Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

yyWizard

69 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  22:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brexit Leavers' Proposal to Reduce Immigration could cut State Pensions

If the UK were to leave the EU and follow the Brexit Leavers' proposal to cut EU migration into the UK, this would result in fewer people paying taxes and lead to a significant budget shortfall, so that the Government would have to look at ways to make up the difference, such as reducing the state pension to new pensioners, raising the State Pension age, or increasing National Insurance contributions.

If EU immigration into the UK was to fall by 150,000 a year, the impact on tax revenues and benefit expenditure could cost the Government more than 3 billion a year by 2032, according to a study by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries. That cost could rise to 8 billion per year by 2057.

Options to cover that cost would include raising the State Pension age by one year and reducing the amount paid to new pensioners. The report says that it would have to be cut by 3.5% to make up the shortfall, costing pensioners 300 a year.

Another option might be to increase National Insurance contributions by 1.5%, so that the Government has enough money coming in to meet the State Pension bill.

Post-Brexit fall in migration could cut pensions.

The Impact of Possible Migration Scenarios After Brexit on the State Pension Scheme

billk

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  22:50:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can't raise pension age any more you work until you are on your knees now
Go to Top of Page

Howie1966

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  22:59:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The previous Labour government set out plans, based on recommendations from Lord Turner, to steadily increase the state pension age to 68 for both men and women over the next four decades.

From 2020, both men and women's state pension age will be 66, increasing to 67 between 2026 and 2028, and then linked to life expectancy after that.

The government will then review the state pension age every five years.

This will see those in their early 20s now have to wait until they're at least 70 before they can take their state pension.

This was decided sometime back
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

604 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  23:06:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a disgraceful attempt by Cameron to terrify pensioners into voting for remain. I truly wonder if the man has completely lost his head. Does he really think the people of this country can be browbeaten like this ? shameful.
Go to Top of Page

djholly
Advanced Member

604 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  07:27:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
desperate times call for desperate measures. sad & pityfull attempt to frighten people into voting their way. as much as I hope everyone votes to leave, the winner will be those in charge of counting the votes. I have no trust or faith in this referendum.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  09:52:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The initial premise that cutting immigration will reduce the number of people paying tax is not proven.
There is no intention whatsoever to remove those that are currently here. The "immigrant" population have a higher birth rate than indigenous Britons therefore the population is increasing and the number of young people starting work will increase.
I think that a majority are of the opinion that the current population must not be significantly increased. However, there are many skilled people who wish to live here and who we should welcome.(Likewise many Uk persons , particularly pensioners, wish to live abroad).
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

470 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2016 :  18:44:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what's new.should have had my state pension last year when I was 60.had a letter a year before it was due to tell me it would be delayed another 6 years.i will now receive it on my 66th birthday.what a shambles.
Go to Top of Page

IAmNotANumber

126 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2016 :  18:24:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you all see that Dodgy Dave and co are giving you a different villain to blame - the EU. Do you really think the EU is interested in pinching your pension, or is it more likely that the tories are pointing over there, saying "watch out, the nasty EU is trying to rob your pensions" to distract you from their hands going into your pockets?

If you can't prove it, don't say it.
Go to Top of Page

IAmNotANumber

126 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2016 :  18:25:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Food[bank] for thought - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jun/19/brussels-isnt-bad-guy-tory-cuts-cause-britains-troubles-eu-referendum

If you can't prove it, don't say it.
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2016 :  20:44:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joined this site because I had such great memories of growing up in Tredegar. However, not been on the site for a long time, and wont be again I think. IAmNotANumber, you seem from the various posts I have read, like an intelligent, open minded person, a credit to the town. However some of the rest of you from your posts, seem like a bunch of right wing xenophobes! Milkman, do you think its right in this day and age, to make uninformed and dangerous assumptions about people? To use words like 'indigenous' to describe the extremely non indigenous people of this country, especially Tredegar. Then make a comparison to birth rate of 'those' 'immigrants' as you put it, not taking into account, religion, circumstances, cultural norms, that adapt to new circumstance, there by leading to the fact that, they will almost certainly not continue this trend of having a higher birth rate. 'Us' and 'them' language, I believe is the rhetoric of fascists. In one post I read several years back, one of your group was decrying the fact that the old Surgery was being used for Asylum Seekers, and voiced the question 'What would Nye think?', as if the great man would object to that. What would he think of some of you, and your myopic small town mentality I say?
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  09:51:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gar T, seems to me that you are the bigot and Milkman's comments are common sense.If , in your little tantrum ,you decide you no longer wish to be a contributor to the discussions ,l doubt if you'll be missed.
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  16:22:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keanjo, from my post how do you deduce I am the bigot? But again I have noticed there is a little group on here quick to encourage people of a different viewpoint to leave the forum! Usually I am the type of person who is live and let live, however post Brexit I am very angry. I have a young family and I believe people such as yourself, with your narrow outlook on life have put that future at risk. My dad hated Tredegar, he said it was full of small minded people, going down memory lane, talking about the good old days, but always with a dollop of spite, he called them Tredegarites. He had worked in London, and seen a bit of the world, and only came back for his mothers sake. Perhaps it would be fitting to rename this site Tredegarite Forum, that would have amused him greatly?
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  16:30:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GarT 'won't be again' didn't last long then!
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  19:46:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, and I have given pretty good reasons why! Are you a moron?
Go to Top of Page

rhyd boy

New Zealand
142 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  20:40:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I left Tredegar 40 years ago largely for economic reasons and visit the forum out of interest for historic reasons. It is saddening when such strong political views are expressed but some of GarT points are well made. My family history of Tredegar goes back to a Great Grandfather and Grandfather who worked in Troed Level and Grandfather father and brothers etc. who worked at Ty-Trist; I have often wondered what the original people of the area thought about the influx of "outsiders" who came to Tredegar to work in the mid 1800s. Apart from the Irish and Jewish riots where there any other flashpoints? A quick look at the old parish records reveal a multiplicity of ethnic surnames so any claim of indigenous people is on shaky ground, the only truly indigenous people are the people of Central Africa. Yes I not there at the moment but read a mixture of views and feel entitled to comment.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1223 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2016 :  21:55:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GarT ,the definition of a bigot is a person who is intolerant of other people's views which I think justifies my use of the word . Incidentally the use of personal abuse is no substitute for rational argument.
Go to Top of Page

Cloud-Collector
Advanced Member

150 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  00:19:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GarT
So, your Dad hated Tredegar and you're angry about Brexit - I don't think that is of any interest to the rest of us, especially as the points were made so rudely.
Go and vent your spleen somewhere else.

Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

400 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  07:53:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear what a naughty boyo that Gart turned out to be. I love Tredegar, Not born here ,visited only once to see Gone with the wind in the early fifties,then after moving 30 times around the Country and abroad,settled in Tredegar in 2000. Now that's luvely is't it.oh and I voted out
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  11:43:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calm down folks, everyone is entitled to express their opinion. This is Wales not North Korea.
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  14:53:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not gone yet sailor, might stick around to keep an eye on things.
ryd boy might be right, perhaps this forum shouldn't be used for strong political views, but seems to me it has been for a while, a very nasty little ukip right wing agenda going on, I believe this has lead to the shameful situation where we have a morally bankrupt man such as Neil Hamilton a major player now in Welsh politics.
keanjo is probably, now dictionary at hand, ready to define the literal meaning of words, without it seems the actual ability to put that meaning into a context. Sorry k, strongly disagreeing with some one does not make you a 'bigot'!
cloud collector, fails to see the irony when telling me 'to vent my spleen elsewhere!', he obviously didn't read my point about a small group quick to encourage people of other opinions to leave the site.
Lets be honest you are indulging in the politics of the playground.
Apart from ryd boy, no one seems to want to address the pretty valid points I made about peoples attitudes to immigration, bigoted viewpoints, what Nye would have made of it.
I am glad you love the town sailor, I have a lot of friends there, it can be a good place to live! :-)

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  15:35:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gar T ,I did not say disagreeing with someone made you a bigot but being intolerant of other people's views does. There is a substantial difference and I think you qualify for the latter. However that is enough about semantics. Incidentally I had no need to consult a dictionary
Go to Top of Page

mikewed1

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  18:16:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can all have our own opinion about anything , thats democracy if you ask me, go to speakers corner and you will see opinion at work.

What has really happened with this referendum has shown how little people have for the word democracy.

I voted out and make no apologies for that , why should I apologise for that.

Those people who voted remain , i really do applaud them for sticking by what they believed in.

If Out had lost then that would be that , simple , but come on get real its democracy at work , by the way I dont think I am racist at all, or do i think the banks need to suffer for ill gotton gains,

Life is for living , some lost, some won , get on with life and stop talking this wonderful country down, up up and away.

I cheer on Brexit because we can be better than we were, it will take time of course , but the decision has been made and now we have to live with it, of course if you dont like it , you can always go and live in the EU cant you
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2016 :  19:09:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure I can share your bright new vision mikewed1, or that it was democracy at work, more like mob rule/democrazy to me! Prefer Edmund Burkes belief that we have informed representatives at Parliament, in the form of MPs, to make such important decisions. Our system was abused by the Tories, and now we are on a very precarious path. The reality is we will lose the Falklands in the next 10 years, and there will be civil unrest in Northern Ireland on a scale never before seen. So the answer isn't to role up our sleeves and 'get on with it;, but act like the intelligent and educated people we are, and debate it in great detail' It is not a done deal!
Finally, why does leaving my my home and living away from family and friends seem like a reasonable option. to my mind that would be desertion, and I will stay to fight thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mikewed1

United Kingdom
43 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  05:40:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the same informed representatives that normally have the noses in the trough. The same elected MP's that cheat the public purse for self gain. Why is it always the Tories that get blamed, I dont think people realise there was a Labour government from 1997 through to 2010, another 13 years of mis-rule on all fronts. By the way I am no Tory , I am personally steeped in Labour tradition , a union member all my life , but its not always the tories, our system was abused by all and for that matter still is , I dont see Brussels regulating them only ill shaped bananas
Go to Top of Page

tony
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
229 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  09:05:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reality is the Falklands will still be part of the UK in ten years.
Go to Top of Page

GarT

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2016 :  10:25:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you are right Tony, but the reality is we wont have a UK in 10 years time, just Southern Britain! That will not prove much of a deterrent to some right wing Argentinian Junta. We will not have the same political clout or resources to defend it, and the 'special friendship' with USA will be a thing of the past.
Surely you can see this is a highly likely scenario?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.73 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.