Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2008 :  23:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have updated the schools section of the site with more info and pictures. Please go here to see.

however, we need some info on OLD schools of Tredegar. If you have some information (anything, like name of teachers, years you attended, memories of the school, pictures, etc, etc) please add them to this post, or please e-mail them to the team at webteam@tredegar.co.uk

Thanks,

Pierre
Georgetown School (old)
Headmaster Mr White (1974 - 1981 )
Other teachers include: Mrs Philips, Mrs Brown, Mrs Lewis, Mrs Edwards, Mr Jones (later head teacher ?) Mr Evans (good at football). Georgetown school knocked down around 1989 maybe ?

ken

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2008 :  16:27:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Georgetown School was built in 1877 and demolished in 1989. I was a pupil there in the 1950s. My first teacher was Miss L.Clark. I always thought she was really beautiful. The headmaster was a Mr. N. Evans who lived in Elmwood Terrace.Most of the teachers in the Junior School were male including Ivor Jimmie Jones,Edgar Thomas, David Davies, Cecil Davies, Oliver Holmes and Mrs Liz Francis. Mr. Clive Jones whom you refer to above did become the head teacher and was in my class all through the school. We were also in the local cubs together (12th Tredegar)> i have really fond memories of the school and all its staff.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Marshall

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2008 :  14:52:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I arrived into the Juniors in September 1966 and went into Miss Wright's class. She was a guitarist and there was a nice atmosphere. The following year it was onto Mrs Francis who was lovely; I was the temperature monitor! Then it was onto Cecil Davies and the Investiture year. If you didn't like recorders you'd had it. Oliver Holmes was my final teacher. A charmer but affable. I loved Doug Thomas and would have done anything for him. Making trays and baskets on Wednesday, being a milk monitor to the infants and playing football for the school were my memories. We won the league that year and Peter Jackson, now of the Daily Mail, presented the trophy to us. I teach now and am still proud of the tarnished pot I received and occasionally give it an airing to the boys here in Warwick. Harry Thomas was the Head, Mrs Gudge the secretary. Other staff: David Davies, Stanley Davies remain strong in the memory but the others have evaporated. Loved that school.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2008 :  16:50:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
earl st infants and juniors 1965-1971
headmaster, mr harris(trumpet)
other teachers,mr hamer
mrs grenter,mrs acerman,mrs burr,mrs blandford,mrs davies,mrs snook,jenifer williams,mrs williams(thunder guts)
Go to Top of Page

valleygirl

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  19:27:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you know the school between Bedwellty Pits and Pochin on the bend was luck to have survived a sliding tip in the 1920s One day the tip above slid and disaster was only diverted because the rear wall wa strong enough to hold it back look at it next time you pass it.
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  08:14:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
see B Gwent schools top in western mail on thursday
Go to Top of Page

valleygirl

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  18:49:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As there been any photos of the old Troed school on here it was burnt down for the District Nurse television series
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:04:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Vallygirl,

Yes we do have one, I'll see if I can find it - looks around at the webteam for help ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:23:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ron Harding's site has this if it's of interest to anyone- the bottom left link on the pages takes you to next page but is blank on mine! Still works though!
http://www.geocities.com/ronharding_133/Film1.html

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  20:57:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is one of Brian Gardners photos'

A great shot..

Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  10:58:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and a pal used to ride up there on our bicycles- always found the building had a strange smell to it!
Does anyone recognise any of the kiddies in the filming pics? I know they used some from local schools.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  16:37:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure many people will remember the dinner lady, Vera Evans at Earl Steet Infants who looked after us so wonderfully.
Have heard that she not so well thease days, hoping she gets well and we soon see her back in town.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  18:44:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember her and mrs morgan
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  18:48:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was mrs prosser from gainsbrough rd a dinner lady or a cleaner in earl st school?
Go to Top of Page

Penfold

Australia
118 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  22:02:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

I'm sure many people will remember the dinner lady, Vera Evans at Earl Steet Infants who looked after us so wonderfully.
Have heard that she not so well thease days, hoping she gets well and we soon see her back in town.

I think she had a family funeral the other week and managed to be at it but isn't that well at the moment still and hasn't been for some time now.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2008 :  07:27:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hooked On books.
by Anne Joseph.

Lisa Tippings, a teacher at Tredegar Comprehensive in Gwent, is a firm believer in out-of-school book clubs (the one she runs is a member of the Federation of Children’s Book Groups).

“If the children are confident in a small group, it will make them confident in the classroom,” she says.
Her club’s 10 members, aged five to 11, meet fortnightly and Lisa chooses stories that appeal to all the children while bringing in elements of the national curriculum. Lisa recommends Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean and David Wyatt, The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen and Weird Tales from the Storyteller by Daniel Morden and Jac Jones.
The children sometimes write poetry and Lisa also focuses on speaking and listening activities, encouraging the children to talk and answer questions about what they’ve been reading. They might even do more varied activities, perhaps making masks or swords, as long as it’s related to the book under discussion.
Lisa would like authors to read for the group and is fundraising with the children to make this happen. The club has gone so well that she is also starting a lunchtime version for her Year 7 and 8 pupils.

http://www.tes.co.uk/2590542
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2008 :  08:09:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check On Welsh Schools Demanded After Ex-Teacher’s Asbestos Death.
by Abbie Wightwick, Western Mail.

ALL schools in Wales must be checked for asbestos after the death of a retired teacher was linked to the carcinogenic building material, teachers’ leaders and the Welsh Assembly Government said yesterday.

Renee Blodwen Eden, 69, from Anglesey, was most likely to have died from exposure to asbestos in a school building, an inquest heard.
Coroner Dewi Pritchard Jones has now taken the unusual step of writing to Flintshire County Council because of the possible risk to others.
Recording the cause of death as mesothelioma due to asbestos exposure, Mr Pritchard Jones said it struck him as unusual as Mrs Eden had never worked with the substance. “I will be writing to Flintshire Council that it’s more than likely that it was from exposure to asbestos in their schools,” he told the inquest this week.
It comes as new NUT figures show 145 teachers died from asbestos-related disease in England and Wales between 1991 and 2000. The matter will be raised at the teaching union’s national conference, as well as the Association of Teachers and Lecturers’ conference next week.
Mrs Eden taught in three schools in Flintshire – Castell Alun, Hope Argoed, Mynydd Isa and Elfed at Buckley, before retiring in 1998. She had been fit and well before being diagnosed with mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos, last April. Ysbyty Gwynedd consultant pathologist Dr Tony Caslin, who carried out the post-mortem examination, told the inquest, “She may have been exposed once in her life – she may have walked through a building site. You don’t need very high exposure.”
He said Mrs Eden could have been exposed if she worked anywhere where asbestos was being “broken up or disturbed”.
Mrs Eden’s husband Allan and daughter Kate have been campaigning with the British Lung Foundation and welcomed the coroner’s intervention. Mr Eden, 71, from Llangoed, Anglesey, said he believed his wife’s death was the tip of the iceberg as just one asbestos fibre could cause disease.
David Evans, secretary of NUT Cymru, said many more teachers, pupils and anyone working in or visiting schools, could have been affected. Local education authorities should check all schools, he said yesterday.
“We want local authorities to assess the full problem in schools in Wales. To do that they will have to carry out a survey.
“This is a real wake-up call to the potential number of people who might have been, or might be, affected. It’s not just teachers but pupils and all people in schools.”
The Welsh Local Government Association was unavailable for comment.
In a statement Flintshire County Council offered its condolences to Mrs Eden’s family and said it was contacting the coroner to obtain the full details behind the inquest’s outcome. It added, “Like all public bodies, Flintshire County Council is under stringent legal health and safety requirements and is constantly monitoring and managing the safety of its buildings.”
A Welsh Assembly Government spokesperson said, “Locating and dealing with asbestos in schools, including removal if appropriate, is a health and safety matter for schools and LEAs.
“LEAs should have asbestos surveys of their schools. The Assembly Government does not have a specific budget for removing asbestos from schools although funding for investment in school buildings can be used to address this important safety issue.”

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/03/15/check-on-welsh-schools-demanded-after-ex-teacher-s-asbestos-death-91466-20626591/
Go to Top of Page

RedFlump

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  20:13:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended St Josephs RC Primary (then in its old site at the back of town) from 1980 to 1987. I remember Mr Gould as headmaster, shortly to be replaced by his wife, Mrs Gould. He was a lovely old boy, who used to open his office window and hand out apples and sweets to the kids. She was a smart, no nonsense woman, who could put the fear of god into you if she wanted to!

Miss Jones taught Infants 1, then you moved to Miss Fitzgerald (who is now headmistress), Mrs Davies and then Mrs Smith. The bright Junior 3s and Junior 4s were taught by Mr Hancock, who was again a lovely old boy.

Anyone else remember these characters? My late father, Graham Owen (of Ashvale) was Father Christmas many a time for the school.

Great to see this site up and running - gives a Swansea exile like myself a real glow!
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  20:23:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember shouting catholics catholics sitting on the wall earl st, earl st best of all.....no i wasn't 22 at the time i was only 6 years old.

Edited by - oldcefnlad on 18/03/2008 20:26:21
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  20:58:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Earl St Junior Mixed, 1951 - 1957ish Very fond memories of Mr Thomas and days working with him in his school garden growing vegetables, making yacht out of balsa wood.
Mrs Price in the infants, Mrs James, Mr Clifford Mantle and the choir/music, Mrs Bodycomb (Used to live in Church St, as far as I know she is still alive (Until 3 or 4 years ago) and living in Gilwern.
Mrs Blandford daughter of Mr & Mrs Llewellyn who used to live next door to me in Upper Coronation St. Her husband ran the fruit and veg shop in Morgan St. They had a son called Roger who became a doctor. Miss Burr from Park View was a student teacher, occasionally the class used to walk up to the Red Ground with her on warm sunny days for the afternoon, what we all got up to I can't remember but it was something we all looked forward to. I recall Mr Hamer well, I can see him now lashing out punishment to someone in my class, he had hold of his hand and with two rulers back to back gave the culprit an almighty series of lashes on the palm. It was so fierce he used to go red in the face as he administered it. He didn't have to do it too often though!

Edited by - Titch on 18/03/2008 21:13:36
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  21:09:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

Anyone remember shouting catholics catholics sitting on the wall earl st, earl st best of all.....no i wasn't 22 at the time i was only 6 years old.

Remember it well also, do you go as far back as 1951
Go to Top of Page

Canuck

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  04:24:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titch, you're giving your age away. How about some of those old pictures of the Conny Club and the Tech for us old expats.
Cheers,
Canuck
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  10:23:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canuck
I also went to the Tech, and have been a drinker in the Conny club,
I will put the word out for pics of both, and pass them on to the
web team,
Terry
Go to Top of Page

RedFlump

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2008 :  11:19:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! I remember yelling at the Earl Street kids! I aslo remember the school being demolished. A rumor went round that thre "white lady" - a ghost - haunted the school. There was a stampede when a bit of masonry fell and a girl screamed that she saw the white lady!!!
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2008 :  12:38:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some names of teachers when I was at the Tech at bottom of Sirhowy Hill.

Headmaster was Mr Sullivan. His Deputy later to become Headmaster was 'Buck Up', who taught Engineering Drawing. 'Flum' I think his name was Mr Llewelyn, Geography. 'Zombie'Maths Trig etc. 'Civ' Clive Evans, I think he took General Science also sports/games on the Deighton Ground. 'Tapper' Jones Chemistry. 'Stash' Prosser English lived in Park Veiw area, 'Old Bill' Metalwork. Brian Price, Big Ben sometimes called Cheyanne, R.E. and Sports (When I was at the Tech, I remember he got his first call up for the Ba Ba's, before he was capped for Wales,he later became Welsh Captain).
I think that was most of them, can anyone remember other teachers in that era?
Does anyone remember the Lorry losing its brakes on Sirhowy Hill and crashing into the bridge right beside the school?

What about the pupils that were about during that era? There were quite a few from Rhymney and Abertywssg if I remember correctly.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2008 :  04:29:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started at the Earl St Infant school in 1934 and the only teacher I can recall by name was a Miss Chamberlain. I have a school photograph of that period that includes, Rees Bennet, (cottage homes) George Moon, David Gardner (deceased).David Bennet, (died in an accident near Gwalia Stores, Union St,) I was five at the time so I assume we were all born about 1929. (David Gardner and I joined the R.A.F, on the same day in 1947) When I moved into the "big" boys school the teachers were, Idris Thomas, Mr Hopkins,Dan Lewis, Granville Davies, Ernie Evans, Mr MacPherson, and the headmaster was Edgar, (Cannon) Davies, who, (unlike the others who used the cane sparingly) was very liberal in his use of a cane, of which he had several, all of which were on display and not far from his reach. Before I left to attend what was then known as the Tredegar County School, ( T.C.S.) Edgar (Cannon) Davies was replaced by Mr Singer, who always wore tweed plus fours. He was an avid skier and annually visited Switzerland, quite a novelty at that time to have a teacher who had been "abroad."
When I moved to the County school the teachers that I can recall included Mr Wyndham Scandrett, Lorraine Jones ( she taught French), a lady who was a sister to Jack Sullivan, headmaster at the Technical school,(and she may have been called Miss Sullivan) Mr Shindler, arts teacher, Big Ben ??, a slim man nicknamed "Spider" who seemed to be always in a hurry, walking so fast his gown billowed out like a sail, and the headmaster was a Mr Saunders, who also depended on liberal use of the cane to get his point across. I received the cane many times in school and I am sure that most often I deserved them but the last four cuts, two on each hand from Saunders were particularly vicious, undeserved and stand out in my memory. We had mandatory weekly lessons in the Welsh language that I particularly dreaded, not because of the lessons but the aftermath The teacher (whose name escapes me) was a young man from North Wales who I am sure was well qualified to teach the modern and correct Welsh language. My mother on the other hand was born in the Rhonda Valley, didn't speak any English until she was thirteeen and I'm pretty sure the Welsh she learned as a child was a far cry from that properly passed on to my teacher. Each time when I had a lesson in Welsh my mother wanted to hear what I'd learned that day but no matter what I reported she claimed it was wrong. Further that my teacher obviously didn't know what he was talking about, he wrongly interpreted everything, he couldn't spell, his pronounciation was terrible, he used words that were not Welsh etc. My mother always ended our conversation with the threat that if I didn't go back and correct my teacher she would. The fact that she (God Bless her)didn't much care for North Walians (or West Walians or really anyone who wasn't from South Wales) didn't help matters and I was very glad when my first year at the County School ended and I transferred to the "Tech".
The teachers when I started at the "Tech" in 1941 included the headmaster, Jack Sullivan, Wyndham Scandrett, (who transferred when I did) Mr Elkins,maths and science, "Buck-Up" Jones, eng,drawing, Mr James, metal working, and Mr Joseph, wordworking. Mr Scandrett arranged and coached us in rugby and boxing at the Top Drill Hall.
My classsmates at that time included, Roy Williams, deceased (in Australia) Gwyn Jones, deceased (in Blaenavon), Derek Evans, deceased, Brian Mantle, deceased, Cliff Chater,deceased, Jim Burns, deceased, Ken Tippings, deceased, Eric Wilbram, Graham Morgan, Hayden Friend, and many others whose names I recall from time to time. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.77 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.