New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  13:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Milkman for this photo of the old Coal Dram in Bedwellty Park. Anybody know know what mine it come out of? Think it was something to do with the lump of coal maybe ?

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  20:24:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might have come from the level on Sirhowy Hill, which the one ton of coal was excavated for the 1952 Exhibition - Festival of Britain.
It looks too modern for the 15 ton of coal hewed out by Collier Mawr.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  21:14:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think the record breaking coal come from the Yard Coal Level

Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2016 :  21:42:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar drams were in use in Ty Tryst in the 1950's.we sometimes rode in them from near Whitworth where they stored the pit props around the bend and down towards Ty Tryst
Go to Top of Page

dwjames40

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  01:36:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember the tram rides well, what a relief to got off in one piece at the end of ride. Like walking the width of St.James reser when covered with ice. The good old days Butch !
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  09:16:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 15 ton piece of coal came from the yard level which is now underneath the shopping centre and bus depot. It was so heavy that the rails buckled and the coal started to break up. It never got to The Great Exhibition.
The smaller one was hewed out of a level on Sirhowy Hill and was displayed at The Festival of Britain in 1952.

My class from the Grammar School were taken to The Festival of Britain and we were so proud of see Tredegar mentioned.

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1380 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  09:50:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan ,if your class went to the Festival of Britain in 1952 they missed it by a year.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  18:53:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Rendell

The 15 ton piece of coal came from the yard level which is now underneath the shopping centre and bus depot. It was so heavy that the rails buckled and the coal started to break up. It never got to The Great Exhibition.
The smaller one was hewed out of a level on Sirhowy Hill and was displayed at The Festival of Britain in 1952.

My class from the Grammar School were taken to The Festival of Britain and we were so proud of see Tredegar mentioned.

Thanks Bryan, good to know where the smaller piece come from :-)

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  20:07:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Father told Me that the smaller block was dug, up from near the top of Sirhowy hill, on the right hand side of the road,
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  21:17:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Keonjo,

As one gets older dates and times seem irrelevant.

I have a picture somewhere of the ton of coal being extracted from the level on Sirhowy Hill. A friend of mine - Howard Davies' father was one of the miners, with Harry Harris.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  21:47:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the cage and tram came from Ty Trist Colliery.

Regarding the lump of coal; I have seen a photo ,taken by South Wales Argos which states that; at request of the NCB three brothers Will, Rees and Cliff Davies to provide one piece of coal of 5 tons. The best that was achieved was 2 ton 17cwts, this was from Llynda level in 1951 and filmed by the Argos. Notable people at the scene were chairman of the council B Macpherson and Charlie Allan Group Mech engineer, and many other councillors.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  10:49:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Bryan for the photo

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1975 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2016 :  15:27:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cracking photo, I am fairly sure that the man standing to the left of the mayor Is Reg Padfield my old maths teacher in Georgetown Sec. Anyone else agree?
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  18:18:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Recognise that moustache anywhere.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  20:44:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me where Llynda level was located ?

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  21:10:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Llynda level was on the right side of Sirhowy Hill - about 40 yards down from Hetherington Garage, that was.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  23:01:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bryan, never new it existed.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2016 :  20:14:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also found the following:

"Celebrated lump of coal cut as a special exercise to form a monument at the 1851 Great Exhibition. It was cut at the yard level (on the site of the bus station) by the expert collier John Jones, alias "Collier Mawr". Jones cut a block weighing twenty tons (20.32 tonnes), but a five-ton (5.08 tonnes) piece broke away during transportation. Despite its reduced size, it is still reputed to be the largest block of coal ever cut. Owing to the difficulties of transportation, it was decided that it would not survive the journey to Crystal Palace, and it was set up in the grounds of Bedwellty House, the home of the Homfray family, who owned both the Tredegar Ironworks and the Yard Level. A block of two tons (2.03 tonnes) was cut from the same seam 100 years later for the Festival of Britain. "

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.