New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13599 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outrage as picture shows recyclables separated by residents then 'mixed together' at Blaenau Gwent council depot
Source: SouthWalesArgus

THERE has been outrage in Blaenau Gwent after a photo emerged on Facebook seemingly showing recyclables being mixed together.

The photo, allegedly of the council’s recycling depot, was posted on the Facebook group, Abertillery Past and Present.

Blaenau Gwent residents divide recyclables into two separate bags: contaminated recyclables, including cans, glass, bottles, and juice cartons, which are put in blue bags; and non-contaminated recyclables, including paper and cardboard, which are put in clear bags.

The council collects these bags together, but they are then unloaded and separated again once they reach the depot.

Mark Edwards, former councillor for Cwmtillery between 2008-2012, saw the photo on the Facebook group and said he was not surprised by it.

He said: “People have been appalled by it all on the Abertillery Past and Present group.

“The people of Blaenau Gwent are easygoing and compliant: if they’re told to do something, they’ll do the right thing – whether it’s recycling targets or whatever else. But they’ve been doing something that they didn’t actually need to do.

“It’s not politically motivated on my part: I’m out of politics now. It’s laziness on the administration’s part and I’m not surprised.

“It’s wasting people’s time and everyone has enough to do as it is.”

One comment on the Abertillery Past and Present group, said: “Why should I waste my time putting things in different bags when they go in the same lorry?”

Another read: “Wouldn’t it be cheaper to give somebody the job of separating the recycling in house. They have enough buildings to use.”

A spokeswoman for Blaenau Gwent said: “Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council operates a co-mingled recycling collection where all recyclables are put into one compartment on the lorry before being taken to a materials recovery facility (MRF) and sorted.

“To get the best quality paper, it needs to be kept as dry as possible, for as long as possible.

“If we asked residents to put their paper with cans, tins and glass bottles it increases the risk of the paper and card being contaminated by liquid and food.

“At the MRF, all the mixed recycling is sorted and separated into different types of materials by hand or machine (or both) before being sent to manufacturers who make it into new products.”

darole

United Kingdom
2505 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  16:56:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they expect us to believe that recycling of household is actually achieving anything, are we the tax payers getting anything worthwhile from our efforts to sort our waste??
Yet again another idea from our leaders that has been mismanaged, why am I surprised should have expected it
Go to Top of Page

carol mary
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
362 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  17:33:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a disgusting mess.. I have always separated my recycling into the correct bags or bins.. a few year ago as I live at the top of the street the recycle operatives would collect all the neighbours bags and place them outside my gate for one stopping point for the truck.. some neighbours put mixed items in their bags which then we're left outside my gate. On phoning BGCC to explain it wasn't my mess and I don't see the point in segregating as its all thrown in one truck, I was assured it was segregated at the depot.. clearly a cock and bull tale
Go to Top of Page

Billhooks

14 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  22:24:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recycling has never been segregated at a BGCBC Depot. When Tidy Trev were collecting recycling it was sorted as it went into the lorry. BG collect it in one truck take it to Silent Valley where its tipped off loaded into large trucks and moved on.

The Welsh Office have insisted for a few years now that it needs to be sorted at the roadside so the change is due very soon. New boxes/bags, hold ups in the streets as the trucks are stopped for longer. All in one truck is better for the loaders, sorting as you load can be disgusting when items are put out not washed and half full of food which has been left for a week and you have to put your hands in it and then you get water in it which splashes up into your face. It's bad enough collecting the food waste but at least this is emptied straight into the truck.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2505 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  11:42:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is what we get for having one of the highest rates in Wales a rubbish waste disposal service

Yet again we have been misled, however I would like to know where the waste is moved onto ????
Go to Top of Page

Panda

Germany
871 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  14:44:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't surprise me at all that this happens.
Here we have a nice system whereby each bin is collected at a different date, no mixing.

Bins from L to R: biodegradable, residual/solid, paper/cardboard, plastic packaging)
The letters in each colour represents an area in the borough where they will collect on that day :)

Edited by - Panda on 23/02/2015 14:46:00
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  18:30:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is disgusting really. Blaenau Gwent has spent thousands and thousands of OUR pounds on separate recycling bins, bags, tubs and what for! To give the illusion that their recycling is being done properly is the only reason I can think. Well that's one illusion shattered then (amongst many others concerning our council). I have a sister in law who lives near Kings Lynn and she could not believe the amount of council tax we have to pay here but also that we have such poor amenities for doing so! Well I'm sick of my recycling bags cluttering up the place so from now I wont bother.
Go to Top of Page

Panda

Germany
871 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  20:04:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's also a shame that the Wales (UK in general) doesn't have deposits (called Pfand in Germany) on their bottles and such.
You pay a little extra for your drinks such as alcohol, pop, juice and what not then you recycle it back at any supermarket and get a voucher to spend at your next shopping. I believe it's 8 cents for beer bottles and 25 cents for plastic and some cans and 3,30€ for a crate of empty beer or other bottles. Even if you litter your bottles, you'll always get people picking it up to claim it for themselves.

If only Wales were that forward thinking.
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  20:22:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We used to have that on glass bottles years ago Panda. I can't remember what you used to get back but it went on for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Billhooks

14 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  21:41:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that all the changes up to now have been funded by the Welsh Office and the proposed changes will be.
I also believe new trucks are on there way which will be interesting as most of the trucks they use in the cities are not suitable for around here due to the hills and narrow streets. Oh joy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.71 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.