  11:58:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is still security around unfortunately though it is split between Bedwellty and Bryn Bach Park...
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2014 :  19:05:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrbigbeak

there is still security around unfortunately though it is split between Bedwellty and Bryn Bach Park...

Why dont burke and hare dwell there for a while.Or are there
not enough soft targets there for them to pounce on?

Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  18:53:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to let you know the ponds have not yet had anything done or been cleaned as I have just been for a walk and taken a few more pictures of all the ponds and a few of the fountain.

This Fence have been broken for a few weeks, since I last took Pictures!!

not only did they look terrible the stench was bad to!!!.

Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2430 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  19:29:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would almost pay for cleanup if those cans in photograph were recycled ?
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  21:36:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was down the park this afternoon, and noticed that the gates to the lump of coal were locked. The one gate was chained up. It was then I noticed that the top hinge was broken, and the gate is hanging at an askew angle. I am no expert, but I would have thought that gates that big and heavy, needs something more sturdy, than just three flimsy hinges. I hope there's a guarantee on on them, they were only erected three Years ago, that's if anyone can be bothered to chase it up.
Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  21:50:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot see these repairs being carried out in the near future with the budget cuts at BGCBC. Hopefully more funding will now be available with the park being managed by the Life Leisure Trust.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13506 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  21:57:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the 1st of October 2014, Bedwellty park is run by the new trust. So, the council can now simply point the finger at them !

Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2014 :  19:58:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it`s now the 19th Oct, I last took pictures on the 6th Oct and still nothing as been done to clean up the ponds still the same cans` bottles & empty cartons there :(

Looks like the gate as not been fixed ether

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13506 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2014 :  20:37:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shocking !

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13506 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2014 :  21:18:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have posted a picture on the new Trusts Facebook page and asked for an update.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2014 :  22:59:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you Pierre, we await their reply with bated breath.
I love a good pass the buck story.
There must be some sort of guarantee on workmanship, and materials used on a 5.7m project.
The people that worked so hard to get the funding for the project must be feeling really let down, seeing all their hard work going to the dogs, just like every thing else in Tredegar.
Just a pipe dream, but is it possible to divorce B.G. and go back to Tredegar U.D.C.? Well, I can dream can't I.?
Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2014 :  18:47:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes thank You Pierre,like butch Says you would think there is some sort of Guarantee if you spend 5.7m ,I`m no welder but i think maybe a hour`s work would fix that gate?. I for one can`t get my head around what they done with 5.7m mind.

Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2014 :  09:34:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is almost certain that if these problems were in Ebbw Vale funding would have been made available and the repairs would have been carried out in a matter of weeks!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13506 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2014 :  19:56:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have received the following answer from the trust:

Thank you everyone for your queries on the ponds at Bedwellty Park, we are very keen to restore them to their former glory and are currently working with agencies including Welsh Water and Environmental Health to achieve this. We will keep you updated with our progress many thanks

Go to Top of Page

Mike157

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2018 :  19:44:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted a few Pics of the Bedwellty park back in 2014, what a state they was in , gusse what its now 2018 and i got some more photo`s just as bad as the old ones :(

Dosen`t look like there is going to be anything done to clean them up :(

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.