Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2007 :  22:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been looking at the picture of the clock and circle. Can anyone tell me if the coral betting shop is the building that used to be Wilcox the Chemist in the 50/60s please? It was owned and run by my fathers cousins Ron and Olwen Wilcox and I remember the clock but cannot remember a betting shop.I visited them occasionally in the 50's. Olwens mother Blodwen Evans was my grandmother's 1/2 sister.
My fathers family came from Aberfan

My mothers family all come from Tredegar and also owned or rented the Heathcock Inn on the rhymney road and I am trying to find out if that is still there. I would be very grateful if someone could answer these questions. I am researching my family history. My maternal grandfathers name was Daniel Watkins born 1877 and his fathers sister Mary Ann Watkins married William Phillips (the Heathcock connection 1881/1891/1901 census )My gt grandparents and grandparents Watkins were all born in Tredegar and so was my mother.They owned 63 york Terrace and that is where she was born in 1925. In the 30's they moved to Risca where they ran The fox and Hounds inn,which they ran until my grandfathers death in 1952. Thanks in anticipation of a reply. Val

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2007 :  02:04:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wilcox's chemist shop was not actually on the Circle but was situated further down in Morgan Street. - next door to the Tredegar Arms pub and opposite the old Olympia cinema - now Witherspoons pub - on the corner of Bridge Street.
Ron's brother Cyril taught Chemistry in Tredegar Grammar School and son Howard was once an acquaintance of mine when he lived in Pontllanfraith but have lost touch with him many years ago.
Cyril is alive and well and lives in Harford Street.

Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2007 :  09:54:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I lived in Tredegar Wilcox's Chemist shop, as Ken says, was on the corner of Bridge Street, opposite Provini's cafe.

Before Ron opened his Chemist shop he was the dispensor/pharmacist at Park Place Surgery.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2007 :  18:25:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Val,
Please find below some photo's I took today for you of the shop as it is now, and where it is in location to our (now working) clock.

Hope that help,

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  23:13:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Many thanks for the photos Peirre, but it is funny how memories play tricks, I thought it was on the corner of the circle.
I didn't know Ron's brother as I was only a child and Olwen was my dad's cousin and it was she and Ron we visited and my father kept in touch with until his death in 1998.
Please does anyone know anything about the Heathcock inn on the Rhymney road? Is it still there? and is York terrace still there? I would like to get some pictures of those if they are still standing and would make a visit again to see them, as my mother was born in 63 york terr. Once again many thanks for the replies Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2007 :  23:26:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Val

York terrace is still standing, not sure on the Heathcock inn as its got no mention of that pub in the history book. ?
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2007 :  21:51:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pierre, the 1901 census lists the families living at 2 Cemetry cottages, thats the Pritchards, Daniel Watkins and family my gt grandfather next door at Cefen Golan cottage and the Phillips next door again at the Heathcock Inn. So all three are next door to one another. Do you know if any of the others are still there ? Sorry to ask so many questions but family history gets addictive and knowing so little about my family I need to find some answers. Thanks for your help.
My grandfather Daniel Watkins lived in York terrace in the 20's and mum Marjorie Watkins was born there in 1925. I don't suppose anyone there still remembers them? I think at one time they ran a club there but I don't know which one. I shall have to do more digging. Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2007 :  17:48:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry val, I thought you meant Thar the Heathcock Inn was a pub :)

A few buildings are still standing. I'll try to take some photos for you.

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2007 :  00:21:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre,
Thanks yet again for that offer it would be lovely. I don't understand what you mean about the Heathcock inn though. On the 1901 census William phillips and family are listed as living at the Heathcock inn and his occupation is coal miner and innkeeper so I assumed that it was a pub !!!What is still standing then ?
Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  15:34:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Val,
The Heathcock Inn was not adjacent to Cemetery Cottages as you suggest but was situated some distance further along the Rhymney road at Cwmtysswg.
You can see 2 maps on the following link.

http://www.geocities.com/jenks436/cwmtysswg.html

The first is an OS map from 1885 which shows the Heathcock Inn presumably as an operational pub.
The second is a modern map showing location only.
I haven't travelled that road for many years so I'm not sure if any buildings still remain.
Maybe someone living a bit closer to that location can help.
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  22:47:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken,
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my post but when I click on the link it doesn't bring anything up only black squares. Have you any suggestions ?

There can't have been any other houses between cemetry cottages and the Heathcock inn and cefn golan cottages because the census shows them following on from one another. Does the map show that please ken?
Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2008 :  22:54:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken,

If you can e-mail me the cwmtysswg.jpg file, I stick it on the server if it helps?
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:00:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Val,
Sorry about that - try these links.
If they don't work I've emailed Pierre with the files.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/sirhowylad/?action=view¤t=cwmtysswg.jpg br /

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l290/sirhowylad/?action=view¤t=cwmtyssyg2.jpg
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:11:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken
yes thanks they work. Can't see any other buildings there though.Must have passed by there in november when I got the certificates that told me about this part of my family history. How annoying is that.!! Will have to sweet talk hubby now to take me back there if theres still anything to see !!!
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:21:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right Val.
It would seem to be a pretty isolated location for a pub, being the only building (apart from the farm)on the Rhymney road between the cemetery and the top end of Rhymney although there was another pub,equally isolated on the opposite mountainside on the Abertysswg road - The Halfway House.
I believe this pub was open until fairly recently - maybe it still is!!
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  00:38:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ken
You must be a night owl like me but I am going to bed now and trying to persude hubby but he's not biting at the moment. Will get there sometime soon hopefully before it snows !!! LOL.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:51:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Ken for sending in the below:-

Val, if you want to wait a few days (till the fog goes), I'll drive over and take some photo's for you ?

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  13:56:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre,
Thanks for your kind offer, it would be much appreciated, and if there is anything I can do for anyone else on the site if I can help I would be only too pleased to do so. At the moment I can access all the census returns so provided I don't get inundated I can look things up.
Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  20:36:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Val,

Here you go !

You can see how remote the place is below

I was going to get closer to take the first photo, but the person that now owns the building, has the name "shotgun" in his nickname !

Hope that helps,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  22:53:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre,
Thanks very much for taking the trouble to go up there and photograph them. Is this the Heathcock Inn site ? It certainly doesn't look the right sort of place for a pub, and I also would be wary of someone with shotgun as a nickname
I want to make another visit but will probably wait until the weather gets a bit warmer and search the cemetry as well.
Thank you so much for all your trouble, please contact me if there is anything I can do for you or the site.
Kind Regards Val
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  08:21:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Val,

Maybe Ken can confirm, but it could be the older white building to the right.

Glad to help,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  12:09:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre,
This is certainly the right location but looking again at the old map I get the impression that the Inn was a separate building sited closer to the road.
What you have here seems to be Cwmtysswg Farm and the old building on the right would appear to be the original farmhouse.
In which case, unfortunately for Val, the Heathcock Inn has long since been demolished and all signs of its existence completely eradicated.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  14:10:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valll,

Pierre's second picture shows a spoil heap on the right of the houses.

There were many pits and shafts around Tredegar in the 1800 hundreds. I have an old map with them dotted all over the place.

There was a similar small community on the old Rhymney Bridge/Merthyr Road, but it was flattened when they built the new road.

It looks to me as if it was a private pit village, with the big house probably the owners and the smaller houses the workers. It was also probably self supporting and would have had a small brewery and bakery.

Probably you can find out more inforation at the County Records Office, Cwmbran.

Good hunting,

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  14:34:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ken & Bryan,
Thanks all for taking an interest in my query, it is so nice to find helpful people out there who are willing to give up their time to help others.

Ken I agree with you it looks from the map that is the farm, with no sign of the inn, but we could be wrong.

Bryan When I get a chance I will ring Cwmbran and see if I can get some info from them. Thanks for that.

By the way I do not spend all my time on the computer, just most of it L.O.L. I have been known to do some housework!!!! ( forgive me swearing) Family history has become so addictive. Val
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  16:03:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the farmer who lives there is known as dai halfway his real name is david phillips.He had two brothers, one found in st james resovoir with his hands and feet tied many years ago. The other brother hywel died a few years ago.
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  21:32:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tarkus,
I wonder if they are any relation to the Phillips family who owned the Heathcock? Do I want to know.................... Val
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.