Tump Of stones.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2007 :  19:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pierre for the panoramic view to be seen from the Tump Of Stones. Regrettably It seems that some vandalism has occurred since the last photo of the "Tump" was shown earlier this year as many of the stones have been dislodged. I thought that given the effort of getting there and the physical work required in moving the stones that this site would never be vandalised. Clearly wishful thinking on my part.
Emrys.

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 24/06/2009 22:35:07

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2007 :  20:12:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does appear to be smaller then the photo taken at the start of the year. It is now only about 3 foot high. I've taken some pictures, and I'll upload then soon.

Looking at the picture of the bonfire, I don't think its in the same spot as the stones are now. Can anybody give any light (no pun intended...) on this ?

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2007 :  23:06:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Take a look at the picture taken above today by myself.
You can see that the ground is not flat. Could a tall bonfire be built on this exact spot?

Click below for larger image..
www.tredegar.co.uk/Pictures/tump_of_stones/IMGP1043.JPG
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2007 :  01:51:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, the ' tump of stones' looks pitiful.
Maybe someone has been stealing the stones for landscaping/gardening use.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2007 :  08:25:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris,

There does appear to be quite a scattering of stones around the main tump. Some of the stones are quite big, and with practically no road of which to speak of leading up to the tump, some body would need a 4X4 to get up to the top and to carry them off.

With quarry only a few miles away, with large lumps of stones just by the side of the road, it would have been easier for them to go for that option.

Iíll post a message on the forum next year for volunteers to help me get the moved stones back on the tump.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2007 :  18:59:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

It does appear to be smaller then the photo taken at the start of the year. It is now only about 3 foot high. I've taken some pictures, and I'll upload then soon.

Looking at the picture of the bonfire, I don't think its in the same spot as the stones are now. Can anybody give any light (no pun intended...) on this ?

perhaps the fire was built on the ordenance survey point which is about half a mile south of the stones and is flatter.Its over 1500 ft above sea level there is a concreat plynth there and the remains of an old brick building is nearbye we used to call it the red barn
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2007 :  19:30:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll check it out and take some picks the next time I'm up ye ol' tump.

Thanks,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:18:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and how the tump looks now, photo taken some 21 months from the photo above...
See Cefn Pond in the background......

Looks like somebody has been re-building it a bit ?

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  19:36:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another photo taken from the stones, looking back at the town....

What a great town.....

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  09:05:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken form a book on the subject of the town....

The Tump of Stones on the summit is said to be the remains of one of a series of secondary beacons linking the cost with the Sugar Loaf, Abergavenny, and the Brecon Beacons to summon assistance when danger threatened. The tump is 1,607 feet above see level.

As well as being a beacon, the spot is also said to be the site of an ancient cairn, and there might be something reminiscent in this in old name of Carn Stwpa.

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.