New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  14:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Dalex for this photo from the Grammer School in the 1950's. This picture is of the Prize Giving Ceremony.

Names please anybody :o)

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  19:15:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teachers-Ena Williams,Miss James,history,Miss Lewis,Latin.lots of pupils names Raymond munckley Lionel Herbert Victor Spears,Philip White,both now passed away John,shaffer,Evans retired dentist,Brian Summers Gabriel carpaninni cafe owner in Cardiff Keith Prosser behind the lady with the hat,who later taught in the school
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  20:31:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently 1952 ?
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  22:21:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In recognise Paul Isles, Paul Morgan, Brian Nelmes ( passed away),
Brian Baxter, Tom Jenkins, Basil Price

I can recognise many more but this was the year I was called up for National Service in 1952 and my memory fails me.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  14:54:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The expression on the young girl on the left of the photo is priceless!
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  20:06:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hasn't anyone spotted Dalex?
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  20:59:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see Francis Hoar on the end behind the teacher next to the boy with glasses. Robert Lewis just in front next to teacher,Clifford Morgan with the big smile between Monica Sullivan and Mary ? By the side of Ena.
Dalex said he was behind the girls is he behind Mary ? And Thelma or next over?
Next to Ena is Meryl Morris and Marilyn Gregory.
What is Dalex name as the ones I have mentioned were in my form.
Margaret
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

672 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  23:17:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice Don Davies (Dalex?) sat next to Cliff Morgan and I think the lad next to him was named Keith Jones but I'm not sure, Roger Giles is sat behind Keith Prosser, the lad sat next to miss James had the nickname 'Trog'?. At the back I can see Brian Whipp, and at the side against the wallbars is Paul Wood. On Brian Baxer's left with his head held back in a grin is perhaps John Lee.
Thats all I can add, quite sad that a number of these ex pupils have passed on.
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2015 :  23:49:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boy with hand on chin next to my old mate Francis Hoare is Derek Southall who passed away recently. Barry Thomas (aka Trog) is next to Miss James.John "Shaffer" Evans behind Don Davies and Cedric Jones to his left. Basil Price is behind Gabriel Carpanini and Lewis Owen behind him with Alan Fox and Alan Price and Paul Morgan to his right. Dennis Evans my house (Mynwy) & table captain is top right corner just in the picture. The lady behind Derek Southall & Francis Hoare is Mrs Davies wife of headmaster D.J. Davies. David Chard is just behind Brian Whip to his right. Names of others will come to me eventually.
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  07:02:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dalex or is it Don? Last time I saw Don Evans was when I was attending a neighbours funeral at the chapel by Ladies Row over 10 years ago Son was standing on the gate with I believe his dad.
The photo you posted has certainly had my brain working trying to remember names and bringing back good memories of school days. I myself was in Mynwy.
There are a lot of faces of the older boys I recognise that have already been mentioned but isn't that Idwal Sheen (ex brompton) behind Paul by the wall bars?. Very sad news about his sister Gillian who was also in our form.
All the best Margaret (nee Thomas)
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1702 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  10:34:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mary Jones it is Margaret, she's my aunt I'll have to send her the photo and ask if she can remember any names

Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  12:10:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Margaret yes it is Idwal Sheen behind Paul Isles and just across from him is John Harris just peeking over the top of those in front and next to him is another old friend Alan Marsh now sadly long gone. Alan was a cousin of Keith Marsh who was also in our form. The chapel you refer to in Sirhowy was the Rebobeth Primitive Methodists which was opposite where my late parents lived in Ladies Row and it could have been me or my brother Frank standing on the gate that day of your neighbour's funeral. Incidentally I'm still in regular contact with another school friend of ours Glenys Williams (nee Anthony) who still lives in Sirhowy with her husband Clive.
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  14:28:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ddraig.I knew it was Mary wasn't sure of second name,I think she was family to Marlene Pendry who was a form or two above us.
Now back to Dalek. It was you with your dad as I did come across to speak to you. As you say Glenys was also in our form.If you see Glenys tell her I was asking after her as I have some photos of her and family that my son had from Terry Evans.Some taken in the willows. All the best
Margaret
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1702 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  15:04:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a relative of Marlene just a good friend as was Monica Sullivan & Maureen Topping

Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  18:56:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is such a brilliant photo that I couldn't resist trying a spot of restoration.
Dalex - If you want a high resolution restored copy just email me via this site.

Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  09:42:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KenJ

This is such a brilliant photo that I couldn't resist trying a spot of restoration.
Dalex - If you want a high resolution restored copy just email me via this site.

HIYA Kenj
great photo , is this the same grammer school from down by Sirhowy bridge tredegar ? I can remember the school , because I was at Glanhowy but every friday we had metal work classes there , but I though it was a boys only school , now why I thought that I,ve no idea ,
just go,s to show the ammount of damage old age can do faded memories, and the one,s you still have are a different texture ah well thats life for you full of unexpected supprises
have a good week
dutchjohn
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1702 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  10:58:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Grammar school was in Georgetown dutchjohn, I think you may be thinking of the Technical school which was down by Sirhowy bridge, there is sure to be a picture of them on the website

Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  19:50:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddraig

The Grammar school was in Georgetown dutchjohn, I think you may be thinking of the Technical school which was down by Sirhowy bridge, there is sure to be a picture of them on the website

H ddraig,
Thats it !! the technical school well I,ll be damned , I remember it better now , but was that an all male school ? I can,t ever remember a female at the school , but like I already said this was in the the late fifties and early sixties , and we from Glanhowy only attended on the friday afternoon for four hours of metal work , I can still see myself useing a metal file to shape pieces of metal , don,t ask why they just wanted to see if we could use a file and file to precise shape and size
seemed like a waste of time ,but there you go ,
dutchjohn
p.s thinking on about it though , all lessons are about learning no matter how trivial we may think of them at the time patience is the name of the game ,
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  22:14:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dutch John, WhenI was in Glanhowy in 1942 the Woodwork/ metalwork class was in a separate building by the top double gate. what happened to that ?
Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2015 :  22:24:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keanjo

Dutch John, WhenI was in Glanhowy in 1942 the Woodwork/ metalwork class was in a separate building by the top double gate. what happened to that ?

hi keanjo,
the building your talking about as far as I know stayed in the same place
it was placed on the right hand bottom side of the playground in the corner a small place standing alone , I left in 1960 and those days it was only for woodwork last teacher I remember there was a Mr Jones , a small chap , but a good woodwork teacher , strict , but fair , first thing I made there was a toothbrush rack , and the last thing was a kidney shaped coffee table that was french polished , it took ages to finnish but the result paid off after all that elbow work , Ive done lots of carpentry since those days but never any more french polish
dutchjohn
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2015 :  00:40:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dutch John, yep the metalwork classes were held at the back of the 'tech' the teacher was 'old Bill' (Bill James), who must have been close to retirement when I was there! The Tech boys used to go up the lane past the snooker hall to Glanhowy for woodwork classes with a teacher we use to call Herbie. I recall he had lost a couple of fingers at one time whilst he was distracted by some students, he happened to be using a circular saw at the time! 'Old Bill' used to take great delight in describing different types of files, (classified according to the number of teeth per inch) one of which he referred to as a 'Bas***d file, he always had a wry smile when he would say, 'pass me that Bas***d file'! Great days at the Tech, I wonder when they'll be knocking that building down?

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.