Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  18:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Smythes

104 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  18:18:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of these workers look so young.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  19:18:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dad left schol at 13 so I think one could start down the pit at that age..
Things have improved a bit since that time.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  19:23:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what the average age was of miners in the area ?

Go to Top of Page

Smythes

104 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  21:54:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Dad was born in 1904, and I believe that he, too, went into the mines as a child of 13 years, such a young age. This would be classed as child abuse or slavery these days.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1401 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  07:59:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smythes, you are right ,it was slavery and abuse and the people who profited from it and lived in luxury should be damned to eternity.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

702 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  09:21:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father worked there from the age of 14 until it closed in the 60s.30 years of nights shifts.he then went on to do another twenty years in the Marine colliery in Cwm and died a year after retirement.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  12:48:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know the date of the photograph?
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  12:50:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just seen --36 in the bottom right corner, maybe 1936?
Go to Top of Page

Smythes

104 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2016 :  14:57:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just like your Dad, ShelleyW, my Dad was 65 in the July when he retired and he died the following April.
I know the closure if the mines cost hundreds of jobs in our valleys, but Im so glad that my brothers and my sons never had to work in the conditions my dad worked in.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

702 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  20:54:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Pochin closed my father could have gone to Markham colliery his father was killed there so more than likely that why he went to the Marine in Cwm.like youSmyths he never wanted my brother to work in the pit.
Go to Top of Page

GeorgieGirl

21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  17:06:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was a blacksmith ,he was also 14 when he started work.
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  19:15:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Georgiegirl, was your father one of the Whithorns?
Go to Top of Page

GeorgieGirl

21 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  19:46:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Tony his name was Jack George from queen street
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
303 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  20:15:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks for the reply.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  09:10:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad was 14 when he started in Markham pit, apart from numerous minor injuries he finally retired with a punctured lung, broken ribs and suffered with serious lung problems, my grandfather died in his early sixties (he was unwell for years before) with pneumoconiosis or "dust" as it was known, the Coalboard refused to take blame then as they did with thousands of others,
GeorgieGirl, any relation to Annie George?

Go to Top of Page

GeorgieGirl

21 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  18:52:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ddraig she was an aunt to my father ,born before 1920 if it's the same Annie .
Go to Top of Page

rhyd boy
Advanced Member

New Zealand
166 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  20:15:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same story my father worked undergound from 13 died in his mid fifties. I've recently looked up some studies of mineworkers health problems "dust" was not the only problem, kidney disease was very common (this was my fathers problem). I started work at Markham the day after my fathers funeral. After 6 years, I was going through the showers one day and noted the number of men with injuries and ill health, so put my notice in the next day. After the riches had been taken out of the Valleys the people were cast aside and forgotten.
quote:
Originally posted by ddraig

My dad was 14 when he started in Markham pit, apart from numerous minor injuries he finally retired with a punctured lung, broken ribs and suffered with serious lung problems, my grandfather died in his early sixties (he was unwell for years before) with pneumoconiosis or "dust" as it was known, the Coalboard refused to take blame then as they did with thousands of others,
GeorgieGirl, any relation to Annie George?

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2016 :  09:34:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right rhyd boy, a great number of miners died before their time, any wealth that was made has never benefitted wales, same with the iron works

GeorgieGirl
Yes Annie George was born prior to 1920, I know she lived in Queen St when she was married, she passed away in the early 80's if I remember rightly

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1674 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2016 :  10:19:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recall Hazel George who lived near the "gulley" opp the road up to Hills Garage.
Is that the same family?
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
134 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2016 :  10:43:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have attached my Father's "School Leaving certificate" -- aged 13 !!
I've tried to attacch a copy ----- but failed. Please tell me how to attached photos etc
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2016 :  22:26:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Bob,
Please email the photos to webmaster@tredegar.co.uk and we will post foy you.

Go to Top of Page

GeorgieGirl

21 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2016 :  17:37:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes milkman My father was related to Hazel George ,there were a lot of the family living in queen street from as far back as 1861 some still live there. Ddraig was Annie related to you?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1736 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2016 :  20:29:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandmother-in-law, lovely lady and a real character

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
2002 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2016 :  23:50:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the late thirties my aunt met a regular soldier who came from Nottingham, he asked where her Father (my grandfather) worked, she replied oh,he works at pochin, as you can imagine there was quite a pregnant pause, and he didn't pursue the issue. It wasn't until the following day that he asked my Mother was it right her Father was a poacher, when all was explained he was relived and rather embarrassed, but also some hilarity at his understandable ignorance. He married my aunt and became a smashing uncle to me.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13919 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2016 :  17:26:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob

I have attached my Father's "School Leaving certificate" -- aged 13 !!
I've tried to attacch a copy ----- but failed. Please tell me how to attached photos etc

Many thanks to Bob for the copy of the certificate....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.