New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  18:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Paul for sending in the below photo. Paul added, "Photo taken outside Park Place Chapel Tredegar in 1962 Names anyone?"

rhyd boy
Advanced Member

New Zealand
166 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  20:45:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right front Paul Steed, right rear Philip Lewis ??
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

672 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2017 :  22:41:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would front left be Howard Wilcox ?
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

348 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  10:24:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both names you mentioned are correct rhyd-boy,they were at Tech the same time as us.So was the boy standing next to Phil Lewis.Any guesses who he might be?His first name was Malcolm.
The boy sitting bottom left is Terry Lewis.But i have to say Gareth he does look a lot like a young Howard (Herbie) Wilcox.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 27/03/2017 10:28:35
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  11:10:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that Michael Roach (sadly passed) middle front row?.
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

348 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  11:47:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Butch, it is Michael Roach.Such a nice boy was Michael.I knew him well as a youngster but lost track of him in later years, until i heard of his sad and untimely passing.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  12:00:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The chap next to Phil I'm fairly sure is Malcolm "Piggy' Purnell, he lived at the bottom of Duke St, there was a gully that led up to a 'smallholding' where they kept a couple of pigs and chickens etc. You could also get to it by going down to the Church at the bottom of U Coronation (opposite the Freemason's Vaults). There was a lane that ran down the side of the Church past the Church hall and few small cottages, the bakery (Prices I think) was on the corner and the Argus family lived next door, one of the other cottages was occupied by the Burr's I think, if you went pass the graveyard on the left and turned left it would take you to the 'smallholding' where Malcolm lived, he was a great character always in good form, I wonder what happened to him, anyone know?
I recognise the chap in the middle bottom row, but blowed if I can remember his name, not sure if it's Michael Roach as the only Roach I knew lived in Church St and that doesn't look like the one I knew. I have a feeling he was on the trip to the Continent that Phil and Paul and I were on, so was Uncle Bob! Bottom left looks a bit like Herbie Wilcox not sure though, can't say I knew Terry Lewis!
Come on Paul, tell us the names I'm intrigued!
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

348 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  15:48:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes titch it is Malcolm Purnell.The last time i saw him was down at Llanwern Steelworks in 1962 just after we had left school. Don't know if he settled down the Newport or Cwmbran way?
YOu know the 3rd from left in the back row too.Decent town goalkeeper at one time i believe.
I'm really enjoying this, and will reveal all names in a day or two if they have not been identified.All well with you Titch?
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2017 :  16:58:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not Roger Padfield is it?
Doesn't look like him!
I'll try and get the photo tidied up a bit and send it to you, good to hear from you!

I must try and track Malcolm down when I get a chance, in the meantime I'll ring my Aunt as she and my Uncle moved down to Llanwern when it opened and she knows quite a few Tredegar folk down there.

G
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

348 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  17:23:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titch,You are correct in saying it's not R.P.standing next to Malcolm
It is in fact Gary Meredith then Brian Wathan and Alwyn Harris.I have to admit that when i received this photo i could only name Malcolm, Phillip, Michael and Paul as i had forgotten the names of the others.
Probably because they were not in our regular circle of friends.
Reflecting back on our school days at Tech i suppose we had our school friends and out of school friends.Another reason perhaps is that neither Alwyn,Terry or Brian went to Tech, but i believe Gary did.Rhyd-Boy might know if he did or not?
All the Best.
H.S.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 29/03/2017 17:25:17
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  18:58:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Can't say I knew Alwyn.Terry or Brian. They must have been from up your way in Georgetown, was it York Terrace in those days?

Making good progress tracking Malcolm down, no reply from the number I have for him, will try again later this evening.

G
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

348 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  19:46:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Geography serves you well Titch, must be from Jumbo's teaching lol. If you do manage to contact Malcolm, please pass on my Regards and good wishes.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  22:21:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried to call Malcolm this evening but no reply, I'll keep trying. If I contact him I'll certainly pass on your regards.

Didn't we also call Jumbo 'FLUM' for some reason. Always a jolly and happy guy, don't remember him being in a bad mood, unlike Zombie!!!!!!!
G
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2017 :  01:51:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried again this evening, still no response!
#128534;
Go to Top of Page

rhyd boy
Advanced Member

New Zealand
166 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2017 :  03:37:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memory plays tricks, I think that Gary did go to the Tech but not sure. Jumbo was a good teacher I enjoyed Geography and went on to study the subject.The Tech was a second chance for many in the pre Comprehensive days.
quote:
Originally posted by Titch

I tried to call Malcolm this evening but no reply, I'll keep trying. If I contact him I'll certainly pass on your regards.

Didn't we also call Jumbo 'FLUM' for some reason. Always a jolly and happy guy, don't remember him being in a bad mood, unlike Zombie!!!!!!!
G

Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  00:31:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've written to an address I had for a Malcolm Purnell a couple of weeks ago as the phone number was x directory, haven't received a reply though, there are a couple of other numbers I can try so will keep you informed if I 'strike lucky'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.