Jack the Fifer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob

South Africa
134 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  17:47:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just seen a photo on the "photos and videos" section of a stainless steel "statue" of John Rees (Jack the Fifer ). This was taken by Daleks about two years ago. Having read "The Man From The Alamo" (about Jack ), can anyone tell me exactly where in Tredegar is this statue??

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  18:48:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The statue of "Jack the Fifer" is located on the opposite side of the road from the Dukestown Workmens Club near to the old Star Inn site (long demolished) where the Chartists held their meetings. Nearby also is the memorial to the three local men who died in the riots in Newport. Where I live in Twyn Star several thousand men reputedly gathered before marching to Newport. What connection is there between Jack and the Alamo and where can I access the information ?
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2015 :  19:45:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Man from the Alamo" by John Humphries.
Buy the book - you'll enjoy it. Jack really led an incredible life.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Man-Alamo-Chartist-Uprising-Massacre/dp/190352914X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1444674990&sr=8-3&keywords=the+man+from+the+alamo
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
134 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2015 :  20:28:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read this book about two years ago and it dispels a lot of the myths surrounding the Chartists. These "old" heroes of Tredegar take some beating. I had the book from my local library. Thanks for the info Daleks -- I'll go and have a look at it when next in Tredegar.
Incidentally, Zephaniah Williams (another Chartist leader who lived in Tredegar for some time) was held in high regard in Tasmania and my sister tells me that a visit to the prison in Port Arthur is inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
482 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2015 :  21:54:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zephaniah Williams lived for a while about 100 metres further along from the Dukestown Club in Police Row , it probably being the reason why the Chartist meetings were convened in the Star Inn Nearby. Coincidently my wife's 2xgreat grandfather kept the Star Inn at the time and was probably a participant at the meetings and possibly took part in the March to Newport.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.