Commercial Street - 1950's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Muffin27

94 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  16:07:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Winnie McGrath in her little office so there were two branches of Coop In Commercial Road because Eddie Jones had his office in the main branch at the other end of the street.
what about Broders, Harvey's, Nuth, Perkin,s butcher shop etc
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1984 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  20:38:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the first supermarket to open in Tredegar?
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2621 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  20:42:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe it was called Elmo it was by the steps leading up to the George pub
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1984 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  21:15:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spot on Darole, It opened in 1965 I was the Butchery manager, and also doubled up as deputy store manager. They were a good firm to work for,unfortunately it was their only store in wales and it proved too far out to keep stocked. About four ships were bought out and demolished to make way for Elmo's, but the only one I can remember was Prossers the fancy goods and newsagents. Maybe some other Forum member can bring them to mind.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

693 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2015 :  21:18:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was it Fine Fare after Elmos Butch ?
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  09:25:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Prossers was a newsagent but also was good for proper toys like Hornby and Meccano. They also had the franchise to sell rail tickets.
Next to them was a small grocer, possibly Home & Colonial.
I have recalled some of the other grocers= Universal Stores, Meadow and Maypole
The big store between the Bell steps and Prosser never seemed to be in business for any length of time.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1984 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  12:58:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shelley, Elmo's had 36 stores Tredegar was the first store to be taken over by Fine Fair. I didn't like the way Fine Fair treated their staff, so I transfered to the Emos store in Bletchley. It was only a matter of about a year before fine fair took all Elmo's stores over, and I came home and started my own business, and as you know Shelley the rest is history. By the way tesco took over the fine Fair store, sacked about tenty staff and employed only 3or 4 in their home and wear store.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  20:19:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only store I can remember(and it was a big store) between the steps,(never heard of them being called Bell Steps)and Prossers was Edwards furniture shop and I believe that was there from the early 30's at least until 1955.Please correct me if I am wrong.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  10:43:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Bryan for this photo of Commercial Street.

On the left does it say "Lewis" ?

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1716 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  11:44:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like, E Lewis and underneath Family butcher Pierre, I don't remember that shop, anybody know the year?

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  16:39:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ypu are making me feel my age !!
The owner of Lewis (butcher) was Vic Jeffs, he had a daughter Topsy Jeffs
My friend Bill Lewis from Waundeg delivered his meat on a butcher-boy bike.
When Mum had given him a glass of beetroot wine to warm him on a winters day he rode far less steadily.
Unfortunately Bill died about 7 years ago. I thinkl he was walking on his favourite Trefil to Mountain Air walk when it happened. Bill was a regular in the Mount. He did work as s fork driver in RTB until he retired
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  18:24:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re; the Lewis butchers shopI vaguely remember Topsy or her brother telling me that Vic Jeffs took over the business from his wife's father.I used to play with Topsy and her brother in the huge rooms behind the shop. I can't remember Topsy's brother's name but it would be very hard to forget hers.At some point Edgar Gameson took over the shop and I think he was still there in 1955. He owned an "Allard" sports car, a car I've never seen since.
I note the second photo was taken long before the first because the telephone poles are absent in the first photo.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

smokey
Advanced Member

234 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  19:08:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Emrys You are right the steps on the side of Edwards was known as the The George steps, whereas the Bell steps were from the side of the British legion up to Elmwood
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2015 :  21:04:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasnt Edwards furnishers on the West side of the steps. (Next to Bisi;s; or next but one). I hada friend Warren Best who lived in the same building. I think his dad was one of the staff in the shop.
That is right about George Steps; memory playing tricks again.
Topsy Jeffs was a really smart girl, unfortunately I was too young and immature whereas Emrys would have been about the right age.
Have seen a few Allards, areally sporting car but made from parts of other manufacturers. The body was unique built only for thta make of car. I think Bill may have lived in Waundeg but my geog knowledge of Tred is somewhat lacking
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  16:25:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Milkman. I have wracked my brain for hours on our last posts and believe that Vic Jeffs daughter was named Toby not Topsy. She would be my age if still around and if she is, I wish and her loved ones all the very best. Who knows, she could be a subscriber to the Forum and respond to this post in person. After all miracles do happen.Emrys
Go to Top of Page

brand

6 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  16:28:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some other shops you might remember:-

Peacocks,
Jordan's - butchers
Weaver - fruiterer/Greengrocer
Walby - fruiterer/greengrocer
Lamberts - outfitters
Bishops - dairyman (Queens Square)
Jones - corn merchant Red Lion Square (Milkmans' uncle)
The Roath - furniture store
Evans -butcher
Woodley -butcher

By the way did Gameson have an Allard, Ford V8 pilot or both.

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  16:41:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re. Edgar Gameson's cars. He may have owned a Ford Pilot (that was my last car in Tredegar) but he certainly owned an Allard and I saw it the day he took delivery. It was suggested that Allard, the manufacturer, set out to compete with the "Morgan" car but from my very brief knowledge of the Allard enterprise it was ,as has been suggested, an assembly of parts from other manufactures. I have never seen another Allard or read about its achievements, if any.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  17:22:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Just a few more shops to recall, all in or established in 1950.
Davies, butcher.
Lou Cammerman, fish monger.
Penny Bazaar, next to Cammerman.
Hughes, fruits and veg.
Hayward. painter and decorator.
Hayward and Williams. ironmonger
Edgar Thomas, chemist,
Esther, female apparel
Michael. corn merchant.
Bryn Owen. fruit and veg
Quick and Hayden, mens clothing.
Badminton. printer.
Aneurin Morgan. cycles, electric.
J C Charles. radio.
Dai, the barber, Commercial St
??? the circle,barber.
Watkins and Son, butcher.
There was a high end mens clothing shop just above
the Castle. Name escapes me.
The name "Rutters" (or should it be Ruthers) comes to mind but
I can't place it.
S.L. Thomas,ironmonger.
Wine Shop next to Edgar Thomas.
Adams, dairy products.
Mrs Lawrence. pastry products
Ah Fook, Laundry.
Post office run by the Penberthys
I am sure there will be more but this, I believe,will start
older brains to click into action, to add or to comment. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

philg
Advanced Member

271 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  19:23:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emrys,
I think you are thinking of Ron Hughes tailor shop just above the Castle and
Claude Brookes barber's shop in the Circle.
Another name which comes to mind is Mr. Day who ran a grocery in Commercial Street.

Philg
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  20:44:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was after my time but didnt Mr Day become manager of Cheaps?
I mentioned 50 Shilling Tailors; they vecame Weaver to Wearer.
There was jackson's shoe shop and Roberts likewise
The Penny Bazaar was Longstaffs
It was a very posh town- Meat from Jordans was delivered is a Hawker Siddeley car.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  21:03:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,philq. Thank you, I just couldn't recall Ron Hughes name or Claude Brookes although I patronized both at one time or another. I knew John Day and his wife very well and John gave me good advice. We shopped at his shop but can't recall if he operated under his own name or not. The last time I visited with them, (wife's name eludes me but it will come back) was when they lived at Golliwg/Monydd, (never saw correct spelling) up behind the Mountain Aire.
A problem with reciting the names of shops is one is never sure if they have been named before. Not sure if Leonards and Briggs have been mentioned, both in shoes and Cotton's tobacconist, more will come I am sure. I should have mentioned Charles and Finch too because they were virtually next door to Claude Brookes.Emrys.
Its 60 years since I left Tredegar but I really enjoy looking back and am so very grateful to have known so many of the tradepeople of the town. I think John Day's wife was Clarice.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1716 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  21:26:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my mother always called nelsons chemists "Blacks the chemist" I've been racking my brain but I can't remember what it was before Nelsons
Help please I know someone will remember

Go to Top of Page

brand

6 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  21:55:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ddraig

Nelson chemist was called Willcox.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1984 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  22:00:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ddraig , it was Ron Wilcox. I think Ron took the shop over about 1955.
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2015 :  22:51:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, Ronald Wilcox, A Tredegar Forum Member I believe !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.