pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  20:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  20:53:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the phone number 47.for Wilcox chemist.Wonder who in Tredegar had number 1.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  21:04:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShelleyW

Look at the phone number 47.for Wilcox chemist.Wonder who in Tredegar had number 1.

Well said, the first number was "17" in 1892

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  21:20:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who had that number Pierre must have been some kind of business.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  00:41:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who had that number Pierre must have been some kind of business.

"The first telephone in the town was installed by the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company and phones installed at its main office (bottom of Stable Lane), the works, collieries and homes of officials who might be needed urgently. Years later when the exchange opened in the town, the first public number was “Tredegar 17”, a solicitor’s office."

Thought it would have been a hair dressers

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  00:42:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Tredegar number 17 was a solicitors. I posted this information on the 4th April on General Discussion- Tredegar, Phones in Tredegar. You will find members have posted some other old Tredegar numbers.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  00:49:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ShelleyW, Heard a rumour that number 1 could have been Winters the butchers, surely this would not be correct Brian is still a young man.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

62 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  08:38:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said my Grand parents was number 25, whilst checking some old paperwork it was number 20,I remember people coming in to use phone,But more than that receiving calls for other people in the night mainly from Hospitals and my Mother Pat Arnold jumping in the car and taking them to the Hospital to be with their loved ones,
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  18:45:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Winter far to young for retirement Goodwitchsilverwicth.he's only 72.I'm only waiting for the nod and I'll be hanging up my knives .I think that's a distant dream though.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  18:53:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember you always having a phone in Church St Nick.when some one wanted to be put through to your grandfathers scrapyard Pat your mother would be turning that handle really hard for about 10 minutes to be put through.it would have been quicker for her to walk across the road with the message.
Go to Top of Page

Nick

62 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2016 :  21:02:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Bob the dog would bark and get the old man remember him big dog,
I used to turn the Handle for the old man ringing the other way, and take messages,i think the number was 20 not 25,On a different note I remember my Grand Father bought a very early if not close to the first colour TV and the neighbours came over to see the first programme the High Chapparell, were you there my memory not that good
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  00:28:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far we have, Tredegar No.17 Solicitors. No.20 Nick's Grandparents. No.44 Evans Garage. No.47 Wilcox chemist.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  17:03:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't think I was there for that Nick.but remember watching Corrie most nights with Mrs Arnold and Pat.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  18:58:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father's number was 79 and mine years later, was 329. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  19:00:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandparents was 192.

Go to Top of Page

Nick

62 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  20:05:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I the only person who as never watched a episode of any soap lol,
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2016 :  23:03:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K.so Tredegar No. 17 Solicitors. No.20 Nick's Grandparents. No.44 Evans garage. No.47 Wilcox chemist. No. 79 Emrys father. No.192 Pierre's Grandparents. No.329 Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  18:12:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evans the butchers End of Commercial St 319
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2016 :  20:40:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Wilcox number was continued from Black The Chemist.
Wilcox was far too young to have such a distinguished number.
Incidentally his brother taught chem initially at The Lawn (Rhymney,) then at Tredegar Grammar
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2016 :  00:55:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did the brother have a telephone?
Go to Top of Page

yyWizard

69 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2016 :  21:23:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evans the butchers End of Commercial St 319

Shelley, Was this the butchers on the other side of the road from the shop run by those most friendly of people, Mr and Mrs Michael? Do you remember the Michaels’ number?
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

Wilcox was far too young to have such a distinguished number.
Incidentally his brother taught chem initially at The Lawn (Rhymney,) then at Tredegar Grammar

Milkman, Thanks for reminding me of my first chemistry lesson in Tredegar Grammar in the sixties, when Cyril (aka Cy) Wilcox gave us a health and safety lesson. He did a good job, because I remember to this day the main points from his lesson.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

690 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  08:36:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YyWizad no Evans the butchers was on the same side of the Michaels shop about 4 doors down.The Michaels used to run the corn shop. Mrs Michael was a real character.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  10:53:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall both Evans the butcher and Michaels.
Evans had a son Derek who married Sylvia Thomas, who was a really lovely girl.
The daughter of the Michaels was Gwynneth (I think). She married John Edwards (Shampsy junior).
I believe Derek and Sylvia both died quite young but its likely that John and Gwynneth are still alive. After all they are no older than mw !!!
Go to Top of Page

yyWizard

69 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2016 :  22:33:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Evans the butchers was on the same side of the Michaels shop about 4 doors down. The Michaels used to run the corn shop. Mrs Michael was a real character.

Yes, I particularly remember Mrs Michael from the many incredibly friendly Tredegar folk of the sixties.
quote:
Originally posted by milkman

I recall both Evans the butcher and Michaels.
Evans had a son Derek who married Sylvia Thomas, who was a really lovely girl.
The daughter of the Michaels was Gwynneth (I think).

I do remember Gwyneth, and her daughter, and hope they are keeping well.

My memory of that young couple with the man’s retired dad in the butchers must be wrong in locating their shop over the road from the Michaels, in the foreground of the picture below.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1972 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2016 :  14:01:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The butchers that you may be thinking about on the right was Davies & Son (George), they were near The old market.
John Shampie Edwards sadly passed away a a few years ago, but Gwynneth is alive and well.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2016 :  17:16:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milkman, My wife spoke to Sylvia about twelve month ago ; now living in Ferryside

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.97 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.