the miners fight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ken sully
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2016 :  20:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As some of you know, retired coal miners of the Tredegar and Cynon Valley areas have been collecting signatures promoting the fight to get a case heard in the House of Lords. The campaign is called: UK Miners Pension Scheme for Justice and Fair Play. Why are we campaigning? Some of you will remember Gordon Brown the then Chancellor of the Exchequer who in 2003 removed about £4billion from the coalworkers pension schemes. Even today £1000,000 a day is being removed from the coal workers pension schemes totaling a massive £8billion to date. Our aim is to raise 100,000 signatures minimum; this is being co-ordinated around the former coal mining towns and villages of the UK. There are stumbling blocks; that is to say that well known and powerfull super stores such as ASDA Aberaman and ASDA Dowlais Top Merthyr Tydfil refuse permission for Pensioners to ask the good people of the satelite communities to engage with us by appending their signatures to a paper form. As of writing this post more attempts have been submitted to ASDA. Meanwhile TESCO stores have submitted a little resistance but eventually capitulated. We collected from these TESCO stores: Aberdare 500 signatures, TESCO stores Merthyr Tydfil 520 signatures and with the Rhondda Cynon Taff's permission we collected 520 signatures from the Bus Station— Blackwood 560 signatures.

kdsullivan

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
535 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2016 :  21:44:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In addition to the paper signatures, if you get the signatures on line. The www.gov.uk website, (go to the section Petition Parliament and the Government you will also get it at petition.parliament.uk) you can set up your own petition. 10,000 signatures will get a response from Goverment, 100,000 will mean that it has to be discussed in Parliament. I'm not sure if 'paper' signatures carry the same outcomes, they probably do! The advantage with online is that you can muster support from around the entire country so that family, friends, acquaintances, etc can sign it wherever they live in the UK,
I don't live in the valleys to be in a position to sign but I could sign it if it were online and more importantly I can email at least a hundred people with the link and that hundred could forward it to their friends! A hundred thousand is a tall order 'manually' but through the Internet, Facebook, Twitter emails etc it is a bit more manageable. Just a thought!

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

jonker

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2016 :  09:49:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be the first one to admit I may not have all the facts, but I think an agreement was struck between the government and the mining unions where by in circumstances where the pension fund was unable to pay the members the government would make those payments. In return for this guarantee each year a percentage of the profits made by the fund went to the public purse. If I am right then perhaps someone from the unions could explain why this was done. As a member of one of the miners pension schemes i am more than happy to have that guarantee even if it seems a high price to pay. If anyone thinks differently tell them to have a word with our friends down in Port Talbot and other plants around the country.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1630 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2016 :  21:27:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this when Gordon removed tax relief from ALL pension funds?
If so approx £120B has been put into governments hands in one fell swoop.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2016 :  01:11:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jonkers is correct. THe trustees of the pension fund are elected by members of all unions . After consultation with members it was agreed to accept the government proposal, bearing mind the actuaries forecast for the future was not that promising. The trustees are doing a wonderful job in keeping the pension fund afloat; the future is not that bright.
The signatures to the petition are they miners etc? if they are let them contact their rep. If not I don't want every tom dick and harry interfering with my pension.

Go to Top of Page

ken sully
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2016 :  08:14:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ike if you think that the trustees are doing a good job then you must live in cuckoo land. 1st lets look at the goverment on standing agreement as what was said. for that agreement the goverment will take 50% of the surpius that amounts to £1m per day from 1994/5 to date that is £9bl the government did not do a study on this as it stand to now the ex miners are dying at the rate of 8.000 per year as of now we have 250.000 on/or comeing up to penision so in 32 years at 8.000 per year then all the ex miners will be gone.to date the pension as it stand gets a cost of living risr per year so with whats in the pension fund todate in 32 years there will be about £1b still in the pot so WAY HAVE A AGREEMENT as the goverment can take £1m per day out of this pot, back to the trustees look at what they get O AND BY THE WAY WE DID GET A SAY OR A VOTE ON THIS.AND WHEN THIS WAS DONE THE AGREEMENT SAID UPTO £2B so my fight is for the £7b they have over the top as this is the miners pension fund os befor you have a go at us then get the facts so if that £7b was to be put back in then that will be a rise of upto 50% of the pension on about £20.000 lump sum per person and last but not lest it was the U D M that done this and not the num at that time

kdsullivan

Edited by - ken sully on 15/05/2016 08:18:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.