New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  08:53:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More thanks to Glyn for this picture of Troed, taken around 1986 to 1988.

To see more of Glyns work, please visit www.tredegar.co.uk/glynbennett

hawkeye
Advanced Member

321 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  11:48:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another great image from Glyn. Note the way the top part of the large field (now owned by Dai Halfway I think) is divided at its top half into strips/plots. What would have been the reason for this? Perhaps allotments back in the 1940's? Anyone with suggestions or memories?
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  19:55:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I remember them as allotments .St David's Church,one of the tin tabernacles ,was on the left,I believe .I can remember the church bell ringing as I walked to chapel in Bedwellty Pits with my mother and sister
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1972 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  23:58:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be mistaken, but, I think that is where the lower row of houses stood. They were demolished some time before many of the top row were knocked down. The lower row was much shorter than the top row.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  00:17:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I clearly recall the lower row. A Mr and Mrs Burr kept a shop there and I visited their shop many times.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

hawkeye
Advanced Member

321 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  12:06:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lower row is to the right of the photo and out of view. A lot of rubble from these houses is still there today. Correct they were demolished a long time before the others. Sometime around 1979 I think. I can remember them being there one day and gone the next when I went to the Farm for my 'sneaky' pint when walking the dog.
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  18:23:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lower row was used for the filming of District Nurse with Nerys Hughes who was also in the Liver Birds
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  18:26:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't they burn down the school in one of the episodes?
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

673 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2014 :  20:03:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The school did burn down - but not in District Nurse. It was allegedly being used as a storage facility for antiques when it burned down.
One can only wonder at the cause of the fire ! ! !
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13902 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  08:41:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Polo6 for this photo of the school after the fire !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.