New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2018 :  00:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rspb result of the top ten garden birds of 2017 are;-
1. House sparrow. 2. Starling. 3. Blackbird. 4. Blue Tit.
5. Woodpigeon 6. Goldfinch. 7. Robin. 8. Great Tit.
9. Chaffinch. 10. Long tailed tit.

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  01:29:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blackbirds are the UK's most widespread garden bird, in 2017 they are up 29% and have been spotted in more than 93% of UK gardens.
I watch the Blackbirds on my lawn pulling up the worms to eat with their yellow beaks and eating the berries from my trees. I have male and female Blackbirds visiting and building nests in my garden bushes and hedge, I like to hear their song but I do not like them if they peck my apples on the trees.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  12:38:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a couple of pairs of blackbirds who visit our garden. The males are black with a bright yellow beak but the females are brown. Just like most other species the male is showing to attract a mate. The females obviously have no need to show off. :o)
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5314 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2018 :  23:35:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will love it when the Spring comes and you will hear them all singing ,I love all the little birds but my favourite is the robin

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2018 :  00:58:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Robin is also one of my favourites it is shy but can be a bully and very territorial. One day I was sat outside having lunch and a Robin flew and perched close by, it then flew onto the ground and began attacking my bare legs it did not stop until I moved.
Yet when we are gardening the Robins that visit throughout the year are quite tame and seem to follow us around, stopping now and again to eat the berries from the hedge.
The RSPB have reported that in 2017 the numbers of Robins seen visiting gardens was at its highest level for more than 20 years, increasing by 24% from 2007.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  01:04:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The RSPB report that Goldfinch numbers have increased by 44% since 2007.
I have had several of these in my garden but they do not stay long, they eat aphids so I am always grateful for their visit throughout the year. They are small and multicoloured, different tawny shades, black and white head with bright red mask, black wings with gleaming yellow stripe.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2018 :  12:02:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photo of a goldfinch in my garden last may

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2018 :  00:28:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ddraig, I am unable to view your photograph.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2018 :  10:27:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, followed the instructions, thought I had it right this time
Will have to get pierre to give lessons on how to insert image
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2018 :  00:45:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ddraig, thank you for trying.
Can I ask you, do you participate in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2018 :  10:44:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I did think about it, still have time so I might send for the pack
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2018 :  11:00:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I did think about it, still have time so I might send for the packjust downloaded it
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2018 :  00:20:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ddraig, have you had time to look at the counting sheet
Do you have any birds in your garden that is not included on the sheet.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2018 :  09:53:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only one that I can think of is a Wren and the odd Buzzard that comes for the small birds
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2018 :  01:08:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took some pictures of a bird of prey ripping and eating something (possibly a small animal). The bird was on top of a four foot tump of stones, three foot from the rear of my house, a magnificent bird.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1470 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2018 :  11:18:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regularly in the summer my cat catches mice, he kills them and then leaves them, whole, the Magpies do a quick rec of the garden every day and clean up the mice he leaves retiring to a nearby tree sometimes to eat them (yuck)
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2018 :  00:31:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magpies also eat little birds and steal and eat eggs from other birds nests. When I see Magpies I think of tuxedos, smart, monochrome, the black plumage changing colour blue, purplish iridescent sheen on the wing feathers and green on the tail. Many people do not like Magpies as they are associated with magic and superstitions. I would not say that I believe in such things but witches use Magpies to shapeshift into.

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  00:34:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rspb recipe for Bird Cake.
You will need, yogurt pots and string. Bird seed, cheese, lard/suet and raisins, if you have a dog do not use raisins as they are poisonous to them.
Thread string through a hole at the bottom of the pot, leaving enough string to enable you to tie the pot to bird table/tree.
In a bowl cut the lard/suet into small pieces, add cheese, raisins and seed mixing well.
Fill the pot with the well mixed ingredients and place in fridge to set.
Remove pot before hanging.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2018 :  01:13:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
R.S.P.B figures suggest a near 75% drop in the House Sparrow since the 1970s
The eaves on modern houses and loft conversions have less space for the Sparrows to breed in.
In the country, there is a lack of food where there is intensive farming methods.
A world leading Sparrow expert believes fumes from vehicles may kill the insects that Sparrows feed to their chicks, as well as affecting the adult Sparrows' health.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.