Page: of 5

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  13:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

cupcake

5403 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  13:51:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant photo ,how the town has changed

Go to Top of Page

Smythes

104 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  18:53:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Cupcake, the town has changed but not for the better, in my opinion. The names on some of these shops brings back memories of a far more prosperous town.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  18:55:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they should have never made that road one way.......

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

702 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  20:53:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great photo Pierre .and not a shutter in sight.good old days as they say.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  21:42:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first car that can be seen, Started production in 1959, I'm Curious about When F.W Woolworth Opened up next to next to Midland Bank ???
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  09:45:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelleyW

Great photo Pierre .and not a shutter in sight.good old days as they say.

That's so true Shelly. I used to love taking my baby in the pram on a Sunday afternoon first down the park and then a spot of window shopping.xx
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  10:13:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Woolworths opened in Tredegar in the 1930's next to the Midland bank. I remember they had wooden floors and low counters.
We were a bustling town then, much better than either Ebbw or Blackwood

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  12:11:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woolworths were definitely open in the early 30s, the wooden floors were polished and it really was a smart shop.
I recall the Misses Maxfield and Dulcie Harris working there. In fact it ws thought to be areally smart place to work and one had to be on-the-ball to be employed.
Next the other way was 30/- Tailors which became 50/- Tailors when prices increased, after the war.
In fact, bearing in mind the 30s depression Tred really did have good shops. Businesses clearly thought it was a good place to have outlets.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  12:47:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well on the museum site it says that woolworths went into the 1930's with 375 stores, as the Tredegar store was number 379 I'd guess at very early 1930's it was opened, I remember it was always full of people, as was all of the town.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  13:27:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Both Right! I've just read that Woolworths opened in February 1930 !
Go to Top of Page

fizz

1797 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2015 :  13:55:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the 1930's but I do remember Thoms, The sports shops, the shoe shops, both co-ops, kwik save when all the stuff just came in boxes, woolies, the numerous coal merchants both in town and down the Circle, Unique clothes shop, The roman Grill, sports shop. So many shops that you very rarely went out of town, or at least I didnt.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2015 :  20:56:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course W H Smith was opposite Woolworths; We reckoned we were lucky to have a Smiths, few Valley towns did.
But Smiths pulled out quite early; possibly before 1970.
Next to Smiths was Mr I Fine (not as bad as some mothers would have you believe). Home & colonial the other way.
Incidentally I think 50/- Tailor became- Weaver to Wearer
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2015 :  17:00:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can remember Iky Fines had an advert in the corner of the window for contraceptives.As boys we used to study it and giggle not really knowing what it was all about.Those days of innocence!
Can you remember how many grocers,apart from the Coop,there were in the 1960s and how many branches did the Coop have in Tredegar.The Tredegar Cooperative Society also had branches down the valley,I think as far as Risca
Go to Top of Page

dutchjohn

Netherlands
1363 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  11:45:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Exbrompton

I can remember Iky Fines had an advert in the corner of the window for contraceptives.As boys we used to study it and giggle not really knowing what it was all about.Those days of innocence!
Can you remember how many grocers,apart from the Coop,there were in the 1960s and how many branches did the Coop have in Tredegar.The Tredegar Cooperative Society also had branches down the valley,I think as far as Risca

Hi exbrompton,
I may be way off but I think there were two co-op shops in tredegar , one in town , and one down the tip . I seem to remember having to go down there with my twin brother , to get woodbines that were still on ration for my old man , who said don,t come back with Craven -A , it was always a long wait to get served and a long way to walk from ashvale in the winter snow , all that way for 10 woodbines , things we had to do in them days
dutchjohn
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  11:52:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Coop was mighty in the 60s.
In addition to "town" there was a shop in Southend, One opp St James church (which then moved into Rawlinson Tce).
One in the sirhowy truck shop (Armoury Stores?).
So certainly 4 and possibly 1 or 2 more
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  12:13:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

The Coop was mighty in the 60s.
In addition to "town" there was a shop in Southend, One opp St James church (which then moved into Rawlinson Tce).
One in the sirhowy truck shop (Armoury Stores?).
So certainly 4 and possibly 1 or 2 more

I counted 9 plus the bakery in Charles St, and the Dairy in Bank Lane ??
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  18:10:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the other grocers?Starting in Morgan St.,Powells,Crosswoods in the Circle,one or two in Bridge St.,Melias,Peglers,Phillips.I will leave the rest for you to remember.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  19:08:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price's in the circle and Maypole come to mind. Was the Home and Colonial, mentioned?. Also when did Carter and Kendrick close down and new store fronts added in their place.?? Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Davey81
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
417 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2015 :  21:02:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at this photograph with every shop open it really does make you realize how far down hill Tredegar has gone over the years.

The car in the photo looks like the rear end of a Ford Anglia to me and I think the lorry coming up the road is a Bedford, maybe the photograph was taken some time in the 60ís.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
2002 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2015 :  00:06:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre, sorry but this photo must have been taken in the mid 1960s Batemens Grocers did not open until 1964/5. Doug Robinson from West Hill was the first manager, and his wife also worked in the shop. Unfortunately Bateman's did not last long.
Go to Top of Page

leenie

2 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2015 :  20:57:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the Coops which traded under "The Tredegar Industrial &Provident Society" I can list many of the various shops i.e.

Grocery Shops: Pontllanfraith, Blackwood, Oakdale, Argoed, Markham, Cwmfelinfach, Pochin Crescent, James St, Central (Commercial St.), Sirhowy, Ashvale, Waundeg, Church St. (Rhymney), Beaulah St. (Rhymney) and a store in Abertysswg.

Butchers : Commercial St., Ashvale, Oakdale.

Cake Shops: Castle St.

Department Stores: Blackwood Store and Commercial St in Tredegar.

Shoe Shop: Commercial St. Tredegar (who remembers Billy Boots?)

Bakery: Charles St. Tredegar (does anyone remember the bread and milk checks?)

All the above was managed by a Managing Secretary who for many years was Mr Eddie Jones

I worked in a few of the grocery stores. There was no such thing as self service then or prepacked items. We had to bone and slice bacon, weigh butter, sugar, loose biscuitsand serve the customers behind the counter. The shop also served as a bank, cashing pay cheques for council workers, nhs workers etc.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5403 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2015 :  21:46:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello leenie and thanks for an interesting post,any more memories to share with us ? Cupcake x

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6218 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2015 :  21:48:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Leenie, And Many Welcomes, To the Tredegar Home Page !!
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2015 :  11:39:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do remember the bread and milk cheques.What about little Horace in the men's outfitters.Billy Boots sold me a new pair of shoes every Whitson ready for the turn outs.Does any one remember Miss McGrath who sat in the office of the grocery dept and checked all the books.What about the wire system to send the money to her?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2015 :  21:56:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some more-
"Daff" Williams at bottom of Union St (became Jones and Porter)
Cheaps, Melias, Home & Colonial,
Meadow, Star Supply Stores, Liptons, Phillips,
Hills, Peglers, Coop, Crosswoods, Prices
I can visualise about 3 more but cannot recall names.
Then there was Hislops (later Rudmans) in Georgetown, Amy Smiths and so on. Another Daff Williams on Park Hill, Sheltons, Barkers, Hughes, Jones in Park View
All seemed to do good business
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.